3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where are all the acorns?  (Read 703 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Where are all the acorns?
« on: September 06, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Scouting today. I covered 92 acres. Lots of oaks all over the property. Hardly any are dropping acorns and the deer seem to be... well... some place else. Sat by  one of the few big white oaks that were dropping mast. Had a bear come feeding through about 8 yards from me.  Found one good ridge with some sign (tracks and turds.  Any one else lacking acorn production?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where are all the acorns?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
hardly any here this year.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
They're all in my yard,  :mad:  but they are tiny things compared to normal. It feels like I have a gravel yard instead of grass.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
None here in West Tennessee either. The ones that are dropping are empty. Lots of pecan, hickory and oaks are dumping all the nuts early to fight for survival due to out severe drought we have been in. The pecans didn't make and the hickorys are still in the green shell. That early april freeze we had killed all the blooms and the ones that did produce didn't have enough moisture to make anything. Heck, the leaves have been drying up and falling for a month. The only ones available are red oaks because they take two years to produce and they are tiny but there is meat in them. Going to be a tough year on the deer around here. To add stress to an already stressed deer herd, we have had a severe outbreak of EHD and deer are dying all over the place.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
They are most diffintely in my yard, had to buy a cover for wifes car...To bad no deer here..
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Hard to believe as dry as it has been here, but I have found them everywhere I've looked. I really didn't expect to find many this year, but after seeing them on the trees in my yard, I went scouting the hunting land and found them on more trees than I have in several years. Go figure.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Mosquitos are eating them all at my House.  Never seen such a thing.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
I was concerned because we had a late frost that killed all my apples/pears but I checked a big white oak behind the house this weekend and it had lots of mid-sized acorns on them.  Still green though.  Don't know how the oaks up the mountain did though.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
The Spring freeze killed alot of the mast crop in the Midwest.Not good.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
The same thing happened here last year. The only thing I could find out(after A LOT of research) is that we had three or four days of heavy rain around the time they are viable, which reduced the chance of pollination.
The trees seem to be making up for it this year as acorns are all over.
Sounds like the one tree you found needs a stand in it or ablind by it. Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Plenty here in the areas I hunt. Not as big in size as normal but plenty of em. Spotty in places but that is a good thing. Find where there is only a few trees bearing and dropping and you have a honey hole.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Acorns everywhere in California this year...none last year. Hard to stalk quietly around oak trees.

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
lots of acorns here. problem is, deer are harder to pattern in the woods than coming out to fields everynight.

Offline Gote Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
The trees where I hunt at are loaded down this year with acorns. The apple trees started dropping apples last week and the deer are eating them up. I just wish it had waited until this week to drop them. Bow season starts here in TWO DAYS and I am ready to go.
I may give out but I will never give up.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Yup, we got plenty of acorns, most trees are heavy with them. There are few areas I hunt that the oaks do not have many or any, but they are few and far between.. I have to agree with Kingstaken as our deer numbers are way down in my part of NY anyway! Shawn
Shawn

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
ton's of them in our area this year

Doug77

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Plenty here on my land in Central MS. I haven't checked the Public Woods yet.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I have yet to find a tree with more than a few acorns on it. Apples look abundant!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Couldn't take all the talk without checking the tree here in TN ! In my 5 acre yard I have a good assortment of hickory, white and red oaks. No hickory nuts at all ! Red oaks, being that it takes two years, some have acorns if it was their year to produce, but seem small. Part of that is our severe drought in and around Chattanooga, TN. We are 16" behind on rain and have had 25 days over 95 degrees IN A ROW !!! White oaks are hit or miss. Some trees are loaded with good size acorns, others are small acorns and not many of them. After our 22 degree morning in mid April I cannot believe we have ANY mast !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
The mast crops here are enormous this year...except where the gypsy moth went through.

The white oaks on my little property are shedding like hounds.  Last year you had to look hard for a few of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©