3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally got to shoot!  (Read 433 times)

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally got to shoot!
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
This won't be a big deal to many, but I was very excited. I have had two back surgeries the last 6 years and then a bicep tendon surgery this May. So the last two years I had to hang my trad bows up and shoot a wheelie bow. Yesterday I got my recurve out. My bicep is weak still, I could only shoot 5 times, but boy did it feel good! This bow is 48-49#, if I can get my hands on a 40#'er I think I will be back in business. I stopped making bows after back surgery #2 or I would just make one.

Bottom 3 at 10 yards, top 2 at 15 yards. Accuracy is off, but consistency is good.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally got to shoot!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Looks good to me,glad you're able to get back at it.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Glad you are back to shooting!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
I have a 40# Wing, if ya want to shoot it til ya get back up to higher poundage, just let me know and I will ship it to you! When done just ship it back! Shawn
Shawn

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I sympathize and congratulate you 100%.  I'm a primary lefty, but shoot right sometimes as well, and recently developed a bad case of tendonitis and muscle strain in my right elbow making shooting right handed an issue.  I decided to sell my right handed bow so I wouldn't be tempted to exacerbate the issue.  Thankfully I can shoot lefty still, my primary, pain free..but it definitely gives you pause.  I have trouble imagining not being able to shoot at all and I am hugely thankful for my hobby/obsession haha.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the very generous loaner offer Shawn. I think I have a lead on one local. If it falls through I'll let you know.

I never even considered shooting lefty. Maybe I should because honestly gripping the string is what hurt the most, right where the bicep tendon was reattached to my forearm.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the very generous loaner offer Shawn. I think I have a lead on one local. If it falls through I'll let you know.

I never even considered shooting lefty. Maybe I should because honestly gripping the string is what hurt the most, right where the bicep tendon was reattached to my forearm.

-Mike

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Wow, I think it's a big deal!  Congratulations on getting back at it.  A lot of us who HAVE been shooting would be jealous of those groups.
Jim

Offline wazu02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Haven't been in that situation as of yet but I can imagine the feeling you were having after not being able to do something. Great accomplishment. Great shooting.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Thanks folks. A local guy wants to trade a 40# Kodiak for this bow. I am considering it for 2 reasons. 1) The weight is about perfect for my bad bicep right now. 2) that is the first bow I ever owned, except mine was 45#. I was 12 and my mom bought fit for me off of my uncle.

-Mike

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Drop weight and you should be in business! Happy to hear you are back at it. Happy hunting!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
what a glorious day!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
I couldn't believe how good it felt to be shooting a recurve again. I am not a compound hater, but I didn't realize how disconnected I felt at the shot until I started shooting this bow again. Immediately I was smiling even on bad shots. I really missed it.

-Mike

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Hang in there Coop. You'll be back in the groove in no time!
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Welcome back!  I think it's a huge deal to be back shooting trad after what you've been through!  Go slowly and work yourself back into it.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
congrats on getting back, i have broken both bicep tendons and did both of them in october, i could shoot with one of them severed, the other i could not..and i waited way to long for surgeries..  I know its tough to get back from those surgeries but if you take care of things you will be like a new man.. again, congrats !! just be carfull that stuff takes a long time to heal..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Go slow and steady .... wish you the best in your recovery
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks folks.

My bicep tendon really has taken a long time to heal Dave. I wrongly assumed it would be more like my back surgeries; pain but at least then I could do stuff in a few months. This is totally different.

-Mike

Offline pap62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
Coop if you want to try left handed, I have a brand new Cari-bow Wolverine at 45 lbs. I would drop it off being I'm in Acme all the time picking up bits and pieces of my trail cams due to the new resident bear.
Try it for a couple weeks see if that works for you if it does then go out and buy a recurve.
I just can't shoot a longbow so I'm sticking with my Widow.
Black Widow PTF
Cari-bow Wolverine
Bob Lee Sign. Elite (grandsons)
Abbott LB  (grandsons)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©