3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Who's looking for their first traditional harvest? Just for fun whats your set up and how long have you been at it?

I'll start it off I'm looking for my first trad deer. I hunted trad for 2 years about 6 years ago and this is my first year back at it.

My setup is a  Black widow PMAX 45# with CX Heritage arrows and a 150 grain magnus stinger.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
This will be my first year using a recurve.  I got rid of my compound this last jan.  I am use gonna my bear kmag or my hoyt dorado and using the beman centershot arrows with either the zwickey eskalite or the good ole bear razorheads. Not sure yet, I will figure that out when I get back state side.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Trying for my first this year.  I've been shooting for 2 1/2 seasons now, but this year is the first year I feel really confident in my shooting ability.  The lease I was on was not set up for close enough shots.  The last two years I've only hunted with my bow about 5 times.  I was there but wouldn't have shot at anything but broadside inside 15 yards which was really preventing me from hunting more.

Oh, and this year I'm going to the Midwest in a "target rich environment".  I'm going to stick one!  If I don't kill something this year, it's off on a pig hunt for me.  I'm determined to draw blood on something.

My setup is in my signature.

I'M SOOOOOOOOO READY THIS YEAR!!!!!!!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
This will be my first year completely dedicated to traditional ONLY.  I've taken my Dorado a few times in the past but never with any real dedication. I've shot almost every day since Jan 1st of this year in preparation for taking nothing but sticks and strings to the woods this year.  I'm hoping for my first traditional deer in about 3 weeks.

I haven't yet made up my mind about which bow I'm gonna bring...I've got to many to choose from.  Bow buying and collecting is almost as addictive as shooting them lol.

At the moment I'm down to two that may go to the woods. Black Widow PLGA longbow, 53# @ 29". Or White Wolf longbow, 57# @ 28".  I'm really liking the feel of the longbows. But I may break down and take one of my recurves.

Gold Tip traditional 35-55's, cut to 29", with 200 grain WereWolf broadheads.  These fly great out of both the LB's.

Good Luck to everybody!

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
This will be my first year hunting. Ever!
I am traditional only. Don't really care to do it any other way...
My set up Bama Hunter longbow 45# @ 27", 546 grain Douglas fir surewood shaft with natural turkey (Magnus) feathers and 130 grain STOS broadheads
Might be getting my new bow anytime soon a Bama Expedition Hunter reflex/deflex longbow 58" 52# @ 27"
We will see.....
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I'm trying to get my first buck with trad gear.
Shooting a hoyt buffalo 55@ 28" I draw close to 30"
Shooting bear razorheads with beman center shot .400 spine 30.75" with standard 17 grain insert and 145 up front.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Like many others... This will be my first year to actually hunt with traditional gear.  I have been shooting and practicing for about 1 year and 9 months.  I routinely shoot in a monthly 3D competition that is held at the Sportsman's club of which I am a member.

I will be hunting Pronghorn Antelope in Wyoming during this coming October.  I also hope to hunt WT Deer and hogs here in Texas this year as well.

I shoot a Shakespeare Super Necedah recurve.  The bow is marked 60- pounds and it draws a true 58 pounds at 28", which is my actual draw length.

I am a subscriber to the thoughts and science of Dr Ed Ashby.  

My arrows are 750 grains total weight.  I shoot carbons and Douglas Fir woodies.  Both are tipped with 225 points and broadheads.  The carbon Gold Tip arrows are a 7595 Expedition Hunter, with a 100 gr insert, 125 gr tip adapter, and 225 gr tip / BH, resulting in 29.7% FOC.  The woodies have a 75 gr woodie weight, the same 225 gr tip / BH, and 22.5 % FOC.  My broadheads are Tuffheads and the target tips are made by Joe Furlong as well.

With this setup I think I'll be able to kill anything that walks here in the Western Hemisphere!  - LOL

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
This is the first year that I will be hunting with traditional gear.  My buddy gave me a PSE Sequoia as a wedding present last October, but it was too late in the game to hunt with it that season.  The PSE is 55# at 28 and will be flinging CX Heritage 150's with 125gr Stingers. I'll be hunting whitetails on my property and on public land.  Good luck to everyone.
    Jon   :archer:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
This is my first season...  Got my BW PL-III back in Dec and went bear hunting up in Ontario last month, but the weather and bears didn't cooperate....  deer season opens this weekend!  I'll do my part if the deer do theirs!

Best of luck to all who endeavor!

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I've been hunting for 3 seasons now totally with trad gear. 35 years total. Still looking for my first trad deer from the ground. Started using a ghillie last season and I had a total of 4-5 deer within 10-15 yards on different occasions. Been practicing at least 3-4x per week and Im shooting very well and am very confident going into this season.

Shooting a Predator Hunter, 46@28, 2016 arrows cut to 29.5, with 130 heads. I'm a gapper.

This is my year! I can feel it!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Good luck to all of you!  

I was in your shoes during the 2010 deer season. Killed two does with my curve that season. Very exciting even to someone who has been bowhunting since the 1960's! Actually, I was returning to curves after having switched to compounds in 1975.

It is very important that you pick a spot. Without a sight to focus your attention on the kill zone it is very easy to look at the entire animal and shoot the edges which can be a miss (high for me) or worse.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Well, might not exactly be my first, but my first traditional in a long time. Was badly injured in a fall on a construction job, and had to go another route for 4-5 years. Worked real hard and can shoot somewhat regular now, but only about 50# I'm shooting a Fulldraw Custom hy-bred longbow, 29 1/4 inch draw Gold Tip Gt's full length with 175 grain Simmons Tigersharks up front

Offline STL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I've been shooting traditional for around 7 years or so, but haven't done much hunting in the past 10 years.  

I hit a doe two years ago but lost her after having a four wheeler accident that almost killed my father and banged me up while going back to track her.  I was thankful we were ok, but devastated that I lost my first traditional hit.  I don't like losing animals!

Anyway, we moved last fall, so I didn't get to hunt any, but I'm looking to change that this year.

I dropped down in bow weight while switching form, so I'll be after them with an old Pearson Hunter recurve(45#).  I'm shooting some Beman Hunter 40/60 arrows, and will probably shoot 125g Muzzy's (or either some Zwickeys).

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I am hoping that this is the year!!!! This is my second full season to be hunting.
I am hunting with a Howard Hill longbow 55# @27 160 gr. HH Broadhead Shurwood shafts.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Good luck to you all!
Repeat after me.... pick a spot, push, pull...pick a spot, push, pull.....pick a spot, push pull.
Memorize this by heart, as there will be a quiz later.
Go gettum guys!   :archer:

Offline deertag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I only got the bow shortly before last season but was shooting the wrong arrows in a good group at 10 yards so I figured why not sit in the stand.  My first hunt out last year missed a 200+# hog at 10yards- twice!  I was a bit excited. Then the next morning, first morning ever with my recurve, 8am, big doe and yearling at 10  yards, and I hit her!just about perfect, however she had her shoulder closest too me stepping back and the arrow caught just the back edge of her scapular bone, and had only about 3 inches of penetration. I had the wrong broadheads the wrong arrows and even those were not tuned.  i felt bad, but felt better later when i caught her on my deer cam at another stand a week later.  could see the wound, i got several other pics of hear and her spike yearling over the next 2-3 weeks until she was completely healed up.  I'll be after her or her son again in the same stand opening day this year to try again, but with a better(complete) setup.  will be shooting martin x-150 41# at 27.5", woodsman elite 125g, arrows(1916?) on the way.  i've killed many deer with guns, but when i shot her it was like i was 16 years old all over again.  can't wait!
david

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Still at it, have been for a long time. Hunting with my River Runner 60" 46# @ 29", 2016 alum. Magnus and Zawicky Eskimos and Bear Razorheads. Also on the ground......I like it there.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Well, I'm looking for my first of the year, just not my first ever. I've been hunting with longbow only since 1980 so I have a few under the belt. Like they said above.  PICK a spot, a very small spot. Otherwise I will guarantee you will shoot clean over them
Good luck to all you guys new to this, it can be so rewarding.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Feeling like this is going to be the year. Season opens in 5 days. I'm shooting good and have promising trail cam pics. GOOD LUCK to all you others looking for their first trad harvest
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I'm going trad for the first time. I've taken 2 years off from deer hunting, but am back. I've taken 4 with wheel bows, a long time ago, and averaged 2 a year with a gun for about 25 years. The challenge of trad, the more intimate scenario is what I'm after now. I shoot one of Scott Mitchell's Falcon long bows, 44# 3555 GT arrows with 2 blade Eskimoes.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©