3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
what a great thread!
  I love hearing all the details and excitement!

I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to the stories and pics!

There is nothing like the first Traditional harvest. when i switched to a trad bow it took me 3 years before i put a deer on the ground! There were alot of close calls, misses, and just out of ranges. Now looking bakc I would not trade a single one of those moments for anything! Enjoy every minute you are outdoors. Dont get frusterated as every thing that doesnt work teaches you how to use what doesn work. Every close call makes you that much better of a hunter. The place you are in right now is the most "absorbant" place there is. You will learn so much becasue you want it so bad. I will say in advance, for those of you that make your first harvest congrats! For those of you that don't, worry not as you just became that much better of a hunter and it will happen!

Offline JUST-DOO-IT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Looking for my first Moose with trad gear. Heading out on Friday for 9 days trying to fill a bull tag.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Three years and still trying.  :dunno:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
Good luck to you all, I wish you all a safe productive season. I hope you all get one.
Tom

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
This will be my 4th (and hopefully last) season in my quest for my 1st trad mammal (killed a couple carp 2 yrs. ago, but I'm not countin' them, lol). Last season, I came REALLY close to getting a buck, but I moved too fast & too much with no cover between us @ 20 yds. I'm hunting from the ground with no blinds. Just my K-Mag (50 @ 28") GT Trad arrows and Grizzly or Eclipse broadheads (depending on which arrow I grab).

I don't believe in luck, so God bless all of us with a fun and productive season!

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
I'll be out on October 1st trying for my first trad deer kill. I've killed lots of deer with guns and compounds but never with a Trad bow. I'll be using either my Greatree Solo deluxe 47@27 or my Howard Hill "wesley special" 61@27. I want to shoot my HHA wesley but bought the wrong spine arrows for it an they are not flying well enough with broadheads soooooooooo until I get some 65/70 spine I'm with the Greatree.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
I'll be out on October 1st trying for my first trad deer kill. I've killed lots of deer with guns and compounds but never with a Trad bow. I'll be using either my Greatree Solo deluxe 47@27 or my Howard Hill "wesley special" 61@27. I want to shoot my HHA wesley but bought the wrong spine arrows for it an they are not flying well enough with broadheads soooooooooo until I get some 65/70 spine I'm with the Greatree.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
I'm after my first trad deer this year. I had been away from trad archery for a few years, got back into it last year but lacked confidence to take any shots. I'm practiced up this year and ready to go! My main bow will be my 89 Kodiak with 2117 arrows. Good luck to all and please be careful, we need everyone healthy to tell success stories at the end of the season!

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
This will be my first season with trad gear. I'm hitting the Ohio deer woods with my new Hitman Longbow. 56# @ 28 with GT Traditional 55/75 tipped with NAP Razorcaps.
I have four private farms to hunt as well as the Five Rivers Metroparks conservation parks.
When I do get my first kill with my Hitman Longbow, you will know it. All of you will hear me lol
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
picked up my first traditional bow in november last year.  this year im hunting with selfbows and wood arrows.  got a 40#@29" osage semi-recurve i just finished with copperhead skins, and im shooting it very accurately, also have a 53#@29" osage bow that im not quite as accurate with, but still good inside 15 yds.  they are likely to both spend time in the woods with me.  but copperhead is first!  monday afternoon i will be up on the ridge in a blowdown. wish me luck!

Offline refugerambler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
This is my second full year with trad only. I'm hoping to get at least one this year, missed 6 last year (nerves). I think I'm ready this year. I'll be using my black creek phantom with gt traditional 5575's and 225 gr eskimos.
Bear Cheyenne 55@28
Brooks Artisan 53@28

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Trying to get my first, second, third, fourth, fith this year:)

Using Toelke whip 58 @ 28
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Second year trying. Went to longbow this year. Much happier and accurate. Seems the simpler I go, the more fun I have. I am shooting my Big Jim Buffalo. 51#@29". I draw 27.5. Shooting GT 3555 29.25 with  175gr woodsman broadheads. D97 string made by yours truly with wool silencers.

I am hoping to just see some deer this year! They are pressured here in west Michigan. Best to all of you!!! Put some meat in the freezer and be safe!
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
I moved to MT in July and won't be a resident, hoping I can secure a freezer for meat if I'm able to get a doe license. If not gonna have to wait till next year. I bought my TT last December and have been shooting quite a bit. 30 inch GT XT Hunters, 275 grains up front with VPA 3 blade. Haven't gotten a shot @ a deer but if everything works out I just might this year!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
This will be my 2nd year with trad only gear. Didn't hunt as much as I planned last year. We had such a warm fall / winter last year it was hard to get enthused some days. Hoping for some cooler weather this fall, the summer has been just a little "cooler" (if you call mid nineties cool) than last year. As for set up...right now it is the Caddo listed in my signature with some Axis Trad 400's and Magnus Stingers @ a total weight right at 530 grains. Going to pick up new bow tomorrow though, so we'll see  :)
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
This will be my 1st "going all out" Traditional season. I have deer and a bear on my agenda we shall see what happens
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
I'm still looking for my first BOW kill (of course, traditional.) I've been shooting traditional for 15ish years. (I'm not real active.) Not going to Colorado this year   :(  So local whitetails it is, or hogs if the opportunity arises.

This year I'm shooting a Shrew takedown 50# @ 28"
Poplar arrows with self killed turkey feathers and a 135gr Magnus w/75gr woodyweights.
Romans 8:28

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Good luck everyone and be persistent! I finally got my first one last year after 8yrs.
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Good luck to all of you. The first is something special for sure.

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Good luck to all you guys after your first trad kill! Once you get it, you will be hooked for good.

There is no other feeling like that when you walk up to a critter you just shot with a trad bow.

Good luck, gents!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©