3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?  (Read 1171 times)

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is trying for their first traditional harvest this year?
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Good luck to all, stick with it and it will happen. Like already mentioned, PICK A SPOT!   :archer2:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
This will be my first trad year. I'm using a Black Widow PSA at 55#, 27".

I have killed about 100 deer with compounds, so I'm not new to bowhunting. I've been feeling the urge to ditch the compound for the past couple of years, and after deer season last year I did it. Doubt I'll ever go back to a compound actually.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
First year trad, fist year 100% on the ground.

Holm Made River Runner 60'' 48@28 VPA Terminator.

I carry a Walkstool on a Kifaru E&E pack and sit on the stool with the legs collapsed. A super simple light wt setup.

My max effective range is only about 12 yards.
The plan is to hunt the thick, when in doubt get closer.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
I am going for my first white tail. I started trad bow hunting, and deer hunting in general, (never gun hunted) last fall, half way through the season. I got very close once, but was busted at the last min.
My setup is a 62" Don Down Green Mountain camo Styk Bow with clear glass, 52# @ 28". I shoot Gold Tip Woodgrain traditionals 3555, with a 170 Zwickey Delta broadhead. I fletch my own shafts right helical with Magnus' Wild Turkey Feathers, 5" right wing, shield cuts.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 01:24:00 AM »
If I get my shooting good enough, I'm going to try with my trad bow this season. Its a fuse intrepid recurve 45# pull. I had a local shop make me a dozen arrows, half with target points, half with broadheads because I want to practice, practice and achieve accuracy before I step foot in the woods with it.

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
I really would like to hunt with my recurve this year but I just started shooting a couple months ago, I don't believe I will be ready by the time season starts. I think I will give myself another year of practice.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Well i made the switch last winter, when I picked up a 58in tall tines here on tradgang. With the help of a coworker, i got it tuned up and shooting well. I shot it as much as i could this summer, and i think I'm ready to give it a try.  Good luck everyone.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Third year trying on whitetails. I had 3 shots last year and missed 3 times. After each shot, I can honestly say I never picked a spot.  I will be shooting a Timberhawk Monarch 52# with a 29 inch Gold Tip Traditional 175 grain 2 blade.   Season starts October 1.   Good luck to all !!!!!!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
It comes down to a few seconds when you draw the bow.

Don`t worry about missing, or where the deer is looking...keep your shots limited to those you KNOW you can make and do not shoot at alerted deer.

With more than two decades of shooting deer with recurves I can tell you this...PRACTICE is vital, but the BEST practice for hunting, is ONE COLD SHOT!...Pick up your bow and simulate a real hunting situation, and take ONE shot. No warm ups, no repeats...just one shot!  Do this every chance you get. It will help teach you to concentrate if you discipline yourself to ONE shot.

All of the pressure to "produce" is created in our own minds. The time we spend on bowhunting is "expensive"....most of us don`t have any time to waste, and we must show some validation for the time we spend. This pressure can be minimized by confidence!

In the last four days I have shot about two dozen arrows...most of them were replicated "one shot kills".

I missed more deer than I like to admit when I first revisited the recurve...one shot practice sessions have really helped.

Best of luck to everyone in their quest! You will find, that even after dozens of deer to your credit, it will STILL require the same amount of effort!  :campfire:

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Take plenty of pics guys!

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Trying again f
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Trying again for my first traditional large game. I have shot rabbits and snakes but no hogs or deer. I did pass on some shots that could have taken but didn't feel comfortable. My main setup is a northern mist classic. 68" 65@28 and I'm pulling 29 1/2. Back up is HH jungle cat 66" 64@28. Going to hunt ground mostly but will have my climber handy if I need it.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
My son will be trying for his first traditional kill this year.He is 12 years old ,he took a spike whitetail buck last year with different equipment but wants to use his Black Widow PSA ll ,beman mfx classic 600 spine arrows tipped with 150 grain silver flames he is pulling 37 lbs at his draw length.Good Luck everyone

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I started bowhunting last fall, deer season.  I am looking for hogs (always) or deer this year.  When it gets cold, I am looking for anything fur bearing, or if I can eat it (and I will).  

62# longbow and Axis 400, 100 gr Muzzy, 9 gpp
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline birddogdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I'm trying too.  Had a nice bull at 80 yrds which was very exciting...and a very nice pronghorn buck at 40 yrds with a decoy on barren ground.  Thought for sure I'd get to send an arrow his way...lots of fun anyways!

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
I will be going for my first traditional kill this year, I have been shooting a recurve for the last 8 months and have decided my compound will stay in the closet this year. I will be using a 50# Toelke Chinook, Beman MFX Classics, and 2 blade Magnus classics. I hope over the next few months there is a thread full of first traditional kill pics from all you guys
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Skittles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I will be going for my first also. Was out this morning saw four doe but was unable to get a shot off on them.    :knothead:    :knothead:

Offline osagestick90

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 03:35:00 AM »
I'm going to try trad for the first year also for my first bow kill. I already hunt on the ground and can get close, sometimes too close or behind me at 5yds.

But I've got a plan this year to hide in the pine trees they farm near me and catch the deer going to the soy beans. From the edge of the pines to the hedgerow they cross is 11yds.

Maybe just maybe I'll get to Whip one  :)
Toekle Classic Whip 62" 56@28

Browning Wasp 56" 45@28

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Going for my first bow kill, trad or otherwise, and I will be hunting trad only. I started shooting trad march 2012. Didn't take any shots last year. Hoping to this year!

I'm shooting my Wes Wallace mentor 60" 64@31 (my draw length), full length easton axis fmj 300s, and 260gr Abowyer brown bears and/or 275gr werewolf broadheads.

Should be fun!
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Still looking for my first kill.Other than squirells that's about it.Hopefully I will get something this season.
From my cold,dead hands..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©