3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow+ New knives+ Old friends=Dead Bear  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
New bow+ New knives+ Old friends=Dead Bear
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Need I say more!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow+ New knives+ Old friends=Dead Bear
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
As many of you Stickflingers here know, my spring is busy helping other guys/gals live adventures chasing black bears here in Manitoba. With Manitoba offering a fall season each year, my good friend David (MbBowman...who happens to be my head guide) and I decided to put out a few baits close to home to try our hand at local fall bears.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I apologize for the lack of photos documenting this hunt as it is all on video which I won't be able to share for a while....sorry guys!

David and I based our bait site locations on natural food sources which we figured would place bears in the area regardless of our baits. The annual berry crop dictates how well the bears hit baits in the fall and we knew we were up against a strong berry crop. We planned to hunt some fringe terrain where the big woods of the Canadian shield meet the prairies where the bears hit the agricultural crops quite hard each fall prior to harvest. Oats fields were our main target which were few and far between amongst the multitude of soy beans and canola.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Baits were established and lightly baited at the beginning of August awaiting the busy few weeks ahead of constant rebaiting with trying to fit in hunts.

With a 2 week family camping trip east to Duluth planned, I leaned on my trusty friend David to do the work of hauling bait throughout August....thanks buddy! We had a good friend come out from Quebec who managed to kill a bear his second night out after passing on around 10 other bears up to that point.

As many guys can relate, the only issue for David and I now was to find time between work, family life, and other obligations to hunt. Davids hunt is still unfolding so I won't comment on any of his action. For me, the only opportunity was Sept 1st for a morning hunt.

Heading out pre dawn, road coffee in hand, and the temperature just above freezing is exactly what my soul needed. By noon I had only seen one young boar that would be about 6 feet and likely just P&Y for those who care. Regardless of the slow action, it was an amazing morning.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Rewind a bit here...

2 springs ago I was gifted an absolutely amazing knife from my friend and deadly bear camp client Brian Lance (Bel007). The knife handle is made from a bone from a bear (possible forearm or foot bone) and crafted superbly. I had been saving the knife for the next bear I shot.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Look at that!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Those who know me, know that I'm a real fan of Brian Wessels Tall Tines bows. That said, Brian made me the most pretty Birdseye Cocobolo 58", #58 r/c you'll find. Something about this bow (perhaps my shorter draw properly utilizing the short limb) makes it noticeably fast....like the kind of fast you don't expect!. That, along with the flared riser, checkered grip, and lower wrist make it a real shooter for me.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
:campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Very nice!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Hah.  I had heard rumors of some activity way up in paradise.  Looking forward to more of the story buddy.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
So a week later (after the 1st hunt) I finally had an opportunity to head out for an evening hunt. Now my usual pickyness over size would not be a factor as I've had an overwhelming desire to place more emphasis in the hunt, the method, the experience with friends, and to document things on film.

I was fortunate to be able to share the stand with a close friend named Earl (Hunter709) who had filled his bear tag this spring and was chomping at the bit to just be in the woods. I was very surprised to be handed a gift from Earl as he climbed in the truck. Earl explained it was a belated 40th B-day gift that he has been waiting on. Digging to the bottom of the gift bag I was beside myself to find a neck-knife made from the same wood that Brian had made my new bow from. Now who can argue that that's not super awesome!!!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Well it was a great day! Earl and I on our man date hunting excursion, two of the coolest knives in the pack, and my favorite new bow just wanting to launch an arrow tucked in it's case in the back seat. As I age, man do I appreciate opportunities like this!!

Our short hour and fifteen minute drive flew by as we chatted about everything going on in our lives as we pulled up on the grown in 2 track. The process of getting ready and walking in took about 5 times as long as it should due to the footage we were trying to capture. Finally....finally...we were settled!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Just a note about the video!!

I have hopes of accumulating enough footage of Canadian Traditional Bowhunts over the next few years to have something to share with everyone. No fist pumping, no "rage in the cage", nothing will be taking "dirt naps", and no-one will be reacting in ways they've been socialized into believing they should react. Just stickbow hunting as we do it. God willing it pans out!!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
So there Earl and I sit...perched maybe 9 feet up and 12 yards from the drums...all is quiet with a light rain...except Earls stomach!! Half a peanut butter sandwich cut the growls in half as the first bear made his appearance.

The overly cautious 5 foot Blackie circled the bait numerous times before settling in at the bait. His nervous demeanour kept us on edge for what was to come.

The little guy came and went a couple of times throughout the night, and much to my surprise nothing else was showing up. As darkness began to fall on our dim lit coniferous hideout, the sound of bears became evident from various areas around the bait. It was like someone hit the "on" switch. Bears were chasing each other in every direction.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
Just a note about the video!!

I have hopes of accumulating enough footage of Canadian Traditional Bowhunts over the next few years to have something to share with everyone. No fist pumping, no "rage in the cage", nothing will be taking "dirt naps", and no-one will be reacting in ways they've been socialized into believing they should react. Just stickbow hunting as we do it. God willing it pans out!!
I'll look very forward to that.  I saw in a new Schnees catalog there was a new show called "Solo Hunter". I figured they must be like Mike Mitten so I recorded an episode...I wanted to puke.  Crossguns and disrespectful fist pumping slobs.    :(

There has to be ONE photo or even a freeze frame shot    :dunno:

Still looking for a couple trail cam shots from you too...

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
Keep it coming Ryan  :campfire:

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
As what appeared to be a good bear circled maybe 10 yards behind our tree, I noticed it was indeed immature and whispered to Earl.."it's not big enough". As Earl looked back at me he noticed a bear near the bait that we were oblivious to and whispered back to me "but that one is"!

As I slowly turned around a nice solid mature bear floated into the bait site like a ghost. The size of the head, the fat belly, and the length indicated it was just what I was looking for. A soft whisper to Earl to record, and a slight glance at the video screen to assure filming light, gave me the green light to go into shoot mode!

I picked a spot, visualized my shot sequence and followed the process I just imagined.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
The arrow hit an inch (maybe 2) to the right of the spot I picked and passed through striking the plastic drum with a loud "thwack". Pinned to the drum with the arrow, the bear kinda hesitated in his reaction to run, but made short time of 70 yards before going quiet. No moan...no moan...no moan... made me hesitate on taking up the trail.

A quick text to David revealed a reply with the warm weather forecast with rain. I knew the shot was good so decided to see what we had.

The VPA (200gr.) left an easy to follow trail with an expired bear 70 yards away.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Nice job Ryan.  Beautiful bear (and bow).  Can't wait to see the video.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©