3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons Tree Shark Question on Shot Deer  (Read 993 times)

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons Tree Shark Question on Shot Deer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Yes at one of the places I am fortunate enough to hunt we have 100 doe tags.  So I try to do my part.

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Cman I just sent you pics

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Widow, I agree... I am using the rage as an example of how a wider blade doesn't penetrate as far as a thinner head would. Don't forget the compound arrow is traveling much faster. I also agree that there may have been a shaft issue before the shot was taken.

Five or six years ago I shot at a deer that was almost perfectly broadside to me when I released. The deer was on alert and when the arrow got to it the arrow hit it in the front of the lower neck. Upon internal inspection the next day the two blade head penetrated one lung about 1/2". I guarantee you if I was using a even a three blade head or a wider land shark I would have never found that deer.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Here ya go.  Left a hole that's for sure!

Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Something had to get into the cage must have been just enough to get the job done.  You don't by chance have a lung or inside chest pic?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
I'm thinking the head traveled the side of the deer on the shot and the Deere reaction. It Doug just enough to finally catch the edge of a rib hanging the direction into the deer the tip penetrated the one lung and the blades being wedged between the ribs and the arrow momentum kept carrying it and snapped it off where it was wedge. Just behind he point? Idk lol. That's my explanation. But I'm not too good either at theories and hypothesis.    :biglaugh:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
what did the lungs look like when you gutted it?
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
That's the thing the chest cavity was not tore up at all nothing like my normal lung shot deer, and no I didn't take any pics of the inside rib cage there was a tiny 1" slit on the inside right rib cage that's it. I mean the lungs are inside the ribs a little ways so at most that tip maybe just barely touched one. IDK I have shot several deer and only hit one lund and had to track a lot further than this guy.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Very Strange indeed. One lung hit deer can go a longways and some have been known to survive. Maybe shock kill the deer. Heart attack?? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
He knew it was you Brain and a Simmons so he just gave up.

Seriously folks, I've seen Brian knock the centers out of clay targets hung up by fishooks and clean out the center while leaving the rest of the clay intact. And this was three in a row with someone else's bow. The man can shoot.

Congrats on the deer Brain. Hope the rest of your season is a good one.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
The deer ruptured his aorta trying to twist and get away from bk's arrow.

That's the only thing I can think of.
   :knothead:  
ChuckC

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
SO, has it done anything to your confidence in the heads?   BILL

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Like Shawn said, heart attack or maybe did the deer run into a tree and break its neck? This is strange.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
I've seen several animals die with wounds that you would not think would kill them. Its one great reason to not give up a track.
My son killed a nice bull elk with a brisket shot that never touched anything but brisket meat. The bull bled out and died in about 500 yards. the arrow never penetrated into the chest cavity at all. There also was not much blood after the first 50 yards or so from the wound. We never did figure out why he died.

Anyway as to what caused this shot to not penetrate or why the deer died?????????? Good question and I doubt we ever get the answer.

God bless, Steve

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
I wouldnt give up on the tree sharks. I think that was just one of those freak things that happen once in a rare while. Could happen with any head. I havnt heard anything but good about them.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
Wow, strange things happen. Congrats on the deer !

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Yeah.....I really like the heads I can get them sharp and they fly great. Its just one of those freak things, I will try them again who know what the exact reasoning was I wasn't filming so I will never know. the broadhead did its job though lots of blood and deer on the ground. I would have liked to see what a double lung shot looked like.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
I've been following this one... I cannot offer any thoughts on the matter of how the deer died, except like mentioned earlier the collapsed lungs theory.

I started shooting Simmons last year after a friend had a few less than stellar shots that looked like the animals were hit with an ax and expired in his sight. The Simmons are very easy to get razor sharp and fly like darts for me. It seems to me that they provide a very short and easy to follow trail after the shot.

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
It's all about the way you sharpen them. LCH shot a nice doe Saturday evening and it went slam through her and broke her leg. The blood trail was great I found the deer before he got to the ground on his climber. Talk to him about sharpening these things. He does the same technique as landshark 160.
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Moral of this story is. If you hit a deer with a tree shark it will die. Hell I shot a doe off the ground one time when I shot wheels and I pull way left. She was walking left and I thought I shot in front of her neck. I walked over and pulled my totally clean arrow out of a stump and saw a drop if blood on ground. Started following and after 10 feet it looked like you took a hose and walked thru the woods.  Ended up one blade sliced her throat. Yes u read that right. One blade sliced her throat. Found her within 40 yds. No waiting or anything. Crazy
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©