3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about Single Vs. Double BHeads  (Read 368 times)

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about Single Vs. Double BHeads
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Simple question to the guys that shoot the singles. I dont want to get in a large discussion, i was just wondering if

1. A single bevel head that is 1.5 inches wide will have a bigger ENTRY Hole on a game animal than the Exact Same head that is Double?

I have read all of Ashbys findings and somewhere in one of them i thought i read that the S-cut  a single bevel makes is bigger than the Broadheads stated width. I.E. will a 1.25 inch wide single bevel make a 1.5 inch entry hole.

Wanted to see a youtube test but could not find one. Any thoughts would be helpful.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about Single Vs. Double BHeads
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I would think that the entry holes would be the same, but the single bevel would have a better wound channel.

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Let's hang up deer hide this weekend and see..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Tip of cut to tip of cut straight line distance will be about the same.

However, a single bevel might cut an "S" to get to that distance...therefore more cutting would be done.

I don't think it makes a lick of difference though...at least not dead vs wounded....

I'd choose whichever type of bevel you can sharpen best...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
I think we give the various broadheads a lot more thought than we need to.  Any good head, if well sharpened and placed thru both lungs will kill the animal quickly.  The broadhead is important for what it does, but most of the current heads are fine for what most of us do.

Get one you like, get it sharp, and get it to pass thru a deers lungs.

ChuckC

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
This may be one of those things that u just want to know.  Everybody knows that a sharp well placed head that u like and can sharpen will kill a deer.  Yet u still wanna know.

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Yes, i want to know if i pull a shot into the guts and i am shooting a Treeshark, i know the carnage will be 2 inches wide, and if i shoot a 1 inch wide single bevel will it have a 1 inch wide cut or a little bigger. That is it. I did see some youtubes and there is evidence of a little wider cut than broadhead specs out at when it hits soft tissue. I guess that is all that really matters.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I have never noticed a difference and I bounce back and forth between single bevel, double bevel and three blades through out the year, 1" to 1 1/2" broadheads.  And if you gut shoot a deer, hole size won't matter as much as just giving them time to die. The amount of blood on the ground won't be much different.
lll

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
In  my experience; and I've shot game 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade, replaceable blade, expandable, single and double bevel; I do like the single bevel and think they do exactly what they're professed to do.  It does seem the "s" shaped entry hole and spiral wound channel does result in good blood trails - but like said above, so does any sharp, well placed broadhead. I'm not convinced there's a huge advantage to a single bevel, but will continue to shoot them and test them.

The "S" shaped cut is obvious on the hide, and also on the side of a new, fresh 3-d type target.  I shoot a rhinehart 18-1 target and the single bevel heads do leave an "S" cut on the target and do spiral through the target.
Dan Brockman

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your input
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
It depends on the hit.  I started fletching with a right wing JoJan because someone gave me 1000 right wing 5.5" feathers. I hunted with Hills and sharpened them like Hill. That worked, but I like to have the arrow run right on my index finger and grew tired of the nick in the finger from the right wing feathers. I had switched to Grizzlies as well. When I went to left wing feathers, I still used those original right wing Grizzlies and sharpened them like the package said and sometimes I added a serration on the flat side. I did not see much if any difference in penetration on whitetails. A couple of times I had holes big enough to put my hand in the deer. I switched to left wing beveled Hills and sharpened them like the original instructions for the Grizzlis. They seemed to put more blood down and I have had some huge holes with them as well, but on straight on side shots I canot say that I have ever had holes that were all that much bigger than the head width, but they do have a nice little 'S' shape and I like how the blood sometimes spirals around the shaft, which happens whether I am cross winging or matching the wing.  It all depends on the hit.

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
I took an elk with a single bevel head and the entrance hole was not bigger that the width of the head. It was a hole though not a slice. I thought it worked really well.
DK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©