3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Aluminum Shafts, Need Help  (Read 868 times)

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Aluminum Shafts, Need Help
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
I do pretty well with wood arrows but recently I had a fellow ask me to fletch some aluminum shafts he had.
I cleaned the shafts with acetone and used a new bottle of Fletchtite Platinum. I'm pretty leary of gluing to a smooth surface like aluminum and my fears were justified. He emailed me yesterday to let me know that some feathers fell off the shafts when the arrows hit the target.
I know feathers and aluminum shafts can be done but I'm not sure what I need to change in my procedures or materials to make this work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Aluminum Shafts, Need Help
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
I used to scrub the shafts with Ajax or Comet then fletch with the old white tube fletchtite..

Worked back then.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
I'd skip the,acetone.
Aluminu shafts can have,some oxidation and I'd rather use a scotch brite type pad to clean them.
The acetone could effect the glue if used right away.
The only time I had he same problem was,with a tube of the original fletch tite that was bad for some reason.
Never had a problem,with platinum.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
I've always done it just like you say,and never had a problem. I make sure I run more than just a little bead. It comes out on both sides a little.   :dunno:

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I had a set of arrows that fletch did not stick.  I put on an arrow wrap to glue on the fletch and have not had another problem.

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Scuff them with a scotch brite pad then wipe them down with de-natured alcohol. TonyZ.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
So, it looks like my cleaning procedure needs to change. I'll give it a go when he sends them back.
Thanks!

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Grey, 3M Super Strength household adhesive is the strongest glue I have ever used when fletching to aluminum. You use it and literally have to cut the fletch off. I lost an arrow up in the mountains in a heavy snow area and found it a year later. The fletch was rotten but I still had to cut it off of the shaft. It also set fairly fast and is really pliable.
In 10 years and thousands of arrows out of my pro shop I never had to replace any fletches. Its all I would use after the first time./

God bless, Steve

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Sixby, you had me at "strongest."
Any idea where I can get this magical glue?

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline Bigjackfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
An archery shop I deal with wont sell fletch tite any more ,they used it for years to build arrows and recently ran into problems with fletching coming off customers arrows .I just fletched some aluminum arrows with fletch tite ,cleaned arrow with alcohol and have had no problems .The tube I have is about a year old.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Buy a roll of fletch tape...problem solved!

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
If you use denatured alcohol, make sure that it is the 99% stuff, the 70% contains some oil fillers ,not conducive to a good fletching job!

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I've fletched aluminum shafts for years. I just use dish soap and warm water to clean the shafts. Seems to work pretty good. Ya gotta use good glue though. Not Fletchtight, (it gives way when real cold).  Now days I use fletching tape and have not had any come off as of yet.

WoodsyDave

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Sorry, gentlemen. Fletchtape is absolutely out of the question.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I bought it last time at Ace Hardware. Sometimes when I have not found it available I have gotten stores to order it for me.
I have seriously fletched thousands of arrows with it of all types and never had fletching problems even on carbon. I rub with denatured alcohol and then fletch. I have a six round fletch table and by the time I get six feathers fletched I am ready to pull the first and start another round. Always dot the ends. I did several hundred dozen a year when I had my shop and like I said , never lost a fletch using that glue.

3M Super Strength Household Adhesive.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
I'm guessing you didn't rinse the shafts with hot water and dry after the acetone. Like was said, cleanser works good too.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline James Principi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I used FletchTite for decades with no problems. I had nothing but problems with FletchTite  Platinum.  I recently started using Saunders NPV with great results.  Shaft prep was the same for all three glues.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
I just now fletched two Gold Tips in less than 10 minutes using fletch tape. It is the best thing since they started slicing bread! I have fletched lots of aluminum's also and it has always worked real well. Some glues may have better longevity, but the fletch tape usually outlasts the feathers on my arrows...again, including aluminum! I use fletch tite platinum to dab a little on the ends of the feathers after they are taped on.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline dbond85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
I have made alot of arrows over the years and have to say that when bohning did away with there white tube fletch tight and went to the platnum they lost me. My arrows started falling off bad no matter what I did. It was really bad when they got wet in the mist or rain. I have switched to saunders arrow mate cement and have had zero problims. It is great on aluminum shafts. I still use duco on my wood arrows. Try it I think you will be happy.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I liked the old Fletch Tite but the Premium works well for me. Then again, I crown dip using Bohning paint and Bohning to Bohning adheres the best.

The only suggestion is clean the shaft with Fletch Lac Thinner but I like Isopropyl 90% and that works well. If all else fails, thin out some Bohning Supercoat and dip the shaft 8" down. The glue will adhere to this well also.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©