3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear bug got me.....  (Read 2504 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear bug got me.....
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
This past winter I purchased a 1971 Fred Bear Super Kodiak from a fellow Trad Gang member. I have always admired the bear bows but never really thought they would shoot as good as some of my "custom" bows. Boy was I wrong. Its probably one of the best shooting bows I have ever owned. Its no wonder they started making them again. I like them so much I have a 64" Grayling Green Super Kodiak  on order from Three Rivers.  Has anyone else been bit by the Fred Bear Bug?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear bug got me.....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Yep. Back in 1981 with a Grayling Super Grizzly. I now own 2 Super Grizzlys - both Grayling manufacture, a Grayling Grizzly of zebra wood, a dual shelf Alaskan, a Grayling RH Kodiak Mag, a Grayling LH Kodiak Mag, and a Gainsville Super Mag 48. I doubt I'm done with Bears.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
I bought a '61 Kodiak Mag this past winter and found it to be a great shooting bow.  It shoots well for me.  I have rotated to a heavier bow for deer, but will take it it again next spring for turkeys.  I loved carrying it and shooting it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
If you're near the NC Zoo let me know and maybe we can meet and shoot sometime  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Hey Bud I live in Burlington. Ashboro is not far at all! I would love to get together and shoot. Right now I'm hunting just about every free minute I get. I came close the past Saturday, but just couldn't close the deal. A fox came in and spooked everything.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Its had me for years. A 58 Alaskan was my first hunting bow in 79. Then a 71 Kodiak Magnum kept it going. I really like the Bears and the new ones are great too!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Lol is this gonna be the Bear answer to the Hill Bug thread haha
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
I wasn't bit by the bug as I'm an American longbow guy. BUT I loved my kodiak, my Montana, and I really realy really want to own a new 59 kodiak
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Man I want to shoot a new 59. Has anyone shot the old vs the new? I bet the new strings make a big difference in speed and quietness.

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I have a new to me 69 Super K heading my way soon,I can't wait to get it.They are one of the best looking bows bear made. My wife shoots a Kodiak Hunter,my son has a 64 Kodiak and my daughter shoots a 65 Grizzly.I would say we really love our Bear bows.
David Janssen

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Got a used Alaskan in 1977 and a few years later a used Grizzly. Still have both bows and still hunt with the Grizzly. Have taken deer with both.
Member NCBA

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
There are a lot of guys here that shoot and love the old Bear,like myself.
If you go to the collector forum,you'll know more.
The old Super Kodiaks are some of the best bows ever made,very quiet and forgiving.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
I own 13 trad bows and all but 2 are Bears. In the not so distant past when I discovered Traditional archery, I did a lot of research and reading and decided that I was going to try a Bear bow out. Well I bid on a bow on the big auction site and won it. The bow that I won is a bear Super Grizz, I got to tell you I was hooked on it, It was just alittle heavy for me at first but I learned how to shoot and conditioned my body to handle the weight(55#)I still own said bow and shoot it regularly. You cant duplicate the feel of a Bear bow IMO.

OHH"
 did I mention I am a Bear Bow Fan?
One more thing don't ever ever ever try a Greenstripe T/D, if you do there will be no hope for you.LOL

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Gotta love Bear bows, I've owned several Grizzlies and my hunting bow this year is a 70's Super Grizzly. 50#@28" with some old cedars I restored to their former glory tipped with Razorheads. I'm currently working up some new cedars to match the SG's colors.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
Seeing some fred bear pics made me want to make the switch in the first place to trad. Sot a buck last year with a 65' kodiak. Switched to pronghorn longbows, but now am wanting to go back to bears... So my pronghorn is in the classifieds and I just purchased a kmag. I haven't ever had a kmag but thought it would be a fun little bow! I also plan on picking up a kodiak hunter in the same age for a little poor mans collection of bear bows.

Wooddamon1... That pic is awesome!!! I want to make up some vintage looking bear arrows like that. Are those original or did you make them??
Levi Bedortha

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I bought a 69' Bear Grizzly a few years back out of a guys garage, it reminded me why I like archery and pointed me back toward traditional archery.  I'll never sell it even though it's too light to hunt with!
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Even though I pretty much now only shoot my Howard Hill bows, occasionally I will pull out this '65 Tigercat that I've held on too. Was thinking of selling it and each time I pull it down, I change my mind. This bow doesn't have a stress line anywhere on it!

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Taking my 72 Kmag out Sat. Morning,  quietest bow I own.  Little flustered right now my quiver broke in practice tonite, been shooting it all summer, two nights before opener and this!

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I think pretty much everybody knows what a Montana looks like, though I love mine, but how many have seen a pristine 1968 zebrawood Grizzly?

"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
You know what's ironic about that bow? It's my birth year and I'm left handed but, shoot right handed!

Sure is a beauty though!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©