3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear bug got me.....  (Read 2511 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear bug got me.....
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I figured I would post up a few pictures of my new bows. I actually killed a doe with the 59 on Saturday. I posted that story in another thread.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
One more panned out. Man I really love the way these bows shoot. I ordered a Silent But Deadly String for each one. I really hope it will quiet down the Super K. some. I shoots to good just to be a 3D bow. (It needs some blood on it)!

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Here is the deer pic. In case you guys missed it in the other thread. That doe never knew what hit her. When I dropped the string the arrow looked like it was in slow motion - spinning perfectly!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Definitely a Bear fan here.

I've got 4 right now.

A '73 Grizzly that is 45#@28".  Unlike a lot of folks.  The Grizzly doesn't do a lot for me.

I also have a 2010 Super K.  It's 50#@28.  It's super smooth, and I really love the narrow handle.  It is my bowfishing bow, but I wouldn't think twice about doing any of my hunting with it.

Lastly, I have a '73 55#@28" and a '76 K-Mag that is 45#@28.  To me, the K-Mag is the Bear bow that really trips my trigger.  They just hit where I point them.  Normally, I don't like a high wrist grip, but the K-Mags just fit me.  I use the '76 for bringing myself back in line with form when I falter a bit.  The '73 is special to me.  Made my first trad kill with it, and will always keep that bow.
Not the "normal" first kill, but, I did it all on my own.  No one bowfishes around here, so I was my guide....LOL..

Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Also, I seem to remember a thread about a bowhunt/get together for Bear aficionados....anyone know the status on that?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
the Fred Bear bug bit me when I was in high school when my grandpa gave me his first hunting bow, a Bear Kodiak made in 66. Christmas of my Sr year of high school I took my first traditional deer with it, while using the original quiver he had with the bow and using Bear Razorheads.

I have since acquired a 1973Bear Kodiak Magnum at a garage sale for $5 and have taken small game, pest and a rail with it. Turkeys and ducks have given me the slip though.

when I got my first tattoo I went with an arrow tipped with a Razorhead.

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
'58 Kodiak Special 70" 60#
'59 Kodiak 64" 49#
'60 Kodiak Special 66" 45#
'61 Kodiak 50#
'62 Kodiak Special 66" 40#
'64 Kodiak Special 69" 60#
'70 Type I Takedown 68" 45#

I think I actually have more fun restoring them than shooting them.  Something about getting an UGLY bow and bringing it back.  Today's custom bows are beautiful, but there is just something about the old Bears...  I have two bow racks, and the one with the Bears on it is center stage in the living room.  I don't shoot them as much as I do my Hills, but I sure get a lot more compliments on them when I do bring them out.

As far as collecting goes, I think there comes a point when you have to decide which direction to go.  I don't have enough money or space to say, "I collect Bear stuff".  I think I'm starting to lean towards, "I collect '59-62 Bear bows."  The pre-59's with maple risers don't do much for me, and in '63, they started going to a higher wrist grip and larger risers.  I just don't enjoy shooting them as much, actually bugs my wrist.  The '63 doglegs certainly are unique though...

So anything outside of the '59-62 range is finding a new home, and I'm on the hunt to fill the holes...  Top of the list is a '59-60 Alaskan, '61 Kodiak Special and '62 Grizzly.

To be honest, I'm not sure if there's a Bear bug, and I don't think it bites.  There's just a feeling you get holding a 50 year old bow and hearing it whisper to you.  Then you shoot it, and that's all it takes.

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
TTT I'd like to see this one keep going! Can't get enough of shooting my Kmag   :archer2:  Originally this was going to be backup bow, but now I think I'm going to hunt with just this bow.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Just picked up a Bear products bow yesterday. Topic in history and collecting. Very excited!

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shane Reed:
The Bear Bug got me again! Bought one of Fred's personal bows that he made. It's actually the 13th bow he made and in the book "Fred Bear, The Biography of an Outdoorsman".  Fred signed this bow and gave to Bob Blevins in 1985; after Bob made him an Honorary Sheriff.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
I made the same discovery, bought a 1964 Bear Grizzly,,,,,best shooting bow I have ever owned by a long way !!!

Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
I made the same discovery, bought a 1964 Bear Grizzly,,,,,best shooting bow I have ever owned by a long way !!!
That's a beautiful riser. A zebra wood Bear is definitely on my wish list.   :thumbsup:
Live and let live.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
That is fantastic wood right there.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
The bug bit me at age 15 in 1966 watching Fred Bear on the  American Sportsman .  In 67 I bought a 45# Grizzly and killed my first deer.  SETI Jed to Howard Hill bows in the 80's but stilly have several Bear bows including that first Grizzly that I'll pass onto my grandchildren.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Lots of great Bears guys. I just got this one.

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
I was lucky and just got a 67 1/2 Kodiak,the one they call the black beauty.
David Janssen

Offline BelegStrongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Just got into archery as a whole this past month. First bow I bought was a 67&1/2 Super Kodiak at 65#s. It is truly an awesome bow and I've been shooting her just about every day. As it has been said before, there's just something about shooting a 46+ year old bow.
RLTW
196? Colt Trail Blazer 39#@28"
Black Widow PCHX Osage 58" 52@28.

Offline BelegStrongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Just got into archery as a whole this past month. First bow I bought was a 67&1/2 Super Kodiak at 65#s. It is truly an awesome bow and I've been shooting her just about every day. As it has been said before, there's just something about shooting a 46+ year old bow.
RLTW
196? Colt Trail Blazer 39#@28"
Black Widow PCHX Osage 58" 52@28.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Hey Alex , glad to see you here on trad gang . It was great shooting with ya last month on hope to see you at the shoot on the 25th. Alex's bow is stunning!!!

Ps
Let me know if you want me to bring a lighter bow in for ya to shoot too
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©