3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Names on Bows?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Names on Bows?
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Hi All,

I know that I'm not the only person that has a bow with somebody else's name on it. I wanted to ask what can be done about removing or covering up a name other than yours on a bow. I know there is always the option to send the bow back to the bowyer, but shipping alone is more than I want to pay.

I have attempted a cover up, and it don't look so great. How do you cover up a name on your bow? Pictures would be nice, thanks....

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Names on Bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
When I initially started buying used bows I got a few with names cause I didn't bother to ask.  I could never hold on to them.  I now ask.  I won't buy it if it has a name.  Just a pet peeve of mine.  Anyone crafty can try and sand it carefully if its not deep and refinish it, but I'm too lazy for that.  Bows where its painted on are easier cause you can sometimes use solvent to take it off carefully.

Funnily, I just took delivery of some new limbs for my Stewart...I had my name put on them.  I did this because the Stewart will never be sold.  It is my 'from my cold dead hands' bow.  I personally feel unless its a bow you know you're going to keep forever, don't get your name on it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
I will add that I did just buy a used Hill bow with a name on it...but it was an exception.  In fact the reason I bought the bow was because of the name- Lamont Granger.  A well loved member of the trad community at large.  To me that makes the bow a bit special.  But again for me such an instance is the exception.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
It doesn't really bother me much if someone else's name is on a bow. In some instances the price would be lower just to get someone to buy the bow. I am a little upset that my name is on one of my bows, thus making it harder to sell, but I think I will keep that bow anyway. I've made my first 3 kills with it and holds a special place in my heart.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Just bought my first true custom (picking it up in the A.M.   :)   ) & made sure NOT to have my name put on it. At this time I have no plans to get rid of it, but you never know. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if everything else was perfect, but if I was on the fence about a bow it certainly could be. As far as a cover up...might try something like this:   http://www.onestringer.com/index.php?page=mods/Products/itemdetail&itemid=733
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
I only have one bow left with somebody else's name on it.  It really doesn't bother me, I consider it part of the provenance of the bow.  It's a hand made item and I like knowing a bit of the history.

I get my name put on any bow made for me...but then nobodies getting them until I'm too old to use them.  Hopefully they will appreciate the bows the way I did and leave my name on them...then a little memory of me gets to go hunting with them after I'm gone.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Ben, you can easily refinish it yourself for very low cost. I have refinished several bows. The only time it would be a problem would be if the name was under the glass.

Give me a call if you want to talk more about it.

Bisch

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
People are different....that is what makes the world go round. I give it zero thought if there is a name on a bow I buy. But then, if that bow talks to me and really works for me I think about it a lot more. I marvel at how one person can pass a bow along and then I shoot it and wonder where have you been all this time. I like it if a bow has a bit of a story, a bit of character. Just happened to me on a  Brackenbury Non- Typical, thanks again Jeff.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Most that I have had my name on are under the glass so tough to re-finish. I have seen a lot of people just put a small sticker over them!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Gives you someone to talk to while you are waiting, and waiting, and waiting...
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
If it is on the handle you can do this. Buy a rubber grip- I got mine from 3 Rivers - and it covers the name. I won this bow on the St. Jude auction and it came with a name. I cut the grip a little too much so it didn't cover the whole handle but that was my fault.

Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
As long as it's not something like Lyman Percival Thorndyke III or Shiela Puffgirdle I wouldn't care.  Paint flat camo or tape over it if it bothers you.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
I'm not bothered if there is another person's name on the bow.  The thing that I have become much more interested in is if the bow is named.  I have a bow named "Cochon" (pig in French), Last Mohican, Rambling Rover, Strider, and Sting.  Each bow kind of has it's own personality.  Lot's of fun!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
I don't pay much attention to names on bows anymore, but i used to remove them. In most cases, it's very easy.  Most bowyers put one or more coats of finish on the bow before writing the name on it. They spray over that with another coat or two.  

I just tape off the area I don't want to touch, and lightly sand off the name with 220 grit sandpaper, then spray or hand rub a few coats of finish, feathering it in to the original. Takes about 15 minutes, and in most cases, can't tell it was done.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I give it zero thought
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Now 'naming' bows is something I'm starting to get a hankering for.  The Bama Tribute 70" 100@30
I just commissioned is going to be wenge and black glass and will be named 'Werewolf'.  Can't wait to get into the hog woods with her in 4 months.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
I cot out a small piece of exotic wood, put my name for that bow on the wood [Rogue, Widow Claw, ect.] and out it over the lower limb with sticky Velcro. Removable, wood looks good, and gives the bow my touch by naming it. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Spearchukka72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I agree with Chuck on this one. I have 2 Silvertips that Paul made for his South African friend ( and guide ) after their lion hunt episode. Each one has a nice message on the riser. I actually sprayed extra varnish on the risers to preserve that piece of history.
Extremely cool bows with camo limbs and all....

Offline arrow bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
DITTO, same as orion

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Whether to buy a used bow or not isn't impacted by the presence or absence of another bowhunter's name for me.  

Now, if the seller indicated there was no name on the bow but he'd be willing to put his name on it before shipping, I'd ask him not to. So I prefer there is no name.

I think I've only had my own name on one new bow and I don't remember asking for it.  I wouldn't have my name put on another.

IF/When I truly identify a life-keeper and I intended to pass it down to one of my grandchildren, I might consider having my name put on that bow.  If my Dad had been a bowhunter I would love to own a bow that he had used and bore his name.

BIAS ALERT:  Surely there are some names (and nicknames) that I won't accept on my bow, my binoculars, bow blind, my arrows, or anything else I own.  In fact, I won't even consider buying something with "Bone Collector" or "Crush" on it. Thank goodness the "traditional" bow market is of no interest to these marketers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©