3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Utah Elk Hunt Pics  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Utah Elk Hunt Pics
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Some of you will remember my good fortune last December when I drew a last minute tag for Utah Henry Mountains bison.  Extremely tough tag to draw, and a tough hunt.  Well, it happened again!
In late July I received a phone call from the Utah DOW.  Someone had turned in their Fish Lake elk tag, and my name was next up on the alternate list.  They gave me two days to make up my mind on whether to accept the tag or not.  I took all of two minutes to make my decision.  I was headed back to Utah!

My good friend Paul Van Vaerenewyck (PV here) offered to come along with me and be my personal sherpa, guide, and caller.  He flew to WI to accompany me on the drive and we headed west on August 31st.  

Our first few days in the mountains were spent primarily driving around the roads and trails in the truck or by atv in an attempt to learn the area and also spending quality time glassing mountainsides to locate elk.  I had 11 solid days to hunt, and the plan was to use the first 3 or 4 to get acclimated both to the area and the elevation.

Unfortunately, the elevation took its toll on Paul.  He has a mild case of sleep apnea, and although it doesn't cause him any real trouble at home, and he doesn't use a machine to sleep at night, the high elevation was a different story for him.  Our base camp was a little over 10,000 feet, and breathing at night got to be more than just an inconvience for Paul.  It became downright scary and dangerous for him to stay.  He had to get down off the mountain, and on Thursday morning I drove him to SLC to fly home.

For the rest of the hunt I would be on my own.  I'll let the pictures tell the story for you.

Base camp was on the far ridge.  It is steeper and higher than it looks.  From the spot this was taken to the valley floor was about 1,000 feet in elevation.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Utah Elk Hunt Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Life can be tough in the mountains.  It's not only hunters and predators that animals need to worry about.

One of our better glassing locations.  I think Paul is off bear hunting, so probably won't be along to add to this story.  But I do have to share one for him.  One afternoon while I was off looking at another spot Paul went down to do a little "glassing" here.  He had no more than sat down and a cowboy and his dog came riding right past him.  

I can only imagine that cowboy sitting around the dinner table that night telling about riding out in the middle of nowhere and coming across a guy sitting on a toilet!    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Looking good!  I think we're getting close!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
The morning wore on with the sign looking better and better, but I had yet to see or hear an elk.  Finally a little after 9am I heard a bugle.  And another.  He continued to sound off as I moved in.

We were on a collision course.  The entire herd was headed toward me, so I simply picked a good spot to stand.  At 12 yards, just on the other side of the closest downed log in this picture, he stopped facing toward me and let out an earth shattering bugle.

He continued on past me at 8 yards, passing behind the trees on the right.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
This is getting good ------

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
And?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Be a mature 6x6, Be a mature 6x6, Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6,  Be a mature 6x6!!!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Sitting on the edge on my chair.     :campfire:
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Even at 8 yards I couldn't quite hold it together to make a perfect shot.  But I did make a shot!  Further back than I would have liked, but I was hopeful that it would be enough.

I suspected a liver hit, and resolved to give two hours.  The first hour was one of the longest of my life, and I couldn't stand it anymore!  I eased up to the spot I had last seen him and found this.

That gave me a little more confidence, and I continued forward.  There was a large boulder field that I couldn't imagine an elk could cross, but this was at the beginning of it.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
:campfire:
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:   This is good!!!!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Man I love this time of year......  :archer2:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
:pray:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Across the boulder field, and straight up into the nastiest thickest stuff imaginable.  I could barely snake through carrying my bow and quiver.  But within 25 yards or so I could smell elk.  Strong!
Just on the other side of a deadfall I saw elk hide.  And there he lay.

Thank you Lord!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Whip, I want to go hunting with you.  You are either really good or really lucky, and I could use either!

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Way to go Joe!
A great Bull!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Right there with ya! And.....and.........
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
What a fantastic hunt !

Congratulations on a fine, fine bull..

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
What a blast.  Looks like you had fun.  Thanks for the trip.  Can't wait to see more.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Congrats! Man that is one gorgeous bull!
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©