3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stands with recurves?  (Read 429 times)

Offline deertag

• Trad Bowhunter
tree stands with recurves?
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
wondering those who hunt from trees with their recurves/longbows,  how high do you hunt?  what type of stand(ladder/climber/lockon)? does your point of aim change alot?

set my lock on today, platform at 15.5 feet, looks high for a bow.
thanks, david

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stands with recurves?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Here in Oklahoma I hunt mostly from a lock on tree stand . I have a ladder type I hunt some from. These whitetails around here are so wary that its difficult to hunt from the ground. However, the angle makes it tricky to shoot accurate from a stand. I like to stay as low as I can. Your 15.5 feet is about as high as I want to go because of the angle. I prefer about 10feet but you have to have good cover. Late in the season is when I prefer to hunt but the cover is gone from the trees by then. You might consider getting a leafy jacket and maybe pants. It will allow you to stay a little lower.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
I have only ever used recurves from treestands and my feet are at 13 to 15 feet off the ground.   I use a chain-on and a ladder stand.

It helps me to think of where the arrow should exit and concentrate on that point.  I also carry two blunts and shoot one at something after sunrise to make sure my eye stays elevated.  If I haven't used #2 during my stay I shoot it before climbing down.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
When I hunt from tree stands, the two I use are the Lone Wolf Sit n Climb and the Lone Wolf Hand Climber.  I hate great heights, so I set up at 10-15 feet.

I try to remind myself to bend at the waist and aim low.
Lon Scott

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Love the climbing sticks and a small lock on. Mine were getting old and I just bought two of these Muddy outfitter lite hang ons.

Fantastic stands for the money, easy to hang, great seat, very solid and very quiet. Has a seat leveling screw underneath that is a great feature on a inexpensive stand. They carry them at Dicks Sporting goods and Cabelas.

I like to be as low as I can. If I am too high I don't like the angle I have on a deer that is fairly close to my tree. Being high makes it tough to hit both lungs.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20788006
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I use lock ons mostly. I put a 12' long pull up rope on all of my stands. When I tie my bow on it is usually about  chest high. So I'd say 12' to 16'.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
I always try to get about fifteen feet off the ground. It seems to be a good balance and shots can be taken as close as five yards and still get both lungs.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Digger_JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Usually use ladder style, using a climber this year. Approx 16'. You should always practice from a stand if you're gonna use one. Saves a lot of frustration.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Summit viper with a hazmore seat. I normally get anywhere from 15' to 20' depending on cover.
 The hazmore seat let me put the top section lower since the seat has me higher also gives me greater clearance for my bow.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Usually 14-16'. Was 20' this morning seeing how, out of my bag, I pulled what I thought was my leafy suit top, but turned out to be the pants. Would have been ok if I had not been wearing a short sleeve tee shirt. I could accordion the legs for my arms to stick thru, but had place way to poke my head out.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Cavalry Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
I hunted for the first time yesterday out of my new Summit goliath.  Bout 15ft.  I had to set the seat and foot pieces rather close together so I could get clearance.  Shot a couple of arrows to make sure.  Odd feeling but, I will practice more.
"Lifes tough, Its tougher if your Stupid!"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
I use a variety of tree stands. MY favorite is Lone Wolf lock-on.

My stands hang from 12-18' depending upon the tree and cover. Most are around 15'.  I prefer cedar trees which provide terrific all year cover.  I try to minimize limb cutting by using rope to tie branches out of the way which preserves the live cover provided by the tree.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
My stands are 15' to the nose bleed section. I use mostly lock-on stands, but I do use a climbing stand from time to time. I do love a good ground blind as well.

Make sure to practice from an elevated stand before you go hunting, please don't let your first elevated shot be at a critter. As mentioned above bend at the waist and keep your bow alignment consistent.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
10-12 feet is all ya need

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
I use climbing stands about 98% of the time.  I've used a Loggy Bayou since about '88, and bought a Summit Broadhead Back Packer around '04 or '05.  My Summit is one of the most comfortable stands I've ever used, but it has side rails that sometimes get in the way. My Loggy isn't quite as comfy, but Im vey familiar with it, its light weight and theres no hand rails to worry about.

I've also owned a Lone Wolf climber.  I know that its a popular climber among us Stickbow shooters, but I just don't like it.

I tend to put my feet between 12 and 18 ft, depending on the terrain and tree cover.  My point of aim seems to change of Im a little higher than normal, and I may have a close shot....with in 10 yrds.  I try to bend at the waist and aim a little low. If I happen to go a little higher, I try not to take shots with in 8 or so yrds.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
I use ladders and lock on stands. The lock ons end up about 11'.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
I use Lock On's on private and I have 2 Summit Vipers I use on public. I have a Hazmore seat and Third Hand straps on both Vipers. The straps allow me to lock down the top section of the Viper so I can lean into the bar to shoot without it moving. A very effective and safe system.

I go about 20 feet up. Sometimes higher or lower if the canopy dictates.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I go higher, at least 20 ft because of the swirling wind in the mountains. Sometimes lower on the ridge tops. I have millinium , screaming eagle,gorrilla , set stands and a lone wolf climber.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
I like to have my feet 15 ft off he ground for deer in my area - little lower on coastal islands - and about 10 or 12 feet for hogs and bears. Lone Wolf for pole trees Palm, Pine, deciduous in mature stands. Chippewa for cutting into Oaks, Cedars, Maples edge trees. I do anchor differently shooting from a stand at game 15 yards and closer. Point of aim same opposite armpit.
<><
<----------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I use mostly hang on stands. I always seem to end up with the stand being 15-18' off the ground.  Never had any trouble with the shot angle even as close as 5 yards. With my summit climber I generally climb til my rope from the seat tightens up on my bow lying on the ground. That puts me at 18' every time. Don't use my climber much as I hunt private ground and prefer the versatility of my Loc ons
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©