3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mounting Grizzly broadheads  (Read 233 times)

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
mounting Grizzly broadheads
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I just got some Grizzly broadheads and I'm having trouble getting them mounted straight. I am putting them on brass broad head adapters and then onto Gold Tip shafts and I'm not able to get them perfectly straight. Anybody have any tips to help me out?
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mounting Grizzly broadheads
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I twist mine as i place them with hot melt glue on the adapter while the it is screwed in to the arrow. Some times the tano tip gives them a off spin also

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
I twist mine as well when installing them. I'm using the brass adapters from 3Rivers that you just install in the shaft so there aren't any threads. Not sure if the problem is the fit with adapters in the shaft or in the broadhead.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Anyone else have any ideas??
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I am using 140 grn Grizzlys and the short 3 rivers aluminum 30 grn adapters so they will screw into the brass inserts in my AD trad lites.
Out of the first six that I tried, 3 spun like a dream...3 wobbled like crazy.
Since I am new to this, I just screwed the adapter into the arrow, then carefully re-heated the adapter...putting a little heat on the broadhead too.
It took me about six tries each to get those three on acceptable straight. They still spun a bit off kilter when spun vertically on the table.
They were close but not as perfect as the first three.
So I just decided to see how they flew, and surprise...they flew just fine.
I then decided to put them on my horizontal arrow spinner...DUH...should have done that first.
They spun great there, so I suspect as someone noted above, that the tanto head on my wooden table may have been part of the problem.
I twisted and pushed as I installed and figured out also after a few tries that I was not getting them in far enough.
I had to get them fairly hot...hotter than Big Jim says you should. His video shows him holding on to them with bare fingers.Nope...not me, I had to use leather gloves and a pliers with electrical tape on the jaws.
Keep trying...you'll get it.
Hope this helps.
Now if I can just figure out how to get them sharp. Can you help me out there?
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
I am using 140 grn Grizzlys and the short 3 rivers aluminum 30 grn adapters so they will screw into the brass inserts in my AD trad lites.
Out of the first six that I tried, 3 spun like a dream...3 wobbled like crazy.
Since I am new to this, I just screwed the adapter into the arrow, then carefully re-heated the adapter...putting a little heat on the broadhead too.
It took me about six tries each to get those three on acceptable straight. They still spun a bit off kilter when spun vertically on the table.
They were close but not as perfect as the first three.
So I just decided to see how they flew, and surprise...they flew just fine.
I then decided to put them on my horizontal arrow spinner...DUH...should have done that first.
They spun great there, so I suspect as someone noted above, that the tanto head on my wooden table may have been part of the problem.
I twisted and pushed as I installed and figured out also after a few tries that I was not getting them in far enough.
I had to get them fairly hot...hotter than Big Jim says you should. His video shows him holding on to them with bare fingers.Nope...not me, I had to use leather gloves and a pliers with electrical tape on the jaws.
Keep trying...you'll get it.
Hope this helps.
Now if I can just figure out how to get them sharp. Can you help me out there?
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
tex,this is how I align mine.I don't spin the arrow but orient it vertically and adjust till it meets the reference point,turn it 90 degrees and do the same.

The dot tells you exactly which direction it is off and by exactly how much.There should be some give in your glue before it sets up.I press the tip on the wood base to move it in the right direction and check it against the reference dot.This goes very quickly and once aligned properly,those Grizzlies fly really well.

http://www.singlebevelbroadheads.com/Mounting_Aligning_the_Tuffhead.html

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Getting them sharp wasn't an issue for me. These maybe the easiest broadheads for me to sharpen. I k ow some guys are using the kme for them. What I did was use a diamond sharpener and just followed the  bevel then used a ceramic stick, all free hand.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
I have shot Griz's for years and just sight them from both sides. Make sure the feral is straight down the arrow center and forget about spinning them. I think a griz will fly good if mounted sideways.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©