3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I be scolded?  (Read 826 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
Should I be scolded?
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Yesterday's WI opener was a beautiful crisp, clear afternoon near Madison, and my Grandson and I were in our carefully chosen trees. He in a pine at 15' overlooking a small waterhole, and I, 20 ' up in the Triple Cherry at the edge of a small soybean food plot. We were about 600 yards apart.
I wanted Luke to have another opportunity at his first archery deer. His 15 year old enthusiasm was at an all time high, but victory had eluded him on three attempts last year due to classic "Buck Fever". He did manage to harvest a turkey...that was a thrill.
As it turns out, today we were both just observers.
I do not have a traditional whitetail bow kill to my credit as of yet. I've shot quite a few hogs,  (wounded some too) and have been carefully working my way up the skills and confidence ladder to the point where I now feel I can take an ethical shot and not worry about wounding a nice tasty deer.
So...soon a hen turkey upped my awareness, and I let her pass. Then as often happens...I look behind me (the tree is between me and the food plot), peer around the tree and silently, there are two of Wisconsin's most gorgeous females, filling up on the soybeans.
Interestingly enough, they were no longer devouring the forage of the green leaf as Summer scouting trips had proven, but now were going for the dried stalk and actual bean even though the shaded half of the plot still offered the tender greens.
Doe fawns they were, with ribs showing...and I think, "Yes, I could easily make this 15 yard shot." But, having shot many whitetails for meat with my previous (unmentionable) archery weapon, and still in freezer possession of almost two complete deer from last year, I'm thinking these two deserve to just keep on feeding and enjoying their afternoon as much as I am.
So I take out the cell phone and shoot them...several times, till I'm sure they are well shot.
After 30 minutes of chowing down, they amble off and I am satisfied my scent control program is working as I watch them traverse my inbound trail.
They head for Luke and shortly he texts that he saw them through the trees, but could not get a shot.
It's now 6:40 PM, and anotheer field check reveals Momma Doe, a much larger, well fed girl, greyish, proud, relaxed, but also hungry.
When she poses for me, well within my effective range, I'm still not in kill mode, although here is my most perfect chance at my first trad whitetail harvest.
SO...HERE'S MY QUESTIONS.
Do I deserve to go deerless this year?
Did I just commit the most unspeakable sin?
Should I have been a "MAN" and shot her just to say I did, and earn the bragging rights with "passage"?
Am I getting soft to just wanting simply to reflect on all our hard work in property management that earned Luke and I these memories?
For those of you who will chastise me, I apologize sincerely.
I'm sure however, that at least a few of you might have "been there...done that", and to those of you I thank you for not judging me.
I know I perhaps wasted my best harvest opportunity.
I know that we may now have laid down some human scent, noise, or intrusion making our next adventure a little tougher, but I'm very grateful and pleased that the Good Lord has granted us this peaceful and rewarding day to be in the woods with his creatures.
Our ending score totals one hen turkey, 6 does and one decent buck. He was seen from a long way off.

Thanks for listening...probably not as exciting as relating a regular hunting harvest, but I wanted to share with you, none-the-less.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I be scolded?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Been there and done that. I still get a thrill out of just watching. If I had venison in the freezer this early in the season, I'd of probably let her walk too.

Hope you get a big-racked buck wander past and nail him proper.

Fun just being out there trying, isn't it?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Sounds like a good hunt to me... The older I get the less I feel the absolute need to kill. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
You shouldnt be forced to shoot anything, not even by yourself. A good hunt is a good hunt even if unsuccessful in killing.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Sounds like a good hunt to me too!

Bisch

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
One of my most memorable hunts was one where i didn't even loose an arrow.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Wisconsin bow season just started yesterday and runs until Jan. 5. Is that correct?

As I sit here at home watching the Detroit Tigers on TV, as they roll to the playoff's   ;)    :D , I think a better analogy is that you merely took the first pitch in the first inning, to get a feel for it all. There's a whole lotta game left in your season.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
If your family is starving...I'd say you made a mistake.

Since I doubt they are....then my opinion is that you carry out your hunts in any fashion you like    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I was just on a local forum where a somewhat similar situation came up, and the guy passed up a shot, and is now having second thoughts. I say, when your gut tells you to pass up the shot, pass it up, and don't question it. When everything is right, you know it, and it just happens.
 Best of luck next time.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
You did absolutely everything right.  As I enter my 46th year of this beautiful sport I have realized for some time that I don't need to "harvest" a deer just to add to my numbers.  Sometimes we need to just sit back and enjoy everything Mother nature has given us.

Since you mentioned that you already have some prime venison from last year you need not feel guilty of anything.  When another deer comes by and it feels right, then you'll know that you haven't "wasted your best opportunity for harvesting a deer".

Good luck this fall!

Bernie Bjorklund
NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
You are the referee, judge, and jury of your hunt. Your objectives should be your own.   Obviously you agree thus the capitalization of your gender reference.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
I've done it several times. Every once in a while I just don't feel like shooting one. Sounds like a great morning!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
I can relate, sometimes I'm just more content watching them rather than loosing an arrow.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Like I said in other post, I have to be in the mood to shoot one. Like me, your into improving your land. That said, I would not let to many walk or you will get into my situation, to many does and they get wiser with each encounter.  Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
You shouldn't have to ask that question.  It's totally up to you.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
No scolding coming from this person.

If it was the right thing for you then it's ok.

I didn't have a dog in your hunt.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Hey Buddy, nothing wrong with letting them pass. If you didn't feel it, you didnt feel it!! I've seen you shoot, so theres no doubt in my mind they would have been dead deer had you chose to do so. If you left the stand that evening feeling good, then thats all there is to it!! Good luck!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
It's your call...shoot or don't shoot, it's totally up to you.
But, I'da shot mama.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Nope sounds like a good hunt, I myself would of shot one of the fawns. I love fresh loins and I prefer to shoot fawns over big does anytime. I figure if I kill a big doe I just killed 3 deer, her and the twin fawns she would have next spring. You did nothing wrong and just to kill for the sake of it is always a mistake. You will be rewarded with another chance. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
"I do not have a traditional whitetail bow kill to my credit as of yet."

if a typical 210" 12 point shows up this fall - can you kill him?

seriously

do you put a true freshman QB in a ballgame with 2 second left, 4th and 40 behind by 6? sure in practice he can do - he did it in high school ....... but can he do it in a college D1 game with all the pressure ?

you got to kill animals to get use to killing animals - I fully believe that

now - you don't HAVE to shoot that doe, or the next one ..........  but (A) deer meat is great to eat and (B) you ingrain in your bran and psych that you CAN do it

see what I mean ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©