3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I be scolded?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I be scolded?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Irv,

Sounds like a great hunt.  That is a difficult question to answer, and it is a personal choice.  I've been there a few times.  Passed some shots as well.  You just have to do what "your comfortable" with.

You guys have a long season..... Good Luck....

:thumbsup:

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Myself, my freezer has one pack of stew meat and one pack of burger left.  Any doe is going down!  However, in your case sounds like you did what you needed to do.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
If you put yourself within 15 yards of a whitetail deer with a reasonable shot opportunity, you won the game. Choosing to pass on the shot is just fine! It is not always necessary to make the kill to have a successful hunt. Sounds like you got your head on pretty straight to me.
Sam

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
You did just fine imo.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
In my opinion, if you question a shot, don't take it, and don't question your first instinct when it comes to a shoot-don't-shoot situation.

You questioned the shot, even if it wasn't the ability. You didn't take it. You just scored big in my books! Besides, the workload is lighter when you shoot with a camera.   :clapper:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. and I do take perfect stock in the fact that I need to shoot a few does in order to conquer the big one if and when he shows up.
I'm thinking it will happen just fine.
You guys have just reinforced what I have known for a long time...there is way more compassion in we hunters than the non-hunters realize.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I think you should be commended.  I consistently pass up shots at what I call "lesser deer" meaning most does, fawns and small bucks.  I often go without taking anything because I don't need the meat, don't want to drag/clean a deer and enjoy watching them more than I do killing them.   Good for you and hope you enjoy many more fun hunts.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
a great day in the woods..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
I totally agree with others here...it's your call, no one else's. Besides, the less they're bothered, the better chance your grandson has. Once he draws "first blood", he's likely hooked for life, therefore perpetuating the trad hunting tradition. That's a good thing in my book.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Irv, Having shot with you, any of those deer would be dead had you shot! You chose to enjoy the experience, which is admirable. Every hunter makes his or her own decisions on their harvest opportunities and no one should judge those who decide not to harvest that deer. It's a very personal decision. Congrats on a great encounter and good luck, my friend!

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
I think you would have had a far more memorable hunt had the doe ambled into range of your grandson and he was able to take her. For that reason alone I think you made the right choice!

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
hey Irv

sounds like you had a great time to me!!
Carry On and Good luck out there.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I think it's good you listened to your gut, heart, brain...or whatever body part caused you to hold up.    There's no rule that says you have to take every shot presented to you.  

You have meat in the freezer, I'll bet you wouldn't have hesitated if it had been a while since you had chops on the grill.  I'll also be you would have been all over the shot if it was a buck.

I like what Caughtandhobble posted earlier:

Originally posted by Caughtandhobble:
Sounds like a good hunt to me... The older I get the less I feel the absolute need to kill. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
More to hunting than killing. If it isn't right no need to pull the trigger. I do it a lot.

But, with doe proportions hugely out of balance with bucks, I prefer to bust a doe before small buck. In my case. I'll let a small 8-point walk in favor of the doe. Think long think wrong. Whatever suits you. Don't sweat it a bit partner.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
If you were happy with your days hunt, then you did the right thing. I do not hunt for other people, or what they think and neither should you. I hunt for me, it is not all about killing for me, it is about just being able to get out and enjoy it all. I do not have to harvest an animal every time I go out to have a good hunt. You have meat in the freezer already, and you enjoyed time with your grandson. When the time is right to take the shot you will know. Imo, I would say you had a very successful hunt my friend, thanks for taking us along.
Tom

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Couldn't have said it better TJK68!

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Seems like a good Papa and all, but did you want a pat on the back for not shooting? Me personally, will have no other man "scold" me for my choices in the woods and would definietly not come here asking if I should be.

You let one walk, no big deal, nothing terrible or grand about it. I've let several walk already, my choice.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Man, you really screwed up! That may be your only chance of the....
Just kidding. Time spent in the woods with your grandson Luke is reward enough.
You will get another chance God willing and you certainly have the skill to seal the deal.
Now, if you had passed on a legal deer in south Florida I might know of a doctor you should see!
You and I have both passed on a lot of pigs, don't see how this would be any different.

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Your choice. Any deer within bow range of me is a trophy and I would have taken the shot. To each their own.
Paul

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
No you should not be scolded.

Like I tell my sons, it is their tag to do with it what they please.  

So... it is your tag to do with as you please.

Chad
Inquiring minds.......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©