3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.  (Read 943 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
not trying to open a can of worms here so please just add if you can help or give me some advice. i shoot a 63# at my draw no problem and all day long. i have been wanting to tinker around with a "heavy" bow for awhile now. as luck would have it i have been gifted a awesome by by a awesome friend! it is around #77 pounds at my draw. i can draw, anchor and shoot without a big problem but i know i could not shoot this monster all day or at a 3d. my questions is what can i do to work in to this bow? such as exercise or other wise that would help? again i can shoot it pretty good but would like to be able to be "comfortable" while shooting it. any advice?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Hi Ken.  I'd say keep at it and it will come.  I moved up from 75# to 80# over the summer, and I thought the same thing.  I started making my practice shooting into a workout at the same time; holding each shot for a five count before release.  Took a few weeks, but now it is just as comfortable as the old one was.  Some folks have whole exercise regimens that work for them, but just plain old shooting is what worked for me to go to 80#.  I just ordered my first, custom for me, Leon Stewart Slammer at 100#.  This may be a different story.

Tom

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Keep at it.  That is truly the best way.  Shoot it and pull it back when you can't get outside.  If you shoot at say a dozen or max couple dozen shots every day or every other day within a few months or so it will seem quite manageable.  Draw and hold with a slow letdown exercises work wonderfully as the slow letdown will actually build your strength faster than the actual pull.  Have fun!  I've got a 70" 100@30 Hill coming from Bama in 4 months, can't wait!  Been limited to 65# lately but before that had a a 70 and a 90# bow, with the advice above I was able to shoot the 90 pretty comfortably.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
I shoot quite a bit like Tom suggested.  Lots of "timed hold" shots close to a target.  With this sort of shooting, I'm not as concerned about accuracy, just building / maintaining strength.  I can shoot a couple of times a week for accuracy.

There are various regimens that you can do without the bow in your hand, as well.  The book "Precision Archery" by Steve Ruis has a routine, as does a video "Dead on Tradtitional" and another about shooting big bows, or something.

Like any physical pursuit, a good training regimen and dedication, would likely pay off.

hope this helps.
homebru

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Hey Ken,  don't forget to warm up those shoulders first.  I do some arm circles first just to limber up a bit, followed by a little stretching, Marine Corps daily seven style.  Just a minute or so to prevent strain injury.

Tom

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Yes warm up!  I actually had a lot of success warming up with a lighter bow first
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
no offense but to answer your question there is NO RISK as i do not have a problem with the weight just would like to feel more relaxed and handle it better all day. my question to you is why would you not shoot the heaviest bow YOU could? again this leads to a can of worms.....

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Why would you risk driving a car, climbing a tree stand, using a knife, etc? It's what he wants to do. Let him do it. It's fun to try things. He's looking for advice, not criticism. I also mean no offense.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
And you look like a stout dude Ken...lol

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by skunkhound:
I really don't mean to offend anyone, but why would you risk your shoulder, elbow, and hand to draw such a heavy bow, when everything in North America can be killed with a 50# bow. All of the older guys I shoot with regret the damage they did to their bodies shooting such heavy bows when they were younger. Are the surgeries and arthritis really worth it?
Do we really need to start this?  Let it go.  The guy is young and strong and shoots a heavier bow than you.  So what?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
gringol ya hit it on the head man, the day i can not handle it i will send it to Steve at Northern mist and have him take some off but right now its all good and yes i am not a ballerina, bit on the short and stout side.....

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Ken looks like he could go bear hunting with a switch, so if he can shoot that monster happily, go for it! If nothing else, you can probably club a deer to death with that bow.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Drewsbow said it was the most beautiful pry bar he ever saw.........

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
A beautiful bow Ken!

You are a lucky man

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Ken I did about the exact move in weights that you have a few years ago, and I just kept the heavier bow in a corner of the house.  When I walked by, I would draw it a few times and hold it at full draw for awhile. Did not take long at all.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
thank you all for the advice!
Manny Red Moon is my go to bow and will always be, "Monster" will be his big brother!

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Ken,

I do as mentioned above. When I walk by them in between honey do's, I draw, hold for 7 seconds, release or let down. Repeat as time allows.

You will build up in no time. I can shoot a 3D event easily with my #75's. I did it once with my Skookum that was #84 at my draw. I was only slightly fatigued, and a little sore the next day. I was using that bow as my work out bow. My new workout bow is #86.

I did well with CX350's out that bow.

Manny, I can't get your TC out my mind now. After I get my Black Canyon, I think I'll be saving up for a copy of yours. Boy, Jim has a ton of wood choices. I gotta stay off his site.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Do it while you are young and strong Ken... From what I've read, your body will build-up just what it needs to shoot that bow all day in time... Just draw-hold-let-down-slow seems to be the best way to gain strength.....  :thumbsup:

As for me... I need to go down in draw weight...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
When I see guys driving $60 diesel pickups with smoke stacks for a tailpipe and 38" tires and drop down hitches getting 6 MPG I ask myself the same question...why???  I think among some of us younguns (31 here) it's just those phrases "I wonder if I can?" and "because I can" that push us in the heavy bow direction.  Plus 34" 3/8" dia. wood arrows are just badass, its like chuckin spears. LOL. All them stories about Howard Hill don't help either.  

I will say most guys I hear about shooting heavy bows are shooting Hill bows or mild R/D's.  You don't hear much about crazy heavy hybrids...can you imagine a 100# Centaur?  Or a 100# Border Hex6 setup?  Fast??!!  Whoa, now my wheels are turning...

Really though, my favorite weight range is mid 50's.  I do enjoy the heavier weights for the speed and crisp release and the cool factor.  Can't "weight" for my 100# Bama in 4 months..the "Werewolf"  :D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
got all i pretty much needed from those that helped, turning in to a pissing contest know. i will do it because I WANT TO and because I CAN. should have known better to post this anyway. Shawn fixed the short drawing 2 years ago with help from Ken Thornhill, no longer a problem. shoulders are strong as a bear i i could care less what happens 10 years down the road. i shoot #63 now all day long and in to the night with know issue. i shoot the #77 pound decent and looking to improve hence this post, going to keep shooting and take advice that was given on here. again WHY???? BECAUSE I CAN AND WANT TO nuff said.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©