3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.  (Read 944 times)

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Good on ya Ken.
Settling for 'the average' is never where it's at    ;)

Those us that can, do. The rest, well...

I've got some GT7595 blems 28 3/4 VON to BOP that should work with about 300 grains up front for you.
I foot mine with 2216 and then 2413 and they are bomb proof out of heavier bows.

Let me know if you want me to post 'em out before i head out moose hunting.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
If you like lifting weights do some heavy dumbell rows. They really help me with bow drawing stamina.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Somebody will always open that can of worms, but I say go for it! As people have indicated build up to it carefully and stay in condition so that you can handle it well. When you get tired, put it down, but as you well know, over time you will become comfortable pulling that weight. Just be cautious that form does not suffer. Yes, I did hurt my shoulder with my heavy bow, but that was on me for using poor form. When I heal up sufficiently, I will again pull out the big boy. The first time I ever shot a 3D round that I thought was as good as I can do was with a 78# Bamboo Longhunter , so you will certainly be able to shoot a full 3D round.
Sam

Offline ausjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Ken I've had some success increasing bow weights by treating drawing that bow just as I would doing heavy squats or bench press in the gym. 3-5 sets of 5 reps, slow and controlled. I shot at a BIG target from a few yards away so all I was concerned about was nice form with the heavy load. I found doing a comprehensive warm up that finished with heavy shoulder press and overhand heaves helpful.

I've found shoulder stability in the bow arm one of the hardest things to adjust to with heavier bows, my bow arm always wants to jump left on release.

I like the sound of the slow let down described above. I know them as 'negatives' and they are a proven, established method of developing strength.

When I started shooting over 60# bows my regular back workout started with 3x8 weighted overhand heaves (total 250#) but I couldn't properly pull a 70#@28" longbow. There's nothing like pulling a heavy bow to get good at pulling a heavy bow, imo.

Good luck

Jim

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
again thanks to all for the advice!
Daz i'll pick up some 75/95 some where around here would hate to ask that off ya but THANK YOU for that offer!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Naturally it will get easier with practice, but if you feel like you've reached a plateau of sorts, try some pushing exercises to strengthen your chest (push-ups, chest press, etc.). Our bodies like to be balanced; sometimes the only way to add pulling strength is to build some more pushing strength. Pull-ups will do a lot for back and core strength as well.
Live and let live.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Ken brother, lots of good advises here.  No doubt you will shoot Monster with ease soon.
Casey, you shot my Thunderchild extremely well, and this from the first arrow!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Double post.   :(
Live and let live.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Nineworlds a 50# bow is just as fast as a 90# bow all else being equal drawlength gpp., same bow design, etc. Shawn
Shawn you're absolutely right, I should have clarified that it's the glory of feeling and seeing a danged heavy arrow fly that equal speed that makes one marvel...as I said 34",3/8" wood flying flat and true is a sight!  

Ken-
I don't think anyone's getting out of line with a pissing contest, we're just chatting and bouncing thoughts around the campfire around here.  Shawn or anyone else won't stop you, me, or others from shooting heavy.  Variety is the spice of life.   ;)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
i have thicker skin then a gator just didn't want the thread getting locked up with some much helpful info.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
I had a 73# recurve for a couple years loved that bow. I went from a 55# to the 73#. It tokk a few week of shorter practice sessions to get muscles acclimated but was very comfy in a quick time frame. Only reason I went to a 63# was I wanted to be able to practice more and the 73 was hard to draw after a long time on stand in winter. So I guess I wasn't as tough as I thought I was... lol.  But I shot that heavy bow great, just not as long of sessions or as often.
 It won't take long for your muscles to get adjusted. Enjoy that new bow.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Shooting a heavy bow is all about proper form and physical training. The three best exercises for developing back mucles (imo) are the deadlift, bent over or Kroc rows, and neutral grip pullups. (Google all three lifts for proper form)

I have seen numerous shoulder injuries from a lot of different sports, and it all comes back to lack of physical training. Develop a consistent LIFE LONG training program and you will avoid a lot of those "weekend" injuries. Dont let people who dont physically train hold you back. Good Luck.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Isn't it interesting that even though Ken asked for info on pulling heavy bows and specifically asked for no nay sayers (a couple of times)that he got them anyway.

I'm not a Dr. and don't play one on TradGang so I tend to question shoulder problem advice. There are a lot of reasons we have shoulder problems and it's not automatically because of bow shooting anymore than lacing up your boots causes back problems.

I spent most of a lifetime shooting bows 75# and more. I backed off from my favored 80 pounders after breaking my neck at the age of 33.
70 to 75# was still very doable.
Today at 66 I have no shoulder problems. I've backed off to about 55# these days. A life of hard physical labor and hard living has taken it's toll.
If I was able I'd still be shooting 70#. A good shooting 70 pounder pushing a 600 grain + arrow. Does compare similarly through a chrono to a 50 pounder. But that's the only place.

I've taken flying, swimming, running, and standing game at long and short distances with those bows. Cleaned up on the 3D courses where everyone else there knew they were competing for second place Because I was there.

So go ahead and enjoy it Ken. Just be careful as you advance.

I've been drawn into this discussion from the pissing match angle and I guess I've added to that. I've also said a few things that can be taken for boasting. I apologize for both.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Good on ya ken, heavy bows are rewarding if you are that way inclined

Warm up, draw or shoot regularly, draw and hold, draw to part draw length and hold. Most of the standard target archery manuals contain all the info you need, except it's pitched at beginners moving up from zero draw weight to a low draw, your moving just from a different place!

It's really worth getting your build up right. I blew out my bow Side AC joint trying to step from 75 to 110#.  Caused a 3 month spell of no shooting at all.

I think such a step is possible but should be attempted in very small increments of increasing draw length, happily your step is much smaller and more sensible

All the best!

P.s. when it comes down to it we don't shoot barebow stick bows to make hitting targets easier

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Mornin Ken,

I was gifted an 81 pound Dave Johnson longbow a year or so ago...and now shoot it regularly and routinely. At first it was heavy but I could shoot it a few times.

I put it in the house and every single time I walked by I stopped and drew that bow. Let it down s l o w l y.......

While training my body to do the extra work (just exactly like any other physical endeavor we need to train for) I started on a quest for extra heavy arrows...which was huge fun.

Now I shoot 20-30 arrows a day from this bow with no difficulty...and you will too.

I personally know guys who are built like power poles...all skinny and lean, who shoot 100 pound bows. It's all about approaching it smartly.

I also know people who run 2 miles in under 11 minutes, and others who dead lift 500 pounds.

so do you bro.

I agree that most if not all animals on this continent can or have been killed with lower weight bows. I have not killed everything so I can't say for sure, but I can say for sure there is nothing quite like matching yourself to a heavier bow and shooting an 800 grain arrow...the satisfaction that comes from that is very fullfilling....

Maybe not for everyone. But it is for me.

Good luck sir, I know you will succeed in your quest...I dont know how much help I can be to you, but I am at your service and wish you the best.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Duncan Idaho I bet I'm the only nerd on here that knows where your handle is from LOL!  probably my favorite character of all time.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
One other thing to notice; seems as if heavy bows are for younger guys..

Like Charlie, I shot an 83# recurve for years and years.. It was a killer !!

Now that I'm pushing 60 I'm shooting a bow just over 60#..  I've sure been toying with the idea of bumping that up a bit though, lol.. No fool like an old fool, eh...

Go get 'em Ken !

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Be sure to work your bow arm also. To me it seemed like that was my weakest point when I started my climb. The main and only problem I have with shooting heavy bows is finding affordable arrows.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Thanks for stirring the pot, Jeff.  There's nothing we want more than an internet pissing match.  Thanks again.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
I cleaned it up Ken....and its not going to get locked.

Here's a thread with tons of info...

CLICK HERE
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©