3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.  (Read 942 times)

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: advice and info on shooting heavy bows please.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Take your time, draw with your off hand, and listen to your body.
I have shot heavy stuff for years, but there are some days when I know I shouldn't, and I don't. Eventually the heavy bow will feel natural and light. At that point you could decide to stay put or head up to heavier weights. Following this method I hunted all last year with a 115# Hill. It took dedication, and i shot nearly everyday, but I enjoyed it immensely.
Most importantly is the fact that this bow means something special to you. Work into it and enjoy!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Nineworlds a 50# bow is just as fast as a 90# bow all else being equal drawlength gpp., same bow design, etc. Shawn
Yes Sir...but rest assured...the TRAIN WRECK aint the same!!!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programing....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Ken You are my Hero!

just wish I had something to add that hasnt been said already!

Looking forward to seeing Monster the Prybar in person lol.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I like what you said Terry....train wreck..LOL...it really is tho...heavy arrows shot out of a heavy bow really do hit hard...hard to describe...

I'm totally done worrying about whether my arrow will go thru a bone....now I worry about ever finding the arrow after it goes thru the bone...but that's not a bad problem either.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
good on you Ken, in a world where finding a used bow over 55 lbs any more is tough, and everyone says your over bowed if your shooting over what they shoot, its good to see someone actually work to achieve a goal that is VERY achievable. And to see the majority of the posters agreeing with you, I shoot 60lbs and I catch so much grief I almost wanna cover up the weight of my bow, After breaking both bicep tendons a year apart, I had to drop weight some but hope to get back to 65 lbs , my 60th birthday is in a couple months, maybe I will gift myself a new set of limbs!!  good luck, it sounds like it wont be a problem for ya
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
thanks again for all the help and info. the bow now sits in the corner and i draw it and let down S L O W L Y when i go by. it really is not that much of a jump as i have been shooting a #63 long bow for 2 years now and i am very comfortable with it, use it at 3d's with no problem and feels really smooth. troth be told the #77 ( #80@28 i draw 27) did not feel to bad to begin with but i want to become as comfortable with it as i am my #63 pound hence this thread looking for advice on how to do so. and great info i received! no about arrows for the monster, could use some advice there too if possible. was thinking about some carbons in the 75/95 range and messing with weight up front. also Ron W gave me some 2216's to use and they flew GREAT but i am leary of aluminum at this weight?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Surewood makes doug fir shafts that are stiff enough for that.  If you're going to shoot a bow built for paul bunyan, you might as well shoot woodies.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Welcome to the wild side Ken! I'm pretty excited for you! Been shooting these bigge4r bows for 37 years straight now. Let common sense prevail & you'll be fine. But, it IS an adjustment from lighter even 63#. Once you've worked yourself into these rocket launchers I'll bet you're in for the count? Great friend to share his bow like that! I'll forward some exercises. b
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Haha, Never fails to stir up trouble when someone mentions bow weight. Ken I say go for it if it makes you happy. Some of us drive silly cars, some shoot heavy bows, some like big women .. lol. As they say, to each his own.

I shoot the most weight I can comfortably ... thats about 45# ... I'm not particularly weak, just don't have enough time to train properly with more.

Anyway, I commend your efforts .... one of these days I'll get myself to part with some money and get a 60#@28" bow ... bout 54 @ my 25" draw.

I hope this didn't sound negative at all ... I'm finding it hard to be funny and sincere through the written word right now ...

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
I've found bows in the 80s really like wood arrows, but there are a lot of options. Carbons (with a lot up front and maybe some weight in the arrows) or aluminums work equally as well. Shoot whatever you prefer, as long as the weight of the completed arrow is sufficient you will be fine. The choices for arrows gets more slim the higher up in weight you go.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Like to see a few pix of this new girl if you have them? Recognized some good folks herein some good hands indeed with no less enthusiasm working their way up a bit. They're willing to help whenever...Russ & Wade & last I saw even Terry was shooting around 77# with a Hill I believe? If you're having fun you're doing it right!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I think you will be shooting it just as good as your others in no time . Like others said just keep at it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
check the workout regiment posted on that other thread i provided a link 4. Most people are injured  because they do not how to draw the bow correctly.  also check the form clock thread featured at the top of the shooters forum

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
thanks Terry, have used the form clock often and just checked out the link!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
straitera THANK YOU for the email TON of great things on there! i'll take some good pic's of the bow tomorrow, still uploading pic's to Photobucket now from CO elk hunt.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Ken,

I'm a wimp and admit a 70# Dan Quillion Patriot bested me.  One tip I can pass is to pull something heavier as exercise and then try the bow.  Dick Palmer used to sell a draw strength builder based on that concept.  Muscle is built when you damage the existing muscle and the body replenishes the tissue.  

Probably not the best thing for form but it would build muscles.

Good luck!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Ken....pulling it a time or two when you walk by is ok...and better once you GET to where you need to be.  A 'regiment' workout would serve you better with warm ups with a lighter bow.

And, have you killed anything yet with a trad bow?...any big game?  Don't let the 'big bow' interfere with sharpening your hunting skills. If you can hunt, the bow makes no different no matter what weight it is.  

We already had a guy do that...just started trad archery, then got into heavy bows, became a self imposed instant expert on everything making all sorts of assumptionist posts and to this day has never killed a big game animal.  Least he hadn't when he left here a few months ago.

What I'm saying is, don't get so caught up on chasing weight instead of game....after all, its bow season for some of us already.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Ken, 7595s would probably work. Start full length and point weight around what you want your broadheads to be and then either start cutting or add weight to get them to tune. Big Jim just got in some blems. Timely.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

If you can hunt, the bow makes no different no matter what weight it is.  

What I'm saying is, don't get so caught up on chasing weight instead of game....after all, its bow season for some of us already.
Great points Terry!   :thumbsup:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
no i have not taken a big game animal with the bow which is exactly why you will never see me post in a thread discussing broad heads or arrows for deer. i do not plan on hunting with this bow this year just want to shoot it well and enjoy. now who doesn't want to launch a heavy arrow from a heavy bow and watch the target shake??? i can tell you i do enjoy shooting heavy bows and its what i want to do. i will be deer hunting with my Missippi lake longbow very soon and hope to take my first trad deer with it. will also continue to shoot the Mist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©