3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DEER DANDER  (Read 345 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
DEER DANDER
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
What do you guys think about this sent?  I have tried tons of sents and had no real luck with them coming in. I was wondering if this is a gimmick or really works?

I mostly rely on sent control more than anything.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DEER DANDER
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
I have had good luck using this cover scent. I just spray it on my pants and boots, so what ever vegetation I may touch walking in covers my human scent. And I'll spray a little around my ladder sticks at the base of the tree. Seems to keep the deer calm and sometimes curious. I've had them sniffing my ladder before. Certainly doesn't spook them, at least that I can tell.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
There is a saying about using using scents and calls and that is you have to be where the deer want to go. Deer are curious animals but if they want to go somewhere you aren't gonna change their mind. All attractants can is help bring them in close. I prefer to leave behind as little scent as possible even covers and attractants because even with that stuff they can still smell you. I actually had a buck on my parents place pattern me and my papa because of a dirt scented scent killer spray we were using on our boots. We saw that buck a lot but he always new exactly where we were. So, in my opinion scents and calls are a gimmick. Not to say that don't work because sometimes they do in certain scenarios but not enough to be relied upon. The only surefire way to get on deer is to hunt the wind and don't let them know you are their.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
I have killed quite a few bucks using scents over the years. Once the rut begins ecsp. the seeking phase a drag rag is a great way to lead a buck past your stand. i myself recently bought some Evercalm, deer dander in a roll on form. Gonna experiment with it this year quite a bit. I have a bow only area loaded with deer and I will intentionally set-up a few times in the early season so the deer come in down wind of me and see what happens. Shawn
Shawn

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I have had great experiences using "Deer Dander"... I highly recommend it. It used to be for sale at a lower price and I used it every time I went out. But it's been awhile since I've seen it locally so haven't used it lately... It works great as a cover scent, on your boots, or spraying in patches/areas you want the deer to stop or browse in for a shot. I haven't used the "Ever Calm" but if it's like "Deer Dander" in stick form it should work well also. I like the option of both spray and stick...

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
I have had some pretty good luck with Dan Fitzgerald's deer dander over the years. Peace

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
It's the only scent ill use. I have had fantastic luck with it. I don't know the secret behind it but it works
Down side for some but I have killed 4 yotes with my bow that I directly credit to deer dander.  Nose down on a trot they came in every where the scent was!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Love the stuff. Scent seemed to change on the last bottle i bought but was still ok. In my opinion not as good though. Have some pretty convincing field results ( in my opinion anyways). Are any chain stores carrying it. That last bottle was from cabelas i think. Havent seen in a long time though.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Only place I have found in years was online
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Deer Dander available at Cabelas and some Walmarts
One of the best, but I also liked Muzzy's bowhunter set up (but they quit making it when they sold the company)
Slickhead

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
Leave it in the store. TonyZ

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
I used the Evercalm a couple of years back when it was called Deer Herd in a Stick. Never saw any more (or less as far as I know) deer because of it, but did have a rub show up on a small tree that I had put it on a few days earlier. Always wondered about the Deer Dander, may have to give it a try.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©