3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Transition to traditional archery  (Read 710 times)

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Transition to traditional archery
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Guys,
I'm really struggling to 100% commit to traditional archery.
I have been shooting my recurves and my longbow daily for the better part of that past 18 months. I love it. I enjoy it much more than shooting my compound. I rarely shoot my compound anymore. The problem is this. I feel confident that I can effectively hunt with my traditional equipment, but only out to about a max of 25 yards. I am very confident in my compound out to about 50 yards, though I freely admit that I have never shot a deer over 20 yards.
Last year I did not hunt with my traditional gear because I just felt I needed another year to practice. This year I am ready to hunt with it. I just feel like that compound sitting on my desk is some sort of crutch I can fall back on if I need to.

I have a chance to trade my decked out creed for a black widow pma II in graybark and a newer Kodiak recurve. Both have quivers, arrows, and other various accessories. I'm just nervous to take that leap into traditional bowhunting full time.

How did any of you handle the leap?
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Transition to traditional archery
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Just trade or sale the compound and the crutch is gone. You will not regret it. That is what I did and I have never looked back, nor will I ever.
Tom

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Just take the plunge man! I did the same thing and you won't regret it.  You just have to change your hunting style a bit to ensure that you get those close range shots even tho like you said, I could count on one hand the deer I took over 30 yards with my compound.  You won't regret the widow either, great great bows.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I shoot deer every yr, and pass up hundreds more, there is no need, unless say your hunting the flat land of the west and just getting with in 50yrds is a nightmare.
Randy

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I understand, I was there recently. I sold my compound earlier this year and do not miss it one bit. It wasn't that hard. I barely shot the compound because it was not enjoyable to me anymore. You just have to take the plunge.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
I'm at the same spot.  This will be my first season without wheels.  I figure once I put 1 in the pot I will get rid of the compound.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I simply started hunting with my longbows, being aware that my effective range was more limited. But I hunt with firearms, too, the point of bowhunting for me is to see if I can succeed with the greater challenge.I did eventually sell my wheels, but not b/c I regarded them as a fallback; I simply had no desire to take them in the woods. Basically I wanted to hunt with the bow(s) that I enjoy shooting day to day when I'm not hunting.  Note that the value of compounds drops quickly with age; if you're thinking to sell, you might want to move quickly.
Jim

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
I can't remember the last animal I have shot past 20yds. I shoot quite a few critters and most are 10-15yds. Trad is different than wheel bows. You have to do things differently and 25+yd shots are not even part of the equation for nearly all successful trad hunters.

You should hunt with whichever bow makes you most happy. It is not right or wrong to go one way or the other. We are all just trying to have fun and what is fun for one guy is not for another. The main thing is to have fun.

If you go into the woods with a stick bow thinking "Man I wish I had my wheels because .................", you are setting yourself up for failure.

Bisch

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
" I love it. I enjoy it much more than shooting my compound"

looks to me you answered your own question.at least that is all it took for me to loose the wheels good huntin to ya
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Since going full Trad almost 15 years ago I have had many nice deer fall just outside my effective range.  At first I would always say "Man if I had my compound, I could have shot that - so sweat"  Now I say  "I need to get closer"
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Just go kill a deer with your trad bow if you haven't yet. You will not look back or think back again   :bigsmyl:

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
The only way is to dive in head first, sink or swim! No need to ever shoot a deer further than 20 yds anyway    :archer:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Just do it!!!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I too think you've answered your own question. You never shot a deer past 20 yards with your compound right? Just remember, no matter how good a shot you are, even at 300fps a lot can happen in the time it takes an arrow to travel 50 yards.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
You just have to decide for yourself. I hunt w/ Trad. equipment and compound. Have killed a bunch of deer with compound and two with Traditional Bow[Widow PSA] . Also hunt with muzzleloader and rifle. This year am going to try with 44 mag. pistol. I enjoy all the different hunting .Will not lock into just one way of hunting. Would not be too fast to get rid of a good compound.Might wish it was back.   One opinion, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Typically, there's two differing hunting philosophies at work when comparing hunting with a compound vs hunting with traditional gear.

When hunting with a compound, hunters often think in terms of "how far can I shoot". This thinking often shapes how and where they hunt, for the thinking is to cover as much ground as possible and have a wide cone of shooting options, out to 50-60 yards.

When hunting with traditional gear, hunters often think in terms of "how close can I get". Counter to hunting places with lots of visibility, traditional hunters often get into a setup where there's lots of traffic on a game trail, but the shooting may be 15 yards, tops.

The way to handle the leap is to make your bowhunting a 15 yard game and to figure out how you're going to get 10-15 yards from the game you're after and give up on thoughts of 30 yard plus shots-they no longer exist, so don't worry about them.

Offline HighTecRedNeck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I am in the same boat as you my friend. To force the issue I have been selling my training wheel bows one at a time.

I am down to a single Hoyt which I will use this year.

Where I hunt there is a special doe season in Jan 2014 and that will be all trad going forward for me.
You either do or you don't, there is no try

All The Way !

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
It sounds to me like you've already set your heart on hunting with a single-string. Do it, you will love every moment.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
You have the chance to trade a small hardware store with string wrapped around it for two nice recurves with all the necessary arrows and quivers?

I'm sorry, there's a question on this??

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Just do it. I sold all of my compound gear after killing nearly 100 deer with wheels in 18 years, and haven't looked back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©