3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Transition to traditional archery  (Read 709 times)

Offline H-MANEOD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Transition to traditional archery
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Just sold my Mathews DXT and every compound thing at once.  Now I have no choice.  When I feel I'm ready, I'll hunt with it. Best of Luck
Kurt Heitman
Retired USAF EOD 1989-2009
MADDOG
FEDORA

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
One of the challenges of traditional archery is that you must be closer to your quarry. If you are competent out to 25 yards, you are a pretty damn good archer. Don't compare it to the compound, as you simply do not have the mechanical advantage offered by the wheels. You will NEVER be able to shoot accurately with trad gear at the extended ranges the wheelie bow allows. Let your woodsman/hunting skills get you the close shots you need to be confident and effective with your traditional bow. Most of all, get rid of these self doubts you seem to be feeling and just hunt.
Sam

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I shot target and field archery with stick-bows (mostly recurve).  In 1980 a friend convinced me I needed a compound for hunting deer - which I hadn't tried until then as I was a newlywed and meat was now precious - so I tried one.  Made every mistake you can think of and I watched some great bucks run or walk off with my arrows in various places not part of a deer.  Also hated the fact my aluminum arrows did not hold up to roving.

Went back to a recurve in 1983 and have not shot a compound or non-wood arrow since.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
I say make the trade.
look at it like this the compound will loose value very fast. the widow will not. make the trade for the widow and give trad 100% for the season. if you feel you ever need a compound again sell the widow and come out of top with the finacial aspect. And you will be able to make the decision of shooting full trad, both, or only compound then after you gave it a full season.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
To borrow from Nike. Just do it.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Sell the wheels and never look back. Don't worry about killing something with your bow and just enjoy hunting with it.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
I haven't sold my wheels... because nobody wants an old, left-handed, cheap compound, but I haven't shot it (or pulled it out of the closet) in over a year.  My friends think I'm crazy.  

What they don't realize is that in my mind, I've killed deer - that's not the only thing I enjoy about hunting.  I'm hunting whether I have a stick or a bazooka.  For me it is about the hunt.  

If you are worried about your killing range, wait until rifle season... unless you truly enjoy shooting the compound - then keep it.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
You better hurry and trade...it's a smokin deal.
If you know your confidence level is there this year, what's holding you back?
This is my first year with all trad too, so I remember how I felt as you do when trying to decide last year.
If you get a chance to hog hunt with your trad gear, do it. It helped me transition to being able to now hunt deer.
Irv Eichorst

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scott E:
Sell the wheels and never look back. Don't worry about killing something with your bow and just enjoy hunting with it.
Whoops... didn't get this one read before I posted.
What he said (that's how I feel)!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
Jump on the trade as it is a great deal.  Then go hunting and have fun.

Traditional truly is a state of mind.  You either have it, or you don't.  It is not something you can force on yourself or anyone.

You have to be doing it for the challenge, self satisfaction, and ultimately because you want to.

When I made the switch in 1994, it was easy, and I have never looked back.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Follow your heart. If your not ready to let go of the wheels then keep them. When I transitioned to "trad" I never looked back and I traded my compound for a kayak.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
After shooting a few deer with a compound I was bored. I tried an old bear recurve that my cousin and hunting buddy had (he converted prior to me)
I had a lot of fun shooting it so I went and got a long bow. After shooting it I was happy with the simplicity of the design. I immediatey sold the PSE compound.
Now I'll tell you that many times after that day I have been frustrated enough that if that PSE was still in the closet, I may have gotten it out.
But traditional archery is about "Tradition"
If you want to kill every time, its not the best tool (at least in my hands)
But when you do connect the feeling is ohhhh so much better.
But honestly at my age its not about killing anymore. If I do then great, if not then its less work dragging a deer up a steep hill.
In a nutshell its all about simplicity and the experience.
Good Luck
  :archer2:
Slickhead

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Thank you for the advice and positive encouragement.
3 pages of helpful folks without one negative.. how refreshing.
That alone says a lot about why I have been gravitating toward traditional archery for some time now.

And yes, you guys were right. I did pretty much answer my own question. I do love shooting my traditional bows. I rarely get the Mathews out.

I really like the comments about changing the hunt in regards to setting up stands for closer shots. I did notice that my thought process changed quite a bit this year when choosing stand locations and shooting lanes. I used to set my stands up 20 yards off main trails but this year they are mostly set at 10-15 yards off the main trails.

Thank you TradGang for giving me that little push I needed.
I will be working out a deal today lord willing.
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
As others have said, you just need to focus on getting the close shots you need and don't worry about those that are longer.  I was like you - had never shot anything over 20 yards anyway, even though with the wheel bow I was fully capable.  Since switching full time, have there been any shots I passed with the stickbow that I might have been able to make with a compound?  Of course.  But I don't regret the weapon I had in my hands at all.

I can say for certain that I have become a better hunter since switching over.  The bow didn't make me that way, but it is just something that happened.  Focus your energy in learning to become a better hunter instead of a better long distance shot and your success rate will go up.

When I set the wheels down for good I kept my compound around for a number of years as my "crutch".  It was a nice bow, top of the line at the time, and I could have gotten a pretty good price for it had I just done it then.  Eventually ended up selling it for peanuts just to get it out of the house.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
Here is my opinion, take it for what it is. I don't mean to sound harsh:

If a guy is still thinking about 50 yard shots with a bow, he isn't ready.

You will never "commit" if you have a compound to fall back on. Get rid of it.

Once you ditch the compound mentality, you will realize the hidden secret....a longbow or recurve is actually a SUPERIOR tool for close range hunting. A compound is cumbersome and overly complicated. You will become a better hunter and get closer, and you will be rewarded with the realization that you are making shots and killing game that COULDN'T BE DONE WITH A COMPOUND.

I laugh when I read comments about game animals and situations in which "I used my compound because I couldn't get close".....nonsense. Realize how many average joes kill "long range game" like mule deer and antelope every year with traditional gear....

I am absolutely NOT a great stalker/stillhunter....yet I was able to kill a mule deer at 10 yards, and a caribou at 13 yards.

Go donate your compound to charity, and get on with it.

P.S....kudos for being responsible and training with your traditional gear for as long as you did. I have much respect for that. Too many guys jump in too quickly.    :thumbsup:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
You don't know how deep the water is  until you get feet out of the boat.... sell the wheels, give it away, take to cables off, accidentally back over it with you truck.
Joe
PS Then Don't play the game of seeing a deer and not getting a shot and saying "Oh if I had had my other bow...! (or a Mathews, X-bow, or range finder, or triple stablizer, or 30.30, or my .06 w/ 3X9 or a .7MM w/ 4X12)
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
I tried to ride the fence between my compound and trad gear for a while. I eventually came to the conclusion both were suffering. I had to choose one over the other. Once I went trad only I felt my confidence and my shooting improve. I still have not taken a deer with trad gear but I have passed on many opportunities that this year I will be fully confident in. I guess we are all different, others can switch gear and still be proficient, I can't. I think if you find what makes you happy; you have succeeded.

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I made the trade!!!
Shipping the wheels out tomorrow!
I ended up changing the deal a bit though.
I got a black widow pma II in graybark with bw quiver and bw bag with a dozen carbon arrows.
I also got a bear montana long bow with a dozen custom cedar shafts - all with field points.. and a half dozen new woodsman broadheads.

I am excited!
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
somewhere I seen a quote something like this

"Archers find ways to shoot accurately farther, bow hunters find a way to get close enough to ensure accuracy".

I decided I was a bow hunter, that was when I decided on Trad.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Nice deal!  You got a lot of traditional goodies for your wheel bow.  It was a good long term trade too, those stickbows will be worth a lot more in the years to come than the compound you traded.  Recurves and longbows hold their value a lot better than compounds.

I think you made a good choice but at the risk of being branded a heretic on a traditional site I don't think there's anything wrong with having and shooting both stickbows and compounds.  I love my recurves and rarely shoot my compound anymore but it's still hanging on the wall all tuned up and ready to go.  I hunt with it in very cold weather, for me all the clothing required for extreme temperatures really throws off my form.  Even with lots of bulky clothing and balaclavas, the pending hypothermia of late season hunting means my recurve accuracy takes a dive.  At those times I take the compound since I question my ability to adapt with the stickbow.  I don't want to stay home and I don't want to wound one, I guess I figure it's all archery and even though I prefer one type over the other I don't see the other as evil.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©