3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Transition to traditional archery  (Read 708 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Transition to traditional archery
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Way To Go JC! Now your "hunting world" will be close in and personal... Just what true archery in hunting should be!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I will offer a bit of a different perspective.

A lot of fellows who do fine with compounds have come to this same fork in the trail. I did in 2010 after 34 years of compound success (and enjoyment).

1. The vast majority of bow shots in the east US are under 25 yards. The average compound 17 yards and the average recurve or longbow is around 14 yards. (The average with a rifle is only 37 yards). Your reported effective range of 25 yards is more than enough to keep you in the action.

2. There is no need to get rid of your compound. I keep one for the fun of shooting and in case I am injured in a way I can't shoot my curves but can the compound. This very thing happened in the season of 2009 which would have been my first year back to curves. I also keep one and may decide to hunt turkey with it.

Like you I practiced 50-60 yards with the compound far more than I did at under 35.  I didn't practice that far because I intended to shoot an uninjured animal that far. This made the under 30-yard shot a true gimmee. In 44 years of bowhunting (34 with the compound) I've only taken 3 shots over 30 yards -- killed one each at 31 (whitetail) and 33 yards (Mulie) and missed one that was further.  

When I committed to the curve I worried that finally the monster buck I've always dreamed about would pop out at 30 yards and my 20-yard effective range with the curve would put him out of reach. Of course I came to the realization years ago that how I kill an animal is more important to me than killing the animal.  

In fact, that very thing happened the first year on opening morning!  Three nice bucks, one that was bigger than I've ever shot with anything, was 23-25 yards. I passed him because I felt good at 20 and under. I don't regret it anymore than when I hunted with the compound and a big buck was at .308 range.  

Owning and shooting a compound doesn't make you any less or more a bowhunter than other equipment choices.  I will offer though, the satisfaction of hunting with the curve is a very pleasurable nostalgic experience for me. The satisfaction I get from a curve kill is greater than with the compound. These are the two primary reasons I choose recurves.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
I hit the range yesterday with an Osage stick, a glass recurve, and a space age wheel bow. I shot the wheel bow it make sure "it" was accurate when I wanted to use it. I shot the others so I would know "I" was accurate when I needed to be. I will mostly hunt trad this year but there is still room for another tool for the job,  just like my rifles. I made my selfbow this year and I can tell you that it will mean more to me to kill a deer with it than anything else,  but it will not be the only method I use. It's all good.  

No mater the reasons,  you made a good trade on the two bows for your wheels. No doubt they will be worth much more in 5 years than the compound. If you want to go back find a used compound for a good deal and you're  way ahead in the game.

Good luck this season!
Trout
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Watch this video  
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
what a great video.. I can definitely relate to it. Thank you for posting.
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I can't remember the last animal I have shot past 20yds. I shoot quite a few critters and most are 10-15yds. Trad is different than wheel bows. You have to do things differently and 25+yd shots are not even part of the equation for nearly all successful trad hunters.

You should hunt with whichever bow makes you most happy. It is not right or wrong to go one way or the other. We are all just trying to have fun and what is fun for one guy is not for another. The main thing is to have fun.

If you go into the woods with a stick bow thinking "Man I wish I had my wheels because .................", you are setting yourself up for failure.

Bisch
I think Bisch hit it on the head.  I know from time to time people may put off the impression that, 'traditional archery is the only way', and call a compound, "training wheels", but the main point of the outdoors is to enjoy it.  If you are not at a point to where you enjoy shooting the trad bow more than the compound, keep it.  If you are, trade it(then send me the black widow ;).

As some one who just sold his compound a matter of weeks ago, I will say that since i built my longbow 2 years ago, my compound has seen minimal action.  So I decided to give it to someone who might actually want it.  

DO WHAT YOU ENJOY!

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I seen that video a few months ago, and that's when I knew my wheels would stay in the closet.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the video link!  

The bow was a west coast recurve from the brass TD bolt inserts in the face of the riser ends.  Was it a Wallace or Fox?

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
[

Once you ditch the compound mentality, you will realize the hidden secret....a longbow or recurve is actually a SUPERIOR tool for close range hunting. A compound is cumbersome and overly complicated. You will become a better hunter and get closer, and you will be rewarded with the realization that you are making shots and killing game that COULDN'T BE DONE WITH A COMPOUND.

I think this is right. I killed 3 deer with a longbow before I sold my compound 8 years ago.I kept going back and forth. I killed a pile of critters with a compound, but I've found the longbow to make me a better hunter.I've learned to set up better and get better shots. I certainly still see deer out of range, but really they would be to far for me with a compound too. I'm not the best shot out there, but under 20 I do pretty good.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by D.J. Carr:
somewhere I seen a quote something like this

"Archers find ways to shoot accurately farther, bow hunters find a way to get close enough to ensure accuracy".

I decided I was a bow hunter, that was when I decided on Trad.
Look at my sig line
Inquiring minds.......

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:00 AM »
well guys.. the compound shipped out yesterday.
According to the UPS site.. my widow and bear should be here tomorrow. I am excited to start this journey.
I will try to post up pics of my new bows when they arrive.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Sounds like a heck of a deal! And everyone's right - those two bows, especially the Widow, will hold their values when you decide to try other bows.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Loving my widow!! It shoots like a dream..

Offline jeffhuntelk123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
I sold my compound and purchased a black widow pma and on the first day I shot probably 60 arrows thru and was throwing some good groups from 10-25 yards,and since I have been kinda spraying them a little and I know I am playing with different stance,hold,ect.any suggestions???
jeff yost

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Unfortunately I am also state an alternative point.  I stopped shooting my compound years ago, dedicated to hunting traditional.  I have never harvested an animal with traditional gear to-date.  I have passed on numerous shot opportunities though for a variety of reasons.  But 3 weeks ago I had elbow surgery.   The surgery went very well and I had begun physical therapy.  Naturally I am anxious to shoot my bows again.  Unfortunately when trying my longbows and recurves, I experience pain, but not when shooting my compound.  It probably is due to the let-off on the compound.  All bows are equal draw weights.  Now I will continue to rehab my elbow and eventually I will be strong enough to shoot my traditional bows, but my hunting this year will likely be done with the compound.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Sell the wheels and move on from it. You'll be fine and a lot happier.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline daddymonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
If it gets you off your butt and out of the house enjoying nature who cares if you are using a recurve, a compound, a slingshot or a spork. I hope your new bows bring you joy and some great experiences.
whether you believe you can or believe you can't you are right.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
These guys are totally right on the stick bow being a better short range weapon.  I was just last night down in my basement starting to get everything around for upcoming deer season.  I decided to shoot the wheelie and noticed after a few shots that the bubble off my one pin sight had fallen off.  I found it, but now I need to glue it back on.  There's also tons of gadgets on it to be checked and oiled/etc.  The only thing you need to do to a trad bow is wax the string (and shoot it regularly of course).  I'm not 100% trad yet, but hopefully will be by next year.  I couldnt make the time this summer with fishing and building a new home.
>>>--------->

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Do what I did.  Trade your compound for a pair of custom knives to match your favorite bow!  I now have a great bushcraft knife for when I camp/hunt at the same time and a custom skinner for dressing out what I kill.  Both the bow and knife scales are cocobolo, one of my favorite woods.  It worked out fantastic for me...

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
While reading your post, couldn't help but wonder just how many folks here have done exactly the same? Guaranteed, it is a big bunch!

Can't you shoot both? Which do you enjoy more? I got puke sick with compound shooting tacks at 20 yards! Tacks don't move & you'll never find a deer broadside at 20 yards! Man up Newb! This stuff is too much fun!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©