3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acorn Report  (Read 628 times)

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acorn Report
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm loaded down with Pin Oak acorns right now. I'm sure we will have plenty of red oaks as well when I get out looking in a couple days.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Plenty of acorns here only still on the tree. Persimmons are falling and will be my plan next week. Lots of crabapples as well that should be dropping in maybe 2-3 weeks. RC

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
A fair crop of reds and whites, but the chestnut oaks are excellent and falling like rain.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
I have seen a lot on the ground already. We don't open for another 2 weeks.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Some by me but not as many as the past two years.

We were covered in acorns for the last two years.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Last year we had zero. This year tons, reds and whites.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
It's still hard to tell around here. Nothing is dropping yet, but using binos I can tell some of the white oaks are bearing. I don't think it's gonna be a bumper year, but if you find the right spot it's better.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
have not found a one, last 2 years were loaded, this year nuthin.
John 3:16

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
It seems hit or miss by me which I guess is god, easier to narrow down active feeding.  Funny, I cant see them in the trees but see some on the ground beneath the trees.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Sucks around here. Not to mentioned they made it legal to bait this year. Been in the woods for the last two days, and I don't have a clue where the deer are. The guys on the property next to ours have put feeders out. Not for sure how that affects things but it is not looking good so far.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Dropping good here at my place.....watched a  doe feeding 30 yards behind my rhinehart tonight..lol

It was funny to watch her.....an acorn would drop every few minutes....and she had to find the one that just rained down....instead of concentrating on all the others that were already on the ground.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Yeah the past two years we were loaded but nothing this year. Have talked to a few others around here also and they haven't found any.

I bet if I find a tree dropping it will be a no brainer place to set up.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
No white oak acorns or adequate apple crop. I have looking at all the white oaks I fertilized in the spring. We had a crazy amount of rain this summer. (Record highs)  Usually when we have a bad apple crop it is due to a late frost in May. I do not know if that would affect the acorn crop.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
My dads farm has nuts but thats about it. All my other spots are slim to none. Walked a couple miles the other day and nothing worth talking about.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
It's raining White Oak Acorns in my neck of the woods. The white oaks are just loaded. I don't know about the reds. The apples are loaded also. I saw 2 different bucks in the white oaks on 2 hunts.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Aint seen one acorn over here in the sand box haha.  But I will be home friday finally!  Hopefully I will find some while scouting when I get home.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
TJ,
Sounds like a late frost got your acorn blooms.... happened here a few years back when on April 22nd I think it was we had a 25 degree night !!! When I say no acorns, I mean NO acorns that year. We had to move all our stands and started hunted thickets with honesuckle and briars. Splashed 6 deer once we moved. Deer seemed as fat as ever, pretty amazing how adaptable they really are. We have also had some record drought conditions over the past 5 year cycle and even on our hottest driest year the acorns that year were unbelieveable ! A biologist told me that drought would actually stimulate acorn production due to nature trying to preserve the species.

This year has been totally opposite.... we have had record rainfall this year and acorn crop looks good. I think we are close to 60" of rain last time I checked !!! Good luck my friend, I am sure you will kill a KY giant, acorns or no acorns......  :notworthy:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Nothing in New Mexico drought killed the crop
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline HighTecRedNeck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Not so good in Central FL. I hunt out near Frostproof. The large tress are not dropping yet. The smaller scub oaks seem to have a few but not many.

Looks like there will be a lot of stalking for the piggies vs my tree stand this opening for me.
You either do or you don't, there is no try

All The Way !

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
TJ,
Sounds like a late frost got your acorn blooms.... happened here a few years back when on April 22nd I think it was we had a 25 degree night !!! When I say no acorns, I mean NO acorns that year. We had to move all our stands and started hunted thickets with honesuckle and briars. Splashed 6 deer once we moved. Deer seemed as fat as ever, pretty amazing how adaptable they really are. We have also had some record drought conditions over the past 5 year cycle and even on our hottest driest year the acorns that year were unbelieveable ! A biologist told me that drought would actually stimulate acorn production due to nature trying to preserve the species.

This year has been totally opposite.... we have had record rainfall this year and acorn crop looks good. I think we are close to 60" of rain last time I checked !!! Good luck my friend, I am sure you will kill a KY giant, acorns or no acorns......   :notworthy:  
Late Frost, very interesting NoCams. I will look into that to see when our last frost was. Not to many days pass where I can't learn something from this great site.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©