3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acorn Report  (Read 627 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acorn Report
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Loaded with reds. They dont eat them much around me til Thanksgiving.
Same here

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Im in the Elizabethtown area TJ. The white oak acorns are pretty much not out there. I have seen a few big trees with some on them but they were around residential areas. Looks like the red oaks are gonna produce ok this year.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
What I like to call a very good huntable crop in southern Middle TN.  Not every tree is loaded but most less than 25 year old white oaks have some acorns and a few trees are just loaded.  Makes for good hunting conditions where there is plenty of mast crop, however, it is spread out enough where game has to move a little to eat.  Begger lice rag weed and other forbs are excellent right now.  Other than just looking at an acorn on the ground, cut you a few open and check them for quality.  Lot of rot in many of the white oaks and swamp oaks.  Red oaks not falling much but what have fell early look to have good quality.

More eastward on the Plateau the Chestnut Oak mast is a bumper crop, but it doesn't matter because nothing will eat them unless it is the last thing left in the woods.  White oak crop is good where it hit and spotty in other areas.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
No acorns on my farm here in Kentucky either....hopefully i missed one and it starts dropping...definatly know where the deer will be for sure.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Adam,

Don't want to disagree with you but most of the deer we gut we always find some of those huge chestnut oak acorns in them. I realize they prefer the sweeter, lower tannin white oak but they do eat a fair amount of red acorns too. I have a giant chestnut oak in the yard and they started falling this week. You are correct sir about checking the acorns too..... they might look good until you cut a few open.....  :readit:  

And TJ...... speaking of learning from this site, yes learn something here everytime almost. Love me some Tradgang.....  :archer2:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Tom,

Got back from church this morning and hit the hills in search of a hot white oak, nothing. Walked 6 ridges out and found 2 big old red oaks that had dropped a few and nothing had touched them. Only found 1 old pile of deer poop also. Not good. never laid eyes on a single squirrel either. They left last year and basically didn't return.

Another strange thing is that I put some corn out in 3 different locations and its hardly been touched. Its got me stumped. I guess I am going to have to travel some to maybe find some hot trees.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I did about a 3 mile loop behind the house today and found one little spot where deer were feeding on acorns.

Deer sign is very slim in the woods. They are holed up in the standing corn behind my house and a pond in there.. no need to come out.

I did find two big white oaks where squirrels were cutting the acorns..real big ones..when they fall it will be good.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Spoke with my cousins husband yesterday evening and asked him if he had seen any loaded white oaks and he said he hadn't laid an eye on one. Said he see a few chestnut oaks that had some but that was it. Plenty of beech and Hickory though. He stays in the woods with his squirrel dogs so I figured he'd know if there were any around for sure.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
Yeah Jeff, the hickory's on my place are loaded also. No shortage of squirrels this year either.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RETARMY06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Where I hunt here in Georgia white oaks are bare - water and turkey oaks (always steady producers) are normal, turkey oaks really plump and ripe though and are about to drop. Post oaks (very rare around here) are loaded! Happens to be about a dozen in one very sandy, open area few people hunt. Not sharing this exact spot with anyone!   :D

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
TJ,

I work on a horse farm in Woodford County. There's a big White Oak right outside the office door that's loaded.  The yard deer are up there every day.

I keep telling the boss somebody needs to do something about this but his wife objects.  There's a little fork horn I see almost every day.

Hickories are loaded there too and Walnuts are hanging full. I haven't been able to hunt yet due to sickness in the office so I don't know how it is in my hunting spot but the office is crawling with deer.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Marvin, its time you take offensive action. Sneek in after dark and nip off the owners wifes flowers and then after about a week of that ask if you can hunt them.  Works every time!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Marvin, its time you take offensive action. Sneek in after dark and nip off the owners wifes flowers and then after about a week of that ask if you can hunt them.  Works every time!
:biglaugh:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
They have been falling for a while, and the deer are hammering them, thats where I was saturday, watching the deer comming out of some oaks, and almost got him.
Randy

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
TJ,

I hadn't thought of that.  Good idea.  

We had a doe hit in front of the farm this morning.  Ther's a spot I've been watching that is just over a rise and a part of the rock fence fell down making it a perfect crossing spot.  I always slow down when I come through there.  The other guy didn't.

Two really nice bucks and six does in the paddock behind the office this morning.  I'm going to have to find a new place to work.  This is killing me.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Marvin, if the nut tree's are raining them down. Take a bucket or two and scoop them up and place them in an already hot tree for an exciting hunt or two. I've been known to scoop them up at my daughters school. There are three huge white oak tree's there that pour them out most years.

PS. parks are a great place to harvest acorns as well....ummmmm I would think!    :goldtooth:
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
After loosing my last oak due to sandy last year I can say my neighbors oaks are screaming with acorns...Squirrels are having a feast day all day and nite...Now if they could only allow hunting on my end of long island...   :bigsmyl:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©