3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Block and Tackle Elk Gadget?  (Read 680 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Block and Tackle Elk Gadget?
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Whip got me thinking about his recent "Elk in a bind" dilemma. Have 800# on the ground, solo hunt and no way to move to your liking. Of coarse Whip handily did what every veteran bowhunter would have done,  REMOVE hot meat fast to cool, trophy cape is way down the priority list and Just another testimonial to his skill as a bowhunter. Could there have been a tool to help?

Now i was thinking........didnt Screaming Eagle use to sell a 3 pully allunimun block and tackle that uses para cord to handle 1000#?  the rig was extremely light....anybody remember?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Block and Tackle Elk Gadget?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Believe me, I have thought a lot about what I could have done differently.  And a block and tackle set up might have made all the difference.
I actually have the product that Chuck refers to.  Mine is an older version apparently, but I sure wish I had it along on the Utah trip.  I am leaving for CO on Friday for another adventure, and it is already packed in my bag.

The nice part of this set up is that as a ratchting pulley system you don't need three hands to pull the weight and then tie it off.  Pull as far as you can and it locks tight on the rope so you can get another grip on it and pull some more.  I really think this would have been a huge help in my case!

Here is my unit:

I weighed mine and it came in at 1# 8 oz.  I don't know if I will carry it as standard equipment in my day pack, especially if I am hunting with a partner.  But it will always at least be back in camp if needed in the future!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
found this out of OZ ....Hitchmaster.....

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
http://www.****.com/bhp/come-along-winch

why wouldn't something like a come along winch work? I do understand that it would be a little on the heavy side, but with its winching capabilities, it would be worth it(IMO).
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
http://www.****.com/bhp/come-along-winch

why wouldn't something like a come along winch work? I do understand that it would be a little on the heavy side, but with its winching capabilities, it would be worth it(IMO).
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I like the block and tackle, particularly since I'm an old guy and hunt elk solo. I probably should get one like in Whip's picture.

A come along would work, but I wouldn't drag one to the places I hunt elk; too much weight. Sure don't want to add that to a 90 pound hindquarter.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
A come along would certainly be the ticket, but like you mentioned, pretty heavy to be packing in to places elk often die.
Joey, that Hitchmaster looks interesting.  But seems like it would need a lot of rope to achieve much lift, and it seems like friction might decrease how much power gets transfered.  I'd sure like to see it in use.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Joe what is the weight limit on your ratchet.I have some in stock but are not very strong.Good enough to bind something down but not to lift an elk.Kip

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Thought same thing Whip,heck i got to go ahead and buy it    :goldtooth:    

Going to try it with para cord!!..if that doesnt work, i still can use it to lower that 304 hanging from my kids swing set and get my neighbors off my back.

we may have something

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Whip. .  ever use a rope (or paracord) like a (Spanish) windlass ?  Tie a loop from tree to rear leg of critter, put a stick inside loop, start twisting.

ChuckC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Kip, according to the website the limit on that unit is 450#.  I don't think I could use it to lift that much straight up by myself, but it sure would have gone a long ways to help roll the beast over.  I have used it to pretty easily lift a full grown field dressed whitetail buck with no trouble.

Chuck, no, I had never thought of that.  I had plenty of paracord - I wonder if that might have worked??

That first pulley system JB listed would probably be a good one.  I like the 1,000 limit and the 7/1   ratio.  Weighs about the same as the ratchet one that I have also.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Hey guys - you have some good options here but there may be better ones available.  I recall a discussion on the PBS boards about using the small, lightweight rock climbing gear to rig a block and tackle.  Petzl pulleys and such.  I can not remember the thread title but KD was explaining a pretty well thought out and light rig he had put together.  I have a small aluminum pulley and a caribiner that I can rig a lift assist using paracord.  Arborist tree gear and climbing gear are good places to look for the strong, light pulleys and 'biners.

Also, I have the Hitchmaster and it works pretty well the few times I've used it.  I have not tried it with paracord but the smaller set should be good for that I would think.  I just put the two smaller pieces from my set on a scale and they are 4.125 ounces without rope/cord.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Well, this thread got me to thinking, and since I am headed back for some elk seeking tomorrow, I headed down to the local sporting goods store and picked up an el cheapo hoist that I threw in my hunting pack. I figure that something is better than nothing, and if the cheapy does some good, then I can get a better one later on. I hope that i get a chance to find out in the next few days.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Pat,
 Hope you get to test out your new purchase. Good hunting.
Joe,
Off to Colorado,too? Good for you and good luck out there. I'll be out there next week also, so let's hope the rain is over for a while.
I'll be hunting with my son, so my "block and tackle" solution is a 26 year old with a strong back!

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
I read in a bear hunting book about making a tripod to raise the animal and it sounded like it would work.

Cut three poles and tie the three poles together on one end like a tepee and then tie animal leg or head to that. Lay poles on ground next to aniumal and then one at a time raise each pole as far as you can and work each one until the "tepee" is standing upright and animal off the ground.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
There use to be a gambrel set yhat was sold and it had a two pully hoist that came with it. It was painted orange.  Ii think it would be the ticket also.

Liking the hitchmaster more and more I look at it on youtube

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this one.  I've got a solo elk hunt in December and was thinking about throwing a small ratchet strap in my pack to help with manipulation.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Joebuck....come on all you need is you and Biggie and throw the paracord over a limb make a boatswains chair on the cord both yall sit in it real slow up goes the elk!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©