3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Block and Tackle Elk Gadget?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Block and Tackle Elk Gadget?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Thought same thing Whip,heck i got to go ahead and buy it     :goldtooth:    
Cool!  We've got ourselves a product tester!
I wonder how it will be modified?  We know that there hasn't been a product invented yet that can't be improved on   ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Dougie, i wish Biggie would go with me. All he wants to do is watch the Vols lose!

You know me too well Whip!  I am thinking 3 hitchmasters and hoist up a tree and hang like deer....dont they make a para cord on steroids?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
"dont they make a para cord on steroids?"

yes, its called Rope.

:wavey:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
I use what's called a rope ratchet to hang moose quarters, etc in the garage. It looks just like the pic Whip posted, except there is no metal pulley.

Probably no real mechanical advantage but is nice as when you stop pulling the "ratchet" locks the line in place, so you don't have to dog it off.

Cheap, $10 or so.  To use it I usually pull up the meat with one hand or bear hug it and raise it up, then take the slack up through the ratchet with the other hand.

Really hadn't considered packing it before, but it's very light and using one or more could help one person get an animal out of a tight spot.  Again, it really only helps when by yourself as its function is to save the difficulty of dogging a tight line off when by yourself.  

Probably not worth packing around for stuff caribou-size or smaller, unless you wanted to hang a smaller animal.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »
I used to sail, i would use this setup. total weight is 250grams or 1/2 lb. it gives you ratchet and 4x power. you could add another single block top and bottom and get 6x power.

top (tree) : use these two side by side:

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/product.asp?ProdNo=RF56100

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/product.asp?ProdNo=RF55101

bottom (animal) attach a gambrel to this:

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/product.asp?ProdNo=RF55501

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Heres what i found out ..

4 Types of paracord.

type 3 is rated 550#  this is most we use and see mostly

type 4 is rated 750#..it can be bought also. just amazon it

2 small Hitchmasters with 60'of Type 4 paracord...very light and powerful set i think.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I'm thinking you are on to something here.  Looking forward to the test results and if it works out I will sure follow suit with a set as a standard part of my day pack when hunting out west.  Wish I had been more prepared this year, but not too old to learn a new trick.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
You could also use carabiners tied together to replace the pulleys on a block and tackle.  Pretty light and useful for other things too.  The disadvantage is the more carabiners you use the more the friction increases, but a couple would increase your mechanical advantage enough to lift quite a bit.  If the para cord is too skinny to pull on just wrap it around a good stout stick and use the stick as a handle to pull on.

In my garage I use 1" webbing tie downs to lift and hold deer.  Insert the hooks in the back legs and work the animal up one side at a time.  When you lift one side the weight is transferred to the other side a bit and up it goes.

Somebody mentioned a tripod, I think the name for two poles is shear legs and its maybe the most efficient way to lift heavy stuff.  The third pole on the tripod would just be used to brace the shear legs until the unit got high enough to overcome the initial heavy part.

Interesting stuff but not necessary if you use the gutless method of butchering.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
That Hitchmaster is pretty slick.Check out this video:

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I have watched now a half dozen times, what the heck is he pulling together, two porch posts?? i keep waiting on him to pull his porch down!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I do use the gutless method Tracy, but in this case the bulls legs were wedged under his body and a big deadfall log.  Try as I might, and I tried mightily, I couldn't get him rolled over to remove the hind quarters properly.  I needed a whole lot more leverage than I was able to supply on my own.  The tripod method might work in some cases, but for me he died in such a tangled mess there wasn't much room to move.  I really could have used a chain saw!  

I've been looking at climbing gear and there are some cool looking lightweight pulleys sold for that purpose.  Add a carabiner or two and it could be a nice setup.  A little pricy, but top quality gear.
They also sell high quality rope. One 5mm rope (3/16") that I looked at has a recommended working limit of 500# and a tensile or breaking strength of 5,000#.  One of the paracord sites I found listed a breaking strength of 550# with a 150# load limit.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Just remember that climbing rope reportedly "stretches" a good bit under tension.

Guys in MT downed an elk in a bottom. Couldn't get to it close enough to use the winch...so one guy had a 100' of climbing rope, attached to winch cable and it reached... wrapped rope around bull and wound in ALL the winch...elk hadn't budged, but the 5/8" dia rope was now pencil thin and played a tune!   :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Theres two types of climbing ropes, one that stretches and one that doesn't. Don't know the difference in terminology but just saying. The one that stretches have obvious advantages on falls etc.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
Static and dynamic
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Yep, definately want static (low stretch) rope for this job.  Thge climbing gear places carry some good stuff, but it doesn't come cheap.  Waiting to see what joebuck comes up with.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
That HitchMaster deal looks like a great ticket. Carry the small set of 'pulleys' and some of that 3/16" rope and off you go.
Romans 8:28

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Here Is something I read about on how moose hunters use to get moose out of the water in the Yukon. This was done by themselves if I'm right. All you need is
rope and to have trees around. A little imaginations helps with my diagram. The longer the lever the easier it will be. It can be done the other way as well,with the wind up log running horizontal.
Love this thread because I've been there. Some great ideas here. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.
Abe

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Here Is something I read about on how moose hunters use to get moose out of the water in the Yukon. This was done by themselves if I'm right. All you need is
rope and to have trees around. A little imaginations helps with my diagram. The longer the lever the easier it will be. It can be done the other way as well,with the wind up log running horizontal.
Love this thread because I've been there. Some great ideas here. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.
Abe

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Or you could make camp and get out your knife and fork  :)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
OK heres my final research

2 Small Hitchmasters
50' of New England Tech 5mm rope!!!!!!!

rope is small( 1mm larger than paracord)5000# rated, NO stretch, poly coated to slide....its the total package...but .........oops  $1.10 a foot...so what ,it would be worth $100 afoot in a bind.

https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©