3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads Sailing  (Read 558 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads Sailing
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
I am having problems with my broadheads.  I feel like my problem is that my arrows aren't 'perfectly' spined for my bow.  

When i shoot my field tips, they fly great, even at long distances (40 yards), but when i shoot my muzzy 3 blade 125 grains, from 40 yards they are not consistent at all.  

My bow: R/d longbow i build 2 years ago.  Comes in right at #58 @ 29.  My arrows are Ted Nugent zebra striped 5575's cut to 30.5" with 100 grain brass inserts installed.  I have shot with as much as 275 up front and as little as 130.  Can't seem to get them to fly perfectly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads Sailing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
If the bow is not cut to center, I would say the arrows are to stiff. Make sure your draw length is actually 29. Not saying it's not, but some times drawlength is shorter than you think. Muzzy's on carbon usually fly real well.

Make sure your release is good. Form troubles really show up with broadheads.  Good luck.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
well, i actually think i draw past 29 because the arrows are 30.5 and my knuckle touched one of the broadheads today while shooting.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Probably the wrong spine/head weight...

When testing a new bow or new arrows, I always put about 2 bare shafts in with my fletched arrows.  Then I shoot different distances and use different weight heads.  That, for me, usually gets me close on spine.  Then I follow up with broadheads about a month before the hunting season.  

I hope that helps.  ...  Several other things you can do to tune as well.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Muzzys don't always fly well.  I've seen it a lot with wheel bows.  Typically it can be tuned but sometimes not.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
If you are using straight fletch with broadheads it will make the arrows plane.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
I am using a slight left helical.  I will say that it is not as much as i would like it to be but it is what i have.  

**Update**
Well i noticed that my shelf was not cut back to past center so i sanded some on it and got it much closer.  Now that arrows are hitting on the same plane diagonally, but the broadheads are hitting about 5" lower than the field tips.  

What it looks like to me is that for some reason the nocks are kicking up a little and the broadhead steers the shots low.  

Any suggestions?  I have kind of messed with the nock height, but i am no expert so i would like some suggestions.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
also when the arrows are in flight, i can hear them the whole way to the target, i'm assuming that means they are not flying perfectly straight.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
When you say they don't fly perfectly. .  what do you mean ?  How are they not perfect ?

What type and size fletch are you using ?

ChuckC

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »
I'd recommend going to this link:  http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
and learn as much as you can about tuning. Most of your questions will be answered. As far as noise goes, a broadhead with holes in the blades is going to be a lot noisier than a solid blade.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
I agree about studying that tuning information.Always remember to only change ONE thing at a time.With 100 gr inserts,you may have too much weight up front,depending on how the sight window is cut.A standard insert and then going through various point weights may help.There may be a nocking point height issue as well but only change ONE thing at a time.

You might ask Shawn Leonard for suggestions about point weight.Maybe he'll chime in.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Make sure your broadheads are on perfectly straight... stand the arrow on it's point and give it a spin. If you see ANY wobble where the shaft meets the broadhead fix it.

A poorly mounted broadhead won't fly well and will be noisier than otherwise. All the adjustment in the world of nocking point, etc. will do no good if the broadheads aren't on straight.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
When you say they don't fly perfectly. .  what do you mean ?  How are they not perfect ?

What type and size fletch are you using ?

ChuckC
I mean they are not hitting where my field points are.  They are about hitting 5" lower than my field points.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I am shooting 5" LW parabolic feathers on a slight left helical.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Shawn has helped me out tremendously so far as far as point weight, etc.  

I have shot the broadheads with 225 up front and also 275 up front.  From what Shawn says, these two weights should be spot on.  

As far as form and consistency goes, i am pretty consistent with my field tips.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
For what it is worth before I used an elevated rest and plunger I shot off the shelf. I could not shoot some broadheads at all. Some shot great. My guess is that you need to find the right broadhead.  I bet an original Wensel Woodsman would shoot just fine.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Bill brings up an excellent point. What head are you using. Woodsman is hard to beat for good arrow flight. What are you using?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Charlie I think he said Muzzy.
Usually if everything is good except hitting lower than field points I would be moving the nocking point down a little at a time to see if it is better or worse.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Some bhs just don't fly well.  Not that yours are bad, but some arrows/bows just don't play well with some bhs.  Have you tried any others?

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
I couldnt get muzzy's to fly good out of a mathews...much less a stickbow! Good luck! Dont be afraid to change!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©