3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: JD Berry Vixen,, and the story behind it.  (Read 658 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry Vixen,, and the story behind it.
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
I should of wrote this 2 weeks ago but I was so busy with work and getting ready for opening day I haven't had enough time to take pics.... First I want to thank James Berry because what had happened was after a long wait to get my morning star built the employer released some scary news about re-orgs and now like a slap in the face this wasn't a good time to buy a new bow and still stay married.  
I tried to sell my deposit here but after speaking with James about what I can do he said I can do anything I can move it back, wait a while and then ad it on, but after talking about bows and what weight I wanted James came up with another idea and put the phone down,,, he gets back to the phone and tells me a story about a vixen he built for himself for a Elk hunting trip that was canceled. a Vixen, 66" 56@28 I think bubinga riser, 1/2 and 1/2 stained tiger maple back and belly over bamboo limbs for a camo effect, FF, a dished grip I think was a tad bigger for his hand with black leather. he said the trip wasn't going to happen and if I wanted that bow he'd sell it as a used bow because he did shoot it a few times plus the grip was set up for him, he gave me a great deal and helped me out of a jam and I just couldn't pass it up and with hunting season starting in a week and me really wanting a hill style bow set-up with wood arrows for this season I quickly jumped at the bow.

so the bow arrives and I was like oh man what a beauty!! let me tell you guys the JD Berry Shooters here are right these bows are beautiful and they just feel great in the hand,,,I've owned Kramer hills, strunk hill styles, and Harrison HHA's and Maulding and this grip for my hand is perfect for my hand and will be the demo grip for any other hill style bows I have made its that good.    the woods and glue lines are perfect,,, he said this was just a bow he threw together for his trip but C'mon if this didn't take much thought then I can't imagine what woods he sets aside for custom ordered bows.  

so shooting this bow is a hoot!  this bow is very fast much faster than my Baraga I only draw 27" so it should be around 53# and shoots like a reflex/deflex and there is no hand shock! it really seems this bow for me is the most accurate Hill style bow that I shot so far without practice right from the box,,,,other bows I needed to spend time getting the grip right and matching arrows,, the 1st 6 arrows flew perfect and where all kills and this is after shooting a 64" old Baraga there was almost no transition from bow to bow except the Vixens grip just filled up my hand better and I didn't realize the Baraga shocked a bit until I shot them both side by side.  my longest shot in the fenced back yard is 26yards and I have 100% confidence on my shots at that distance, I hunted these past two days in Rhode Island with this bow and sorry to say I only got busted by a spike coming in from directly behind me but hopefully soon I'll have my 1st deer down of the year pic with the Vixen,

I've owned a lot of bows in the past and they all have their place, I won't dump on other folks bows with me its a personal thing but I am sold on the Berry Hill style bows there is just something cool about how they shoot. took some pics with the waterproof fishing camera and hope they look okay,, I forgot to take a full bow pic but soon laying over my deer I hope.

[IMG=http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6609/s9k4.jpg][/IMG]

"Us vs Them"

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: JD Berry Vixen,, and the story behind it.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
What a sweet looking JD Berry!I am glad things worked out. Good luck hunting!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Awesome looking bow man! Also, speaks volumes of James's character.

Enjoy shooting it!

Out of curiosity what is the centre cut on a Vixen?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
thanks guys,, I think its 1/8 past center the grip isn't too too fat or lets say not as fat as Strunk or Harrison but not as narrow as a hill.   Mudd might know more about specs on the vixen.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
great looking bow indeed.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Tajue,
Love the story of your bow.  And what you described about James is not surprising at all, he is one heck of a man and his bows have been known to steal your heart. My FIRST berry was a vixen and from the point on I was hooked.
Everything you said I'm sure I have went on and on about in previous threads as it is just the way they are. James has made the "perfect" American longbow and now all I'm doing is buying Berry after Berry so I have a supply built up for when he decides to hang up the tools
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
X's 2 what Brian said!!!

Now my thoughts.....

Hahaha!!!!

Mudd knows very little about the specs of any bow...lol

Those are what I call details...and I am not a detail oriented kind of guy but I do know what I like and how it shoots.

I am absolutely sold on Mr Berry's bows.

In the past when asked what my favorite bow was "Whatever bow I have in my hand at the moment." That all changed when the "Amazon Lady" showed up.

I put my hand to her and like all my other bows, she immediately took me onto the path to "Sherwood" then I shot her... as I have stated before "I never knew there were mountains in Sherwood." but I knew I was having a "mountain top" experience.

I have found my "Alpha" bow. The rest of my bows are excellent bows and I do not take a thing away from them but the "Amazon Lady" wears the crown at this point in time.

I believe my "alpha" may someday be relegated to second seat if the "North Star" built at 66" is anything near as wonderful as the "Bumblebee" bow that I test drove for Mr Berry.( now the property of one Jwhitetail)

I can not say enough good things about Mr Berry and character or his work.

Simply outstanding!!!

If you are thinking about getting one of his bows you'd do well to get it... the sooner, the better for you.

God bless,Mudd

PS: While I have never met Mr Berry face to face I am blessed to be able to call him my friend.

PSS: I have yet to mention my new "Morningstar". There are several reason why. Some reasons have just been beyond my control but the main reason is I haven't had a chance to put it up beside any of my other bows on the range, including the "Amazon Lady".
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
hey thanks to everyone,, and seriously I'm not trying to jump on the band wagon but I must give credit where credit is due,, besides what James did for me selling me his bow this bow speaks for itself and it is without a doubt my Hill favorite so far and a big part of that is I just picked it up and shot it and its almost like it doesn't matter how you grip it heel down or up even high wrist or even how its canted its always a decent kill and so easy to hit something and I say kill shot because I'm no target shooter so every arrow hit is based on was it a lethal hit, not what the line in the target says.

as for the hush puppy silencers, it didn't really need them but with the fast flight string I just wanted to soften it a bit and only had hush pups but the end result is it now sounds like a selfbow which has hardly no sound at all..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
James and I talked about are Blue Mountain elk hunt for weeks. Then one week before we were to leave for the Blue's my daughters mother was in the hospital in ICU. A course I had to be there for my daughter who is 19. James gave my daughter gas and parking money to run back and forth to the hospital, which was a big help to the both of us. My X is now out of ICU and in her own room. She is doing better and getting better every day. So now James and I sit there at the morning coffee table planing are Blue Mountain elk hunt which will be a year from now. A whole year from now, hmmmmmm we should have everything figured out by then, lol. We are even going to bring jwhitetail with us to pack out the meat, lol. Happy hunting everyone, and good luck.

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Well, sir, your story about Mr. Berry's generosity and your new bow says it all!  I won't elaborate much other than to say James is a heck of a guy.  He has helped a bunch of us out in different ways.  And that bow is spectacular!  The toasted maple and the pin stripes are beautiful and at 53lbs, she will slap hard.

Danny, I am glad things are getting better and I look forward to packing quarters up the mountain next year!  You are On!  

Thanks for posting Tajue17!
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Dan,
You cannot plan to go elk hunting then say JW gets to pack out meat but leave it there . I'm younger so ill volunteer to pack out. JW can watch TV and not have to worry about the packing.  LOL

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Not a bad idle, JW does like watching " Leave it to beaver"

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I had to come back to this thread again, great looking bow.... and im not a huge "straight" limbed fan, but this one just stands proud.

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Brian, seeing that you are young we sure could use you to bird dog the elk up out of those steep canyons, James and I will be waiting on the rim. Jerry will be waiting on the bottom with two backpacks one for him the other for you. lol and for all of your hard work I may give you and Jerry one pound of elk burger.

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I don't know Dan, 4 of us in camp? That a lot of work with the cooking,dishwashing and all that stuff, we are going to need a camp maid. Mudd want to go Elk hunting?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Wow Danny, one pound of elk burger. This is a deal I just can't pass up.  Haha

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Beautiful bow and story, Congrats.
Tom

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
Na... I think the way it should work is Danny calls elk in- I do the shooting- Brian hauls and James is just the camp wise guy (as usual).  Mr Mudd should come along for the fun.

But back to the thread- that bow is going to have some Berry Mojo. My hope is that it puts the big Blue Mountains hurt on a Mass. Buck!  Have fun.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I'd love to "hang" with you guys and I'm sure JD would approve but only because he wants a chance to win my "dollar" so he can make me sign it to hang on his trophy wall...lol

I keep telling him that it's "no great feat" to beat me at shooting, now out eating me.. well that's a different story...lol

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
Lol this was classic!
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©