3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is a falling arrow a deadly arrow?  (Read 453 times)

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Is a falling arrow a deadly arrow?
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
If you are shooting an arrow and it reaches its peak of the arc and starts to fall to its target...will this arrow have enough power to kill big game....I guess My question is this how far is too far to shoot...If you could shoot accurately at forty Yards with a 50# bow could your arrow have enough power to kill a deer...even though it has reached its arc and is sloping down? Thanks guys...It has been on my mind and just wanted to know.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is a falling arrow a deadly arrow?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
I'd say that arrow weight and the momentum a heavier arrow carries would be the key to penetrating lethally. Problem there is shooting a heavy arrow accurate at that distance. Not the kind of experiment that I like doing!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
I'd say as long as the arrow is moving it could seriously hurt or kill something.  Try simply dropping it point first (with a sharp broadhead of course) from maybe 4 feet onto a piece of roast and see if it penetrates at all.  Now toss it like a dart and see what it does.  "reaching its arc", is a different thing.  Gravity is pulling the arrow to the earth at all times.  

If you truly launch the arrow (or bullet) parallel to the earth, it will continue to "drop" the whole way until it hits the ground, no arc, just drop.  Meanwhile, the arrow is still going fast. .  fast enough to hurt or kill.  Even at 100 yards.
ChuckC

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
I went to the olympic range for hoots the other day.  Thought it would be fun to launch arrows from 80m out.  I shot my hunting bow with 650gn woodies.  It took me a while to get on target and in the process I hit the 6x6 support beam holding the target.  The field point was completely buried in the beam, that's about 1.5".  I'd say that bow/arrow is lethal beyond 80m if you can actually hit anything at that distance.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
In my life I've shot a couple of big game animals near 70 yards. I've also seen others hit at 100 yards plus (not by me).  In those cases the arrows have penetrated just fine.

While not quite the same I've killed several rockchucks (groundhog size)at 100 plus yards and penetration was as good as close range.

I sure don't want someone shooting a broadhead at me from those distances.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
In my life I've shot a couple of big game animals near 70 yards. I've also seen others hit at 100 yards plus (not by me).  In those cases the arrows have penetrated just fine.

While not quite the same I've killed several rockchucks (groundhog size)at 100 plus yards and penetration was as good as close range.
Dang Charlie! Teach me to shoot will ya?   :eek:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
When you read this remember that I started bowhunting way back in the old days.  My second bowkill was made with a 45# recurve at approximately 85 yds.  My arrow was dropping from the apex when it struck the deer, going completely through the chest and hanging up on the feathers.  So, yes, that dropping arrow with a razor sharp head is deadly!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
double posted somehow...
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
do ya get more tries at those ranges?   :laughing:    i suppose if you miss at 85 yds the deer wouldn't even know it had been shot at, would probably just think the arrow was some kinda weird acorn or something.  i imagine if i could unload a dozen arrows at a deer that far i would have pretty good odds of hitting him eventually.  not going to be trying that by the way.  i can't even see 30 yds where i hunt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
There are stories of Pearson and Hill and others shooting WAY out there, well over 100 yards, and killing animals.  That was back in the day of course.  Sharp arrows are lethal objects.  Never trust one.

Chuckc

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I'll start this out with this statement- "I read this, I  don't know it from experience" I read that if you shoot an arrow straight up and it reaches apex or apogee or whatever it's called and comes to a complete stop and falls back to earth that it won't have enough energy to penetrate much. I think we'd all agree though that a sharp broadhead would still cut the heck out of you regardless. The story also went on to say that if the arrow never comes to a stop and is always moving forward, that it is completely deadly at whatever range it reaches.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Very interesting post!  Thanks for sharing.  We can't all shoot as good as Charlie does, so i'll just keep my max shot at about 30 yards.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys that puts my mind to ease.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Please don't test the straight up shot unless you are 100% positive you can be out from under it when it comes down...it'll do it's damage if it hits you.(even a field tip)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
I miss the days when I could still SEE 85 yards let alone shoot that far!!!

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I'm not 100% sure on this but I think, even at 20yds, your arrow is falling by the time it gets to its target. Sooooo, YES, an arrow falling will kill animals.

Bisch

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Way back when my longest shot was 45 yards with a 50# recurve and yes it did kill and penetrate just fine.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by paoliguy:
I miss the days when I could still SEE 85 yards let alone shoot that far!!!
This had me cracking up!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
In short...YES

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
When an arrow hits a target/animal the point is pushed in by the shaft that is behind it.

If you shot a bullet straight up, when it came down if it hit you it would hurt/bruise. An arrow shot straight up, when it comes down it will penetrate you. I would say if it has a broad head it may kill you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©