3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching question...  (Read 359 times)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching question...
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
My neighbor shoots a compound bow and asked me to fletch some carbons for him.  No sweat I says...drop the stuff off at the house and I'll git er done this weekend.

He dropped of a half a doz. GT's, nocks, inserts and.......vanes.  I fletch my own carbons but I use RH feathers on my RH helical Jo-Jan multi fletcher.  The vanes he gave me to use are about 4 inches long.  I know diddly squat about vanes.  Can they be properly mounted using my RH helical clamp or does a guy need a straight clamp and install them on an offset rather than on a helix?
Otto

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching question...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
straight clamp, slight offset.

You could fletch one helical to see the look on his face.  :)
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks ncboman.  I figured that was the answer.

I might put a big ole pink flu flu on one and see what he says.
Otto

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
If you use a Bitzenberger, you can adjust the jig by dialing in a certain amount of helical with the 4" vanes. This will still give the compound shooter enough clearance for a TM Hunter or any other shoot through rest plus the slight helical will give better arrow rotation.
Also works extremely well with Whisker Bisquit.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Otto, they don't make RH or LH plastic vanes. you can fletch them straight, with a left twist or a right twist. makes no difference. they will bend to fit your jig just fine.

you might need to adjust the jig a little to get them to contact the shaft correctly but other than that they should be fine.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
well, I gotta believe the guy wants all his arras purdy much alike and I highly doubt he's got helical vanes on the arrows he shoots now... but I could be wrong.   :D  

I don't like vanes anyway but I do like to fletch with feathers.  :)
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
If you use tape, you can just lay the vanes out by "eye"...rarely use a jig anymore.

jack
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
If it were me I'd find out what he was shooting before and what type of rest he has.

If he is using a bisket it doesn't mater if the are helical but you need to put the cock on top. If he is shooting a prong it depends on his setup. The veins may need to be dead on lined up with the center of the shaft to prevent contact and cock down.

if he is shooting a drop zone, rip cord, or hog a slight offset will be desired.

If you install the knocks, assuming they are standard don't glue them in. He can make the adjustments as necessary for clearance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©