3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: removing a name from a bow.  (Read 336 times)

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
removing a name from a bow.
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I just bought a new to me Dale Dye. Gorgeous bow. It's not a huge deal, but is there a way to remove the old owner's name from the bow?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: removing a name from a bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Send it to Dale and he will replace the original owners name made for and put resurrected for and put your name.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
I would guess that the name is put on before the final coat of finish. I removed an owners name once with a green scotch bright pad. Gently at first so I could observe the results and get the feel and varying pressure as I went along. Once you see the characters start to fade away you'll know you are through the top coat and can let up. Finishes on bows are hard exterior grade and it takes awhile to get through, unless your going to use sand paper. Avoid sand paper

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Careful work with a circular saw or a die grinder will remove any name.

Just saying      :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    
ChuckC

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
I would try an oval sticker that will cover the name.It can be an animal,a writing,your name.I am sure you can make a google search and somebody will  custom make those.
From my cold,dead hands..

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:37:00 AM »
Call the maker and ask him what he recommends.  I would hate to see you ruin a finish.  He might even be able to supply you with a bit of finish for touch-up after you remove the name.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:12:00 AM »
Some come off better than others.  As mentioned, the writing is under the final coats of finish, so those need to come off before the name will.  Depending on the finish it may have yellowed some.  So taking off what is there and then redoing with new clear finish can sometimes leave a spot that looks a slightly different color.  That would be less noticeable on darker colored woods.

I have done it on some Dye's before, and it can be done, but is a bit tricky. His finish is hard and you will end up with a "dent" where you sanded it off. It is very easy to make it look worse than before you started.

Sandpaper is actually ok, but very fine grit.  You will need to reapply some sort of finish over the area.  Again, it can be done, but takes a little knowledge about finishes.  

If you want it to look perfect, your best bet is send it to Dale, or to someone else that does refinishing, like John at the Bow Hospital.  Or you could just accept the name as a part of the bows history.  The only one it really will bother is you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. I don't want to send it off...I just got it! I think I'll shoot it as is for now, rather than chance messing up the finish.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Don't do it.  That is part of the bow and part of it's hunting karma.  This is only my opinion but I always think about the what if scenario:  

What if the name on your bow is the next Fred Bear/Howard Hill, Ben Pearson etc?  What if it said Barry Wensel?  You never know and if you leave the name you share every hunt with the original owner who for what ever reason parted with their custom.  

Again, just my opinion but I would not do it.  If I get a used bow with a name I like to research it's history and attempt to track down the original owner - T-gang is a great place to start for that.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Or Doug Witcher? That one had to go...

crunch, don't let it distract you. If it becomes a great shooter for you, study it for a year or two. One day you'll get the nerve to tackle it and when you do it, it will be a piece of cake
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
I bought mine from a good friend with his name on it so I'll leave it on just to harass him when I beat him at 3-D. Just kidding Dave.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Too scary for me right now. I just want/need to shoot the thing a bunch:).

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Man this bow is quiet!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
It's my experience removing the name is much more noticeable than leaving it. I have many bows with other folks names. No worries. I have a great bow with the name removed. I see it every time pick this bow up. It bugs me.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm going to leave it for now...gorgeous bow. I'd hate to mess it up.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I'm with Bobby Urban, it's part of the bow, add your name if nothing else. There is some MOJO in the original name, that's the spirit that created that bow

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
I have lots of bows with the names of the original owners on them. I call them orphans. My bow rack is the orphanage.    :)

Good luck with your 'new' bow!
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
I just re-sold two bows that I've had for 5-10 years.  Both guys recognized their names and happily re-purchased them from me...good karma to leave the name intact  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©