3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New String problems..  (Read 383 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
New String problems..
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I recently had a string made by a friend and when i received the string i noticed that one half was twisted a lot more than the other.  Well i attempted to even out the twists, but what bottom of the string is where the twists always end up.  

My problem is that when i install my wool string silencers the bottom ones stay in place, but strands of the top one will fall out from time to time during a shot.  Is there a way for me to fix this string problem?  I have tried twisting the string up a lot and it doesn't seem to help because the top string twist just twist back down to the bottom.  

I also feel like this is affecting my tuning process because the top of the string now has 1/2 the amount of yarn it had when i made it. lol.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New String problems..
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Get a new string. Not worth the hassle IMO when you can buy a brand new, well made string from Braveheart Archery for $25 and have it tyd in 2 days.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
What you describe may be what is called "roping" if it is a flemish twist string.  After the first loop is completed you need to 'counter rotate' the bundles before you start the second loop or you will get half the string that won't twist together.  Happened to me the first couple of strings I made for myself so I recognize your symptoms.  Either have your buddy redo it or buy a commercial string OR learn how yourself - that's the route I took and now make all my own strings.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
What you describe may be what is called "roping" if it is a flemish twist string.  After the first loop is completed you need to 'counter rotate' the bundles before you start the second loop or you will get half the string that won't twist together.  Happened to me the first couple of strings I made for myself so I recognize your symptoms.  Either have your buddy redo it or buy a commercial string OR learn how yourself - that's the route I took and now make all my own strings.
X2   With a little trial and error it is easy and rewarding to make your own strings
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I too would like to learn to make my own strings. A higher priority for me, though, is working on my form and accuracy. I certainly would not waste my time working with what is a known sub-standard string.

I had a Bowyer supplied string fail and nearly lost a bow. One of the two string bundles broke right in the loop twist. The loop became so large, without my noticing it, that it popped off the nock on the 3rd or 4th shot. Scared the living daylights out of me, but the bow survived. Since then I've been using strings from recommended professional string makers and that's just one less thing I have to worry about. For the $20 - $28 involved, seems like cheap insurance to me.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
thank you for your input guys.. guess i'll just have to get a new string.. kind of disappointing.  I thought i had gotten 2 free strings, but instead i got two non usable strings. and with archery season starting in 11 days.. frustration.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Is b50 still a good string material to use?  I know it will be good to learn with seeing as the price is pretty cheap!

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
I understand the frustration. But this is an easy fix. and then after the season you can earn to make your own if you want. or even help your buddy work out the kinks in his strings so that he can continue making them for you.
As mentioned above roping is very common in the early stages of string making. The silver lining is you now know what to look for in a good string. This way if you buy more or make your own you can be sure its good before you go thru the troble of setting it up and tuning.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Polyester ("dacron")will work, but IMO there are much better materials on the market if your bow is made to accept them.

My current favorite is 8190.  Very durable, very low stretch, very low creep, very versitile--18-20 strands works for most bows.

If you have to stick with polyester, I'd go with B-55.

If I can help with the string making, just holler.

Chad

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Chads

strings are awesome!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
So is the string I currently have fixable?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
Absolutely, it is fixable.
Essentially you'll probably want to untwist the eye on the roping end and start over.
If he's willing to do it Chad may be able to walk you through the procedure over the phone. Best would be to have someone at your elbow but that's not always possible.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Do any of you guys have a "how to" on doing this? I did not see one on You Tube. I have never built a string so I don't exactly know how to do it. Lol.

Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to start building strings for myself.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
So whats the Diff between B-50 and B-55?
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
Also, if I wanted to start building strings, which jig would you recommend? If possible I would want to build it myself, I don't like the thought if buying something I could make.

What type of strings would you recommend learning on? (Flemish or continuous)

Thank you guys for all of your help.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
LBR,
   I tried to bring up your site and keep coming up with( cannot be found) ??
Denny

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
I suggest going to Chad's site and buying one of his videos. You'll learn everything you need to know regarding Flemish strings as well as endless strings.
I know "Doin The Twist" has Flemish string jig instructions, I'm not sure about the other video but you could ask him.  

http://www.recurves.com/dvds.html

Endless and Flemish strings are two different building techniques. Endless strings require a large jig whereas Flemish do not. You can measure out Flemish string strands by hand but a little jig does make it easier. I suggest learning to make Flemish.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
www.recurves.com  should work--it just worked for me.

B-55 is BCY (B-50 is Brownell).  B-55 is a bit stronger, with a little less stretch and creep, but it's still polyester and still safe for all bows.

It's not that hard to build either string.  I wouldn't attempt to build an endless without a jig.  A Flemish board is easy to make, but not required. The Jurassic endless jig will work, and isn't too expensive.  You can order just the uprights for the Yellowstone "Dream Machine" from BCY--supplying your own uni-strut will save you a lot just in shipping costs.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:

It's not that hard to build either string.    
Hah!
Tell that to the guys who post here with all kinds of problems.
Actually, Chad is right. Stringmaking is easy. It's the learning part that can be a real bugger bear in the beginning.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I looked up some 'how to's' on building a fletching jig.  From what i saw, I can build one string and be able to build both of the strings.  I will attempt the flemish first. My funds are pretty low right now so i'll just use the b-50 i already have to learn.  When i get good with what i have, then i will try to upgrade to a better string.

would it work for me to stick the silencers between the individual strands of the bundles instead of just between the two bundles?  I figured that would help keep them in there.  But didn't know if it would still silence as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©