3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how long can you leave bow strung?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline deertag

• Trad Bowhunter
how long can you leave bow strung?
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
how can you leave a recurve strung without damaging it?

is it ok to leave strung all weekend while hunting or should you unstring after each hunt over the course of the weekend.

also, can it be stored by laying it unstrung on a flat surface, either on its side or on its back?

thanks,david

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how long can you leave bow strung?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Depends on the bow. Home made self bows are probably better off being unstrung at the end of each day. Modern laminated bows can be left strung for a season with no damage. Keep the bows out of hot areas like cars and garages and you'll be fine. I store all of my bows in my basement year round, where its nice and cool. The ones I'm currently playing with usually stay strung.  If its an older bow with a little limb twist, it shouldnt be left strung.

You'll get dozens of different answers on this subject, so I'm telling you what works for me.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
My primary bow stays strung most of the year. Haven't had a problem with glass bows. I unstring all wood bows after the hunt or 3d shoot.

Some will argue about storage options. Mine are flat on a rack with no problems. My next rack may hang vertical though. The kids are getting older and less likley to mess with them.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Wallis Wetzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
This is a tough one.  For self-bows, or any all-wood bows, there is never any question - do not leave strung any longer than absolutely necessary.  For modern bows with fiberglass on back and belly, I am of the opinion that it isn't an issue.  Certainly, there are some bows that are under an extreme amount of tension when only braced, such as my '53 Bear static-tip Kodiak.  That bow has the straight limbs three inches forward of the handle when unbraced, and then it has the recurved tips added to it to boot!  There is a lot of tension on that bow when braced, so no way will I leave it strung too long.  My Samick Red Stag, on the other hand, has a deflex design, and the limbs are not under much tension when strung, and I have left it strung for years, and recent testing shows absolutely no loss of draw weight.  I would also say that modern-materials longbows that are of straight-limb design or very mild reflex/deflex are probably OK to leave strung, due to the limbs bending mostly throughout the entire limb, therefore not stressing any one area too much.  Long and short of it - weekend, no sweat, more than that, make your own decisions.
Great Northern Ghost: 68#@28"
Great Northern Traditional LB: 64#@28"
Northern Mist Baraga: 57#@28" (coming)
Big River longbow: 40#@24"
Japanese Yumi: 35#@36"

Offline Wallis Wetzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Oh, I forgot your other question: laying on their sides is better than laying on their backs, though, again, I think this is being nit-picky.  Shoot safe.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
My R/D longbow(Kanati) stays strung all the time as per the manufacturer's approval. My recurve and my kids' recurves all stay strung constantly as well. I hang all the bows horizontally by their string on two nails. My osage selfbow stays unstrung except when hunting/shooting with it.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Todays glass bows can be left strung with no ill affects.
I leave mine strung unless I decide not to shoot it for the next few months.
More limbs are damaged from mistakes in stringing and unstringing than any other cause that I know of.
I like to store them horizontally; supported by the string.
Ken Thornhill

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Modern bows leave them strung. Especially if shooting them often. Bows that I shoot regularly stay strung. Self bows, bows not being used regularly, and bows in storage all get unstrung   That's it.  All of my bows are hung vertically strung or unstrung and if in "storage" they are cased laying horizontally.   Modern glass bows can stay strung for years without issue.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
You all state "modern" bows are okay to keep strung.

I leave my 1964 Bear Grizzly strung most of the time but shoot it quite regularly. Is this a bad idea?
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Wallis Wetzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
When we say a 'modern' bow, we mean bows made with multiple layers of fiberglass, rather than an all-wood bow.  Wood will take a set, glass does not.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I believe that there is more likelihood of causing issues with a recurve by unstringing it and restringing it than there ever would be from leaving it strung...my takedowns, because of their nature, get that fairly often...my one piece bows are usually strung...best way to store a bow is hanging from a couple of pegs by the string...I often used the fence arms on my table saw in my cool basement...the biggest enemy of any bow is excessive heat

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
I have a Wes Wallace and he tells you in his instructions it's OK to leave strung. I also leave a Buffalo and two pairs of ILF BF Extremes strung. I do unstring them for transporting in a hot car. I don't leave 60s and 70s classics strung.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
My regular shooters stay strung till it is time to do some tweaking or maintenance-stay strung for years-decade even.   :archer2:

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I called Norm Johnson (Blacktail Bows) on that very question several years ago.
He told me more bows are damaged from stringing & unstringing than leaving them strung. Norm said if the bow is being shot several times a week leaving them strung is fine.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Black Widow recommends leaving them strung.  Mine stays strung unless I am not using it for several months.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
If leaving them strung.....do you then hang by the string or wood when on rack, hook...????
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I leave mine strung & I hang it on a peg between the string & limb.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
All I have are modern laminated bows.  I leave my main bow strung all the time and it hangs vertically from the main beam of a european mount.  Any bow I'm not shooting regularly I unstring and they hang horizontally across other euro mounts or in socks on a shelf.

I think the one thing you   shouldn't do is stand it in a corner on one limb, strung or unstrung...    :nono:

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I don't like to leave a bow strung, it goes against my grain.  I do push this a bit with my glassed bows, but even then, the warranty card on my Hills warn against leaving them strung for long periods, whatever that is.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
So, I have a 64ish 53# Red Wing Hunter that is shot almost every day this time of year, a '69 70# Super Kodiak that I rarely shoot, maybe once a month, and a '70s 35# Black Bear that used to never get shot but my son is starting to shoot occasionally now.  I currently unstrung them every time I shoot.  Would you guys put these in the "leave strung" group?
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©