3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill bow shooters...answer me this....  (Read 587 times)

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill bow shooters...answer me this....
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
As I am learning to shoot my new to me NM Shelton, I struggle with what is the proper or correct hand placement on my grip(up high next to shelf, down a little for feather clearance, thumb pressure or just a loose grip,,etc)...Can you tell or better yet show me what you do or how you grip your hill bow?  I am used to my R/D longbows with a more locator grip...so I am struggling a little with consistence grip...
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill bow shooters...answer me this....
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
blm,

Check out this thread and the pictures I posted there.  This grip works well for me and many others for ALL grip styles.  I shoot Hill bows almost exclusively.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005763#000000

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I like to feel pressure on the heel [low part] of my palm. Should start to feel it as soon as you put some tension on the string......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
I like a firm grip on my Big 5 and my hand is close to the shelf. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
I like to feel pressure on the heel [low part] of my palm. Should start to feel it as soon as you put some tension on the string......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
I shoot almost identical to moebows explanation. Also very similar to Byron Fergusons teachings
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Hold it like you would a girls hand that you like a lot.

You don't want to hurt her hand and yet you don't want her to get away...lol

I've also read the it's much like picking up a suitcase.

I just hold mine firm with more attention to the bottom two fingers than the upper two.

That's just what works for me.

I think it might be more helpful to check out the thread moebow posted for you.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Find the lifeline on your palm, let the edge of the grip ride in there and place pressure with lower palm.  You'll know when it's right cause you'll start getting good repeatable shots and it'll feel right.  A deep wedge grip helps a lot.  I had/have the same problem bow lover with the standard straight oval grips.  It just takes practice pretty soon you'll be right on.  I suggest shoot only the Hill for a week or two to get more used to it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
As Mudd states with his preference to attention to using the bottom two fingers, I am the polar opposite and hardly use my ring or pinky fingers at all.  The point was, we are all different and you do it long enough and you'll find what works or ya
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Keep the info coming, I am doing like you said Chuck but it feels different than with my other bows...Hopefully it will settle in...

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
NW9 has got it! Lay the grip down the lifeline of your hand close enough to the shelf that the "meat part" between thumb and index runs just up under it when there's pressure on the string. You do 'grip it' in that the fingers are wrapped round (unlike the cradling of a recurve). The bone between your second and third knuckles out on all fingers should line up down the back of the grip flush to the target (if that makes sense).

Grip strength will just settle in to what you need after a couple hundred shots - but you shouldn't be squeezing the sap outta the thing....

Enjoy your new bow!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
I'm kinda like Chuck NW9, run the lifeline down the spine of the grip. I use a good bit of heel pressure, it really helped my consistency a lot. For me, it doesn't feel right until I put tension on the string and put heel pressure on it.

As Mudd says, its like picking up a suitcase, that is true for me too until I tension the string and put the heel pressure on it.

I don't do anything with my fingers, no pressure other than keep the bow from flying out of my hand, which does happen, I've grabbed it out of mid-air a few times too, looked up and the arrow went right where its supposed to...or as close as it normally does.

I wont tell you to bend your bow arm cuz everyone says "how much", just don't lock your arm straight. The heel pressure will keep you from getting your arm too straight.

Good luck and be patient, finding YOUR grip is probably the hardest part of shooting these bows. Everyone does it basically the same, but we are all different in little ways.

Eric

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Got a pic???

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Appears to me you are describing exactly one of the benefits of straight limbed longbows. That is, the ease of which you can grab the grip w/o setting into a saddle such as with pistol grip. Your reference is the squared arrow across the rest. As long as you can draw unencumbered, your squared reference will always be the same. That allows you to easily grip the bow anywhere. Naturally, if you grip it wrong, the stress will quickly tell on you. Otherwise, draw & shoot. IMHO, you do not need to find an EXACT grip position each time. But you definitely WILL find something very comfortable & forgiving you can rely on each shot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Straight deep grip

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
It takes some time to get it. Took me a while. I can now go from recurved high wrist to the Hill low wrist fairly easily.

If the NM doesn't work out shoot me a PM  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Thanks Bud, I think this one has found a forever home

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »

Directly from Howard Hill on his description of the proper grip:

"you will note your thumb joint will be directly out from the center of the belly of the bow (See Illustrations)." - Howard Hill

Every illustration and existing photograph I've seen shows Howard Hill using the exact same grip as he describes above. This is taught by Wesley, is the way you'd naturally grip a suitcase, and is the way you'd naturally grip a pistol. This aligns your wrist and maximizes natural bone support. Hill was very specific to note the "thumb joint" and not the knuckle.

Howard had it figured out extremely well.  Grab a straight handle Hill bow exactly as Howard described with the bow hanging from your side(pic). Experiment with the following:

First, Loosen the fingers in your grip and you will notice that the tip of the lower limb, pointed to the rear, will lower to the ground so that the bow is no longer parallel to the ground. With loose fingers, you will maintain good contact with the thumb and index finger around the top of the straight grip, but the lower part of the grip will pull away from the heel of your hand because the bow's center (balance point) is lower on the grip. Now, tighten the grip with your lower fingers and notice how the bow handle pulls up into the heel of your grip and the bow is now balanced and horizontal to the ground. Getting the bow into the heel of the hand is important as this centers your grip within the balance point of the bow. I'm of the opinion that some of the handshock felt and complained about is actually user enhanced (induced) as a result of NOT getting the heel down when shooting the straight grip. Without getting the heel down, you are choking your grip up above center causing the limbs to return out of time. This will greatly increase vibration felt throughout the grip.

The above Hill teachings aligns the bones of the wrist making for a solid bow hand directly behind the bows center.

There is an old target trick for shooting lighter Hill bows where you shoot the bow more like a locator grip by choking the bow with your thumb and top fingers while tucking your bottom finger(s) between the bow handle and your grip to fill the void. This works as you are using your bottom finger(s) to artificially create a locator grip and you are keeping pressure on the handle at the heel of your hand. But in my opinion, this is a poor technique to use for hunting.

If I may pass on some added advice, it is very important that you keep your bow shoulder down and back to prevent long term shoulder injuries.  If you pay attention, you'll notice posted pics and videos of archers who demonstrate techniques that highlight Hill form, with the exception, the bow is of such weight that the shoulder is forced up and is compressed while at full draw, or the shoulder is not down and back into the socket as a means to increase draw length.  Such technique is proven to place an archer on the fast track towards impingement and long term injuries.  Keep your bow shoulder down and back or you may very well reduce the number of years that you can shoot a bow if you live to get old.

Best  :)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
I grip just like Bud's pics but I use the top edge of my grip material under my thumb to get consistant hand placement.  It also puts my index finger right up under the shelf.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Squeeze too hard in the wrong spot and the bow wont do what is natural to it! Let it come back into your hand as you draw then just get a hold of it...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©