3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beman 500 mfx too stiff or too weak?  (Read 549 times)

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
beman 500 mfx too stiff or too weak?
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Good Morning Trad friends,
Need a little advice. I recently picked up a Black Widow SAX, 46# @ 28, 56”. The arrow I want to use is a beman MFX 500 w/ 75 gr. Brass insert and a 125 grain point. The shafts are cut to 30” from groove of the nock to the end of the carbon. They also have 5” feathers and a wrap. Does this setup look to be weak for the bow? I m using Stu millers spine calculator and it says that the arrow is a little weak. The reason im asking is that several shots out of the bow will minnow a little here and there.  I have the brace height set to 8- 1/2” right now. Black widow recommends 8-1/4” to 9”. I don’t want to cut my arrows or do anything else really until I have several opinions.
Don't rush! Impatience will kill your greatest potential. Walter M. Smith

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax
48# Bear Grizzly (late 70's)

Offline surething

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: beman 500 mfx too stiff or too weak?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
You did'int mention how long your draw is, if you are drawing a true 28 try a lighter tip weight, I believe your a little weak, if that works out then you can cut your arrows down very little at a time, and stay with your same weight that your are shooting now, hope this helps.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Do you draw 28"?
While tuning I double check by going with a heavier/lighter point before I cut anything off the arrow.
You could also build up your side plate if you don't have other points.
If I had to guess I'd say you're ballpark in spine, maybe a bit stiff depending upon the cut of the shelf.
Stu's calc works for some people, I'm not one of them.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Im drawing 27.5-28". I know im close. Im told BW cuts the shelves 3/16" past center.

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm thinking with that kind of centre cut that your could shoot a very wide range of spine out of it. Likely that what you've got will work fine.

Do your broadheads group with your field points? Is the arrow flight good? If so, your good to hunt!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Arrow flight is hit or miss. Im getting a slight minnowing effect sometimes when I release. Other times the flight seems fine. The bow is grouping ok. Im sure it will be better if I can get the flight issue worked out. It could be that im just not used to shooting a recurve. I mostly shoot longbows, Or it could be that im just a lousy shot....:/

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Play with the point weight, it's an easy and cheap way to check the tuning.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Try a 100g point and see what it does, then play a little more with brace.  Your string strand count if FF will also affect it so you could always go up a couple strands on the string but I'd try point weight first.  I love the MFXs and use the 500's on a lot of my bows.  I always break off the extra on the insert and go 50g on it just to give me more point weight options.  Good luck.  Sounds like you're close.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Why would they stop making such a great arrow?

Offline DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Did you by chance try a bare shaft?

Offline pap62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
My Widow is 45@28 I draw 27.
After bare shaft testing the 500 Beemans I had to cut them to 28 inches using a brass insert and 125 grain tip. Using the aluminum insert I need a 145 grain tip.
For hunting I used a Brian Heavy Hitter at 29 inches and a 175 grain head=640 grains.
Black Widow PTF
Cari-bow Wolverine
Bob Lee Sign. Elite (grandsons)
Abbott LB  (grandsons)

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I don't have a Widow but my bow is 47 @ 28, I draw 27", my riser is cut past center. I use the MFX 500 cut to 29 with the 75gr brass inserts and a 145gr head shooting off the shelf with a piece of self adhesive padding to get the arrow off the shelf about 1/4", I use a  piece of moleskin for a sideplate. No arrow flight issues unless I do something funky on the release. I would think you would be able to get those to shoot fine out of your bow.

Rodney

Offline DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Can you update us on your tuning situation?

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Paper tuning look at ( tuning for tens  )   :confused:
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
Try an elevated or feather rest.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Smith:
Arrow flight is hit or miss. Im getting a slight minnowing effect sometimes when I release. Other times the flight seems fine. The bow is grouping ok. Im sure it will be better if I can get the flight issue worked out. It could be that im just not used to shooting a recurve. I mostly shoot longbows, Or it could be that im just a lousy shot....:/
If it is sometimes, it is you that is the variable not the bow or the arrow. Work on your release, and make sure all nocks fit the string with the same  tightness. As said earlier  test diferent point weights , it is cheap and reversible, unlike cutting the arrow.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips fellas. Havent been able to mess with it in the past few days. I have a  daughter with special needs that is taking horse riding lessons and that is taking up some some evening time during the week. Im hoping to get back at it this weekend. I want to get this bow tuned and out in the woods.

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete W:

Originally posted by David Smith:
If it is sometimes, it is you that is the variable not the bow or the arrow. Work on your release, and make sure all nocks fit the string with the same  tightness. As said earlier  test diferent point weights , it is cheap and reversible, unlike cutting the arrow.
 Pete [/b]
I've ebeen working on my release quite a bit. the funny thing is, is I can take some gold tip 3355's with a 100 brass insert and a 145 gr. head and shoot those perfectly out of this bow. These are designated for my 45# bear grizzly though. I could just shoot these but i really like the mfx 500's.

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Sounds like you could be torquing the string a bit. Longbows tend to be more forgiving of such foibles, but recurves often object. I agree with PeteW on this. If you are getting good flight sometimes, it is hard to blame the setup.

For me, I find myself drawing with the bow canted more than my string hand is at times, which can lead to the wig-wag effect. I try to concentrate on turning my string hand more clockwise (I'm a righty) and the arrow flight straightens out.

I would still recommend paper tuning. I find that to be the most accurate way to tune my setup. Bare shaft tuning is a waste of time for me. I want to tune arrows the way I plan to shoot them, so I paper tune. That's just me though because I'm old and stubborn, I guess.    :dunno:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Sounds like you could be torquing the string a bit. Longbows tend to be more forgiving of such foibles, but recurves often object. I agree with PeteW on this. If you are getting good flight sometimes, it is hard to blame the setup.

For me, I find myself drawing with the bow canted more than my string hand is at times, which can lead to the wig-wag effect. I try to concentrate on turning my string hand more clockwise (I'm a righty) and the arrow flight straightens out.

I would still recommend paper tuning. I find that to be the most accurate way to tune my setup. Bare shaft tuning is a waste of time for me. I want to tune arrows the way I plan to shoot them, so I paper tune. That's just me though because I'm old and stubborn, I guess.     :dunno:  
That's a great point! I cant my bows whether they are a long bow or recurve. Ill be sure to look in to this when I get back to tuning. I may not be keeping my draw hand in line with the string on occasion. that might explain the callouses on my ring finger.... ya think?

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©