3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus stingers...  (Read 2562 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Magnus stingers...
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
:deadhorse:  Please share your magnus stinger kills. Please specify if two blade or four blade. This is my first year using them. Thanks -Tristan
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus stingers...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
I'll be using them this year too. I hope I have a picture to post this year! I bought a Gatco sharpening kit with a ceramic finishing stone. I toughed them up and they are shaving sharp now!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »

2 blade, 125 grain Stinger

4 blade 125 grain

4 blade 150 grain Stinger (now my go-to BH).

Other hogs and javelina using them. I like them all EXCEPT the 150 grain two blade. The ferrule is way to stumpy and looks like it would impede penetration.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I'm right there with ya Dennis, are you using two or four blade? Thanks Norbert! That is an awesome bull elk. Any noticeable difference in penetration/blood between the two and four blade?
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I've killed 7 or 8 whitetails with both 2&4 blades and had pass-throughs on all except a doe when the 2 blade hit and broke the far shoulder blade.Only shoot 4 blades now,though,as I tend to get better blood trails from them.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
A few of mine

125 gr 2 blade

Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Jeff what poundage bow are you shooting? Mike that zebra is impressive!
>>>----------------->

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
These were all 4 blade if I remember correctly...from a 43@29 Toelke Whip

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Tristan,

I couldn't decide between two or four blade, so I bought both and as shooting both. I love seeing all these great game photos though! Congrats to all!

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »

150 gr 4 blade, shot at 7 yards. Sliced the heart all the way from top to bottom, these are great heads!!!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »

In short I think they are great heads. Most all of these were four blades. One elk with a two blade and one pronghorn with a four blade buzzcut.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Tristan,50@28 recurves.That's about my draw length.
Some great animals fellas,keep 'em coming!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Wow, these are all great photos! Thanks guys. I love seeing all the kill photos, keep em' coming!
>>>----------------->

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Used them the last three seasons with wheels before making the switch to trad. Loved them then, and finally found a set up that works for them now. Be using them this season for sure!  Congrats to everyone, and keep those awesome pics coming.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
I have killed a few animals with stingers, I used a 125 grain 2 blade on my spike elk this year. The broadhead fractured a rib length wise going in and buried into the offside rib for a double lung shot.

I used a 150 grain 4 blade buzzcut for this buck a couple years ago. They are awesome broadheads. I shanked the shot on this mule deer buck and hit him just under the eye, the broadhead penetrated into his spine. The broadhead didn't show any damage and was still shaving sharp.

Shoot Straight

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
Here is my one and only trad kill, I should of had an elk two weeks ago, but I failed to line up the shot, either that or I pulled it. I used a 125gr 4blade buzzcut.

I had great impact splatter, but had a very sparse bloodtrail, but as it was in the snow, it was really easy to follow, the doe made it a couple of hundred yards, but I think that had a lot to do with the terrain and the lack of a hiding spot to layup in. I truly believe that the sparse blood trail had to do with the thick layer of fat she was sporting all around her trunk. I hit her high in the crease on the right and exited aft on the bottom off side due to her turning and ducking into the shot. Really couldn't of asked for better shot placement.
Just for reference, the shaft is a full length 32" and it penetrated way into frozen ground.  
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I hit a doe with a very poor placed shot a few years ago (sounds weird since I'm 20) with a stinger and she left a blood trail anyone could follow. November 2011 I somehow managed to graze a 145" 9pt at 15 yards (he skylined me in a tree, ducked at the shot, turned uphill, then back down hill) i believe the only thing i did was cut hide. I did kill an 8pt with a magnus stinger October of 2010 (can't post picture, wheelie kill) and it blew through him so fast that he took a couple steps and just laid down underneath my treestand. They are a great broadhead and I'll have them riding the front of my arrows for years to come.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I hit a doe with a very poor placed shot a few years ago (sounds weird since I'm 20) with a stinger and she left a blood trail anyone could follow. November 2011 I somehow managed to graze a 145" 9pt at 15 yards (he skylined me in a tree, ducked at the shot, turned uphill, then back down hill) i believe the only thing i did was cut hide. I did kill an 8pt with a magnus stinger October of 2010 (can't post picture, wheelie kill) and it blew through him so fast that he took a couple steps and just laid down underneath my treestand. They are a great broadhead and I'll have them riding the front of my arrows for years to come.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
I shot the 2 blade stingers for a while, Now I use 3 blades (Woodsman, NAP Hellrazor, G5 Montec)as I was less than impressed with the blood sign the magnus left. I have a few 4 blade Buzz cuts, maybe I'll give them a day in court and see what for
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©