3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: old school open carry...  (Read 648 times)

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
old school open carry...
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
part of traditional archery for me has always been making my own gear...be that bows, arrows, quivers or even knives...plus respecting our roots...realizing that they go pretty far back...

My Dad in the 50's and 60's drove that home to me ...I grew up in this all watching him shoot his lemonwood longbow...until he snapped it...then he went to Fred Bear gear...(I think that was about 1960-61??)

there are so many others out there that are inspirations for this time we are in now...I just wanted to share this with you folks...maybe you will grind something out this weekend too!

here is a knife I love to just have around...I think after watching western theme movies all my life and living where they were made must have a part of it..."Jermiah Johnson", "Little Big Man", "Dances with Wolves" & "Legends of the Fall"...and more recently "Windtalkers"I have always had a great respect and admiration for Native American values and gear too...and for me I enjoy carrying and using gear like this myself...rumor has it we have Native blood running through our veins...on my Fathers Mothers side...the Canadian connection     ;)     ...

here is one of my recent projects...I hope you like it...I cant wait to bone out an Elk with it...

this is an old mule deer shed that had an incredible base on it...the blade is an old 440 stainless kitchen knife I reshaped and ground to a style I like...its a great boning knife...or as the name of the thread implies a replica of a knife carried in older times...

the sheath is some Buffalo hide I have...the fringes arent only for looks...back in the day they were put on garments and related items to drain away water...and they do really work.In a time before gore tex , ABS plastic  and similar...

I played around with a small file & dremel and carved in my logo...

this project cost a whopping 1 dollar to make...thats in the stainless steel pin and epoxy...

it file sharpens super...and is a crowd pleaser when it comes to the camp fire etc!the exposed blade measures 6 & 1/4"...
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: old school open carry...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Nice   :clapper:  

bretto

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Great work, you have a lot of talent.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Great job!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Looks great!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Very nice. Hap

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Like the look of oyour creation alot.  :thumbsup:

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Nice work.

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
That's awesome!  :archer:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
That's a great looking knife!  It looks like it's ready to go to work!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm likin it......ALOT!!

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
:clapper:  
May have to "Steel" your design!
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
I really enjoy your posts, Ted. We share a love of the same movies. Good info on the use of fringe past the neatness of the look.
There is a lot we traditionalists can learn and use from our First Nations Brothers and Sisters. Thanks for some inspiration to try something  myself.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
the whole idea is to hopefully show some out there how really easy and inexpensive some simple projects can come together...

to be honest with you I think these simple artifacts and replicas made can be some of your most prized possesions. Simplicity and function, these are the most important values I have gotten from Native culture.

My closest hunting partner is Apache...and he invited me to some "Pow Wows" years ago...I have never looked at my the gear since then, after seeing the beauty and down to earth aspect of the way they approached something that I truly love too.

he would jokingly refer to a blade like this as a "scalp taker"...LOL...but an essential tool every hunter needs...now whenever I see a piece of leather, or a shed I start dreaming up a new project I saw at a Pow Wow...

a good reason to not throw out any more of those deer or elk hides...they are so easy to tan for this ...and an old kitchen knife?? they are everywhere...

somehow not needing all the fancy stuff out there nowadays is a real relief...and for me is just a part of my love for archery and bowhunting too.
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
I really enjoy your posts, Ted. We share a love of the same movies. Good info on the use of fringe past the neatness of the look.
There is a lot we traditionalists can learn and use from our First Nations Brothers and Sisters. Thanks for some inspiration to try something  myself.
I agree
Ted you do a great job of telling the story.
Much like people from the First Nations.
I find a lot to learn in most of your posts and share a lot of your thoughts and values.
I look forward to more!
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Nice job!   :clapper:
James Kerr

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
actually the whole idea behind this is of course to share stuff...but more so to let others out there that it isnt really all that hard to dive in and make your own stuff too...

maybe there will be a few "flubbs"...that is only normal...however if you keep it simple you might really surprise yourself...

the story...I am glad it speaks to others too...so much of the world we live in is so based on all the stuff you can buy to make you supposedly enjoy your pursuits more...

all I can say is this...one of the  best times afield with a recurve in my hands was back in the 70's...I remember sharpening my heads next to where I parked to hunt back then...looking forward to even seeing deer...this was before my first baker tree stand...so it was allabout still hunting...and killing a doe with my bow was such an incredible experience...

this was with an Army shirt and some bird hunting pants on...an old Kravotta Brothers bow about 45#...and some Fred Bear arrows with "razorheads " on them...

the more I advance...the more I return to that time...I just hope this message gets to those that are new to this...and that they respect the values and rewards to do things "Old School"...

after following this forum a bit I know there are others with that same spirit...and that is awesome...I look forward to seeing what they come up with...
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
I just wish all the new comers to traditional archery get a feel for the past of this sport...and try out making some of their own gear and even go to some wood arrows...

I see all the ads out there for all the cross over stuff...carbon arrows that look like wood...adapters to use the high tech heads...

hey its all good...but I just hope that folks that never have will try stitching up a quiver or sheath...and even make up a dozen of their own arrows to celebrate the tradition...t
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Keep up the gooddwork your a talented individual!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
Way cool Ted. Like the way you think making your own & encouraging respect. Good job. Nice knife!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©