3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arizona Cottontails In Pinal - Maricopa County  (Read 188 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
Arizona Cottontails In Pinal - Maricopa County
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
I was just down around Casa Grande Arizona which is 30 miles SSE of Pheonix and saw a ton of very large rabbits running around.  One specific day I was flying my hang glider and came in to land in one particular scrub brush area and at about 100' I saw all this activity scurrying around on the ground.  Turns out it was a ton of cottontails.  This was my 4th year in a row to this area and I had never seen this much activity.  

Any of you guys hunt in Pinal or Maricopa County for these rabbits?  They were so plentiful it made me want to take a special trip back out just for them.  We don't have anything like that here in Chattanooga where I live.  There were so many that I just knew I could have a great time with them. Several were a really large and FAST!

I looked online tonight for the regs but it was a little hard to figure out the season.  

Any other states have an abundance of large rabbits one could sling carbon at?

Cheers,
James

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arizona Cottontails In Pinal - Maricopa County
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Probably Jack Rabbits
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
I'm guessing you were seeing jack rabbits rather than cottontails. As an old fart, I will be snowbirding in Pinal Co. in January, but I don't hunt rabbits there as the non resident hunting license is kind of spendy. I just roam the desert and stump shoot, which is still a lot of fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Very large, long legged rabbits are jackrabbits.  There are cottontails in az, though.  I spent a few years there and nonres small game tags were around $100 for the season, including migratory birds.  Weekend tags were available.  The prices could be higher now, but $100 seems pretty reasonable to me.

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
We don't hunt them until it gets cold. Couple of freezes takes care of the "liver bug". Those Jack rabbits are pretty tough critters. Smart as a Whitetail and fast as a speedy goat(Antelope). I don't eat Jacks, too tough,like leather.  You can hunt them here in AZ year round but better wait unitl it gets good and cold. We had our 1st freeze last night. Bunny season soon!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©