3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: old Bingham projects ...circa 1990-94  (Read 185 times)

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
old Bingham projects ...circa 1990-94
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
I am curious here...and I think this forum is probably the best place to ask this...

I used to supply Bingham back in the early 90's with lams for recurves and longbows...Im not sure, but I think when Gary Peterson and Elmont Jr started getting them from me we were the first to commercially make them available to DIY folks...that is lams made from Zebrawood, Osage, Red Elm (edge grain & flat)and even Black Walnut...

master Crafters was pretty much where you bought lams back then if you wanted to make your own bows...and they were "action wood" ...glued up maple or birch...some dyed contrasting colors...

up until then the only way was to get R. Elm etc  from a small Bowyer...and they were actually pretty scarce...Appalachian Archery and Robertson come to mind among others...I know for sure others used them I just dont think they sold them...

I think I ground up enough lams to make at least a hundred or so bows??

I used to harvest , saw and dry the Osage & Black Walnut myself...My Son used to drag logs home to the shop with our old tractor...He actually killed his First Deer with a bow he dragged the log in and I made him up a one piece recurve forom that wood!

I also used Black Locust, but kept that wood for my own custom business...

I would just love to see some pics long bows and recurves from those lams back then... specifacally from 92-94 or so...after that I discontinued making lams...and Bingham got their own shop doing things...

watching my home made drum sander got old...and I started up my old stone masonry business again...

I still make my own stuff...but hope there are some "relics" still around from back then...

thanks...t
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: old Bingham projects ...circa 1990-94
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
I have a recurve I built for my father in law in 1990, used walnut lams from Binghams.  I remember ordering lams from Fedora, and Appalachian archery back in the day.  Fond memories for sure.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
He actually killed his First Deer with a bow he dragged the log in and I made him up a one piece recurve forom that wood!

Now that's COOL right there!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Mike Falkner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
What a cool thread.  I have a bow made from Bingham materials from about ten years ago; look forward to seeing some older ones.  I agree with Kennym - hard to get more mojo in a bow than that...
Mike

Psalms 44:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©