3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting from the ground and stalking (blending in?)  (Read 269 times)

Offline Timmydatulip

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting from the ground and stalking (blending in?)
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Hello all, I am new to the forum. My question is I would like to try some ground hunting for deer this year and need some suggestions on a good camo, suit, or way to blend in well.

I plan on using this method for deer, rabbit, and squirrel. I do spend time in the trees as well but more locally I will have to be on the ground and would like to give myself the best odds.

I have seen ASAT and a couple other good camo patterns but I wonder if something else would work as well without dishing $100 to gear up. I currently have a real tree get-up and from my pine tree stand they will walk right up to the ladder.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

-Tim
55# 66" Great Plains cazador 3 piece longbow (for sale)

47# 56" Thunder Stick Mag

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting from the ground and stalking (blending in?)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
I use some type of Ghillie suit.  Have a couple different types.  One I got a wally world cheap when they were changing seasons.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Timmy, Plaid Wool or fleece shirts in neutral colors with drab color pants or tamarack camo surplus army pants will work as good as anything and can all be had for a few dollars at yor local Salvation Army store. Or other same type store. Wool and fleece are the quietest of clothing also.Good hunting.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
I have a Realtree pro series leafy suit that I treat with Permethrine before it frosts. Then after that I wear whatever is warm. Plaids, fleece, wool, etc.

A solid hunters orange vest and cap have been effective bowhunting the ground during our guns seasons.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
I think how you move is far more important than the camo you wear. Grey, brown, tan and other neutral/boring colors will work just fine in plaid.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Remember that in Michigan, you MUST wear something "Hunter's Orange" when hunting the rabbits and squirrels you mentioned.  Just trying to save you some aggravation down the road.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
When hunting with the Kodiak Magnum or my Horne's Brush bow longbow I do about 80% of my hunting from the ground. I will try to put out my pop up blind when possible, but as most of you know a natural ground blind is always better than store bought. Yes, the store bought blind will keep the rain off your cranium, but the natural blind won't spook deer like the store bought one will. Here's my "on the fly" method of building a quickie.
Necessary materials are:
Roll of trapping wire, wire cutters, brush pruning shears, wire ties, limb saw, and camo cloth if you have room for it in your pack.

I try to pick 3 small to medium sized trees that for a triangle. One big tree (for my big backside to rest against) plus 2 smaller trees that form a triangle is the Holy Grail of perfect blind locations, especially if it's near the trail you want to hunt. Bonus!
I simply start by examining the tree height from the ground where I'll be parking my behind, then measure up roughly to where I can hide behind it, yet still shoot over it. Normally it will be about 18-24" depending on what I'm sitting on. I start a wrap around the first tree in the triangle then go around the next, with one full wrap around, then onto the third tree and finish it off, leaving a small entry way into the blind. This forms a triangle pattern of wire, then I cut natural cover from whatever is available, normally cedar trees (great cover scent) and I'll cut enough to over hang the cedar limbs on the wire so the game cannot see underneath or catch my movement. It may take a fair supply of cedar, pine, or whatever is in your area, but cover the wire surrounding your blind with natural materials in that area. That's the ticket to blending in because the local game doesn't spook from it. If you want to take it one step further, cover the "inside" of the blind with camo burlap or cloth, that insures that NO animal, even a turkey can see you while inside. I've killed a coyote and 2 turkey using this method. Pics below.

This is what the deer see.

Inside it looks like this.

The proof is in the pudding, just get creative but you don't have to spend a lot of time on a blind. It can be merely cutting a few saplings and shoving them into the ground to give you some cover, then sit behind it. Use your imagination, what's the worst that could happen? You got busted? LOL
Maybe you won't get busted and get your kill?

Here's one more killed from a natural blind by a Big Old Hackberry tree on a ridge that I built a small enclosure around, hunting from the ground obviously.

FirstTurkeyWithABowBradfordRecurve001  by  Mohunter68 , on Flickr
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:39:00 AM »
Mix and match camo/ plaid works great.  Whatever you do don't wear patterns with too much dark overall or you'll look like a dark blob from far away.  Break up your silohouette.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Best way to blend in is not to move and stay in the shade. Observe the wind and move only when you are certain eyes are not on you, that includes chipmunks and squirrels that will chirp or bark alarms when they see you. Only time I have been successful on a stalk was when there was a light rain to mask my sound and hold down my scent.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Best way to blend in is not to move and stay in the shade. Observe the wind and move only when you are certain eyes are not on you, that includes chipmunks and squirrels that will chirp or bark alarms when they see you. Only time I have been successful on a stalk was when there was a light rain to mask my sound and hold down my scent.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Last week I put a stalk on a turkey (not the sick one I posted about). It was already out in a field and all I had was my leafy jacket and face mask. Well, things were going well until I had to cross an opening in the grass and I was caught in the wide open on my knees.  Fortunately my background was mostly head high weeds and golden rod. The turkey came up an incline and we both were totally in the open. I stayed still just to see how close she would get before she busted me. Well, she got close enough that I shot her. I have found that the leafy suit works great about 95% of the time and have had hunters walk by me at 5 yards or so and not see me. I have plenty of camo but if I had to use just one outfit I think it would be a leafy suit.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Get your Silhouette to be negative space.  Colors that "blend in" only work when you are laying down. once you stand up you will look like a walking tree...  food for thought...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
When moving always get next to something when you stop. A tree or cluster of trees, a bush or kneel behind a stump or big rock. Let nature work for you.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
The old style "chocolate chip" desert camo works great, and works in any season, and doesn't cost near as much as ASAT.  Another way to go is to buy an ASAT leafy suit on ****. I either wear the old desert or the new multicam, and put on the leafy suit when I get to my spot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©