3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow question  (Read 258 times)

Offline jarcher38

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow question
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Ive been shooting trad for a few years now and enjoy it more and more every year. I'm pretty close to just settin my compounds in the corner for the year. I have a question however, one of my recurves is an older Grizzly marked 40#x. I believe it's around 42-43lbs. I am shooting 30.5 carbons that are .420 spine. I draw the bow to 28". My question is I get terrible flight shooting cock vane out but get superb flight cock vane in. I don't might mind shooting it with cock vane in but it's kinda hard on my feathers and strike plate. Also I fairly new to tuning a trad bow. Any help opinions would be great.

Thanks Joey

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
Somebody will be along shortly that knows far more than I, but I would guess that you're stiff (unless you're really frontloading that shaft) and that shooting cock feather in is giving you a little extra "cushion". I've got a 43#@28" hybrid that I draw to 28", shooting Easton FMJ 500's at I think about 29.5" (been a while since I shot or measured them) with 50 grain insert and 125 grain tips that shoot pretty darn well. Good luck and keep at it!
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
What is your finger position on the string? I shoot 2 under with cock feather against the riser, it works for me and I get perfect arrow flight with field points and BH's. It could be your cushion that's causing deflection? I use the soft part of Velcro on the side plate and the riser plate, cock feather in, and 2 fingers under with a finger tab on my Kodiak Super Mag, perfect flight with everything.
Check your nock point, ie up and down of the nock on the string verses the level of the arrow on the arrow shelf. Plus I use one string nock (hard nock above and below the arrow nock)
One more thing, if your arrow is slapping the riser of the bow so hard that it's tearing up your fletchings, you may be underspined? Feather fletchings are naturally made to lay flat when clearing the riser of the bow and shouldn't wear all that much if the bow is tuned properly. It's hard to diagnose a problem without putting hands on the bow itself and actually shooting it. I'd suggest using Stu's calculator and determine if your correctly spined in your arrow selection/versus point wt. ect.
Here's the link, it works!
 http://heilakka.com/stumiller/
Hope that helps.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
I've built sets of arrows that do the same thing.  Basically, i think the combination of the shelf design and the spine being just a touch stiff makes that lower quill bounce off the shelf.  I've seen this on sets that were bareshafted prior to fletching, so om theory I should have been tuned.  I just turn the cock fletch in and keep shooting.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
Yes...in this case I believe that the arrows are disproportionately reacting to the stiff spine.  In my bows of this weight, I shoot .600 spine for the most part.  I have also used .500 spine with very high FOC.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Add progressively heavier points until you get the flight you want, unless you can actually go out and get a set of 500 spined arrows.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jarcher38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
thanks for all the help, i appreciate it very much. I should have said that i am shooting 175 up front plus the insert weight. so im probably right at 190gr

Offline jarcher38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
thanks for all the help, i appreciate it very much. I should have said that i am shooting 175 up front plus the insert weight. so im probably right at 190gr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©