3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow question  (Read 242 times)

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow question
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Am shooting a widow PCH  47"@28"  i draw 28.5".  Am currently shooting mfx classic 400"s cut to 30.5" BOP. full 75 grain insert glued in with 125 heads. fletching is 3x5" feathers. according to easton's charts the 400 is what they recommend. can't get stu's calculator to work on my apple. Do's this setup sound good to you guy's? Wondering if someone can run the numbers on stu's for me? Am using the widow string with the stock widow shelf and strike plate. I can see some kicking in the arrow's sometime's and am wondering if it is the arrow or me on the release. am asking before i get more cut down or if i would be better leaving them full length. thanks.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Seems too stiff to me. Those Easton charts are notorious for suggesting arrows that are way too stiff. Try adding more point weight, like 200grs. It might still be too stiff but its worth a shot.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I am shooting #58 r/d longbow that i shoot the a 100 grain insert and a 125 grain tip that if i don't release it perfect still seems to be stiff.  In my opinion, it should be too stiff, but a lot of factors can make it still fly well.  If you have a really smooth release that helps, if the bow is cut past center to where the arrow is actually center shot.  If i were you, i would try to find some insert weights.  I know with goldtip arrows you can buy 20 or 50 grain insert weights to test and see how much weight you would need to add.  

My best advice, buy a field tip test kit from 3Rivers and see what you come up with.  My guess would be that you need about 100 more grains up front, but that's just a guess!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
I think that the 400 shaft would be too stiff. If you want, I could send you an uncut 500 MFX Classic shaft with a 75 grain insert to try. Just PM me if you want to try to go that route.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
You can probably get the 400 to fly right at that length by going a good bit heavier on the point weight. Try a point weight of 175-225 grains and see how they fly for you. A 500 spine would be a little better bet though with a 175 or 200 grain head and standard alluminum insert.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©