3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smoke for scent control??  (Read 713 times)

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
Smoke for scent control??
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Years ago i was able the travel to West Virginia to deer hunt on a very close family friend's land. It was a great trip. The old timers there smoked everything by campfire each night before hunting to mask human odor.  I have done this ever since when hunting deer.  I tend to get very close to deer using only this tactic and playing the wind the best i can.  Does anyone else have any experience using smoke to mask their scent?

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smoke for scent control??
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Can't say I used that, but I smoke a pipe, and I've had two instances of deer coming up darn close to my ground blind when I've give up for the morning, lit a pipe, to relax a while for mid-day (when the deer aren't SUPPOSED to be moving).  While I wasn't looking, one poked his head right up to the opening of my blind.  I could have burned the forest down I jumped so high!
Linwood

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Yes I have used the smoke method quite successfully for years. I don't always use it, but it does have it merits. I believe some deer could pattern you if over used on the same deer.I like to use this method when camping and hunting whether here on home turf or DIY hunts elsewhere. I consider it the easiest, single best method of natural scent control. I believe it kills scent,as well as cover it.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the guys in West Virginia at the time were all rifle hunting!  Not near as much scent control needed as getting within 10 yards on the ground! However, as I said I have had deer walk right in front of me.  Maybe it was just luck I really don't know.

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
May be a dumb question, but with what kind of wood? Any certain wood " mask" better than another?Thanks

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Never used any particular wood, just what ever is there to burn.  Most of what I have is maple or oak.  I have never really gotten into using scent killers and such but a lot of guys around here do.  Heck, maybe I would see more deer if I used them!  I'm pretty happy with my results from the campfire though.

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
The discerning deer here seem to prefer English blends (see above reply) for those who know pipe tobacco; a friend reported that Peretti BCP (burley) had the same effect!
Linwood

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
Greybark, Any wood will work. You don't need a big fire, just enough to start a nice little pile of fallen leaves and or pine, spruce, or hemlock needles. Put enough on to smolder the fire. Heavy thick smoke is what you want. Just use what is natural to the area you are hunting. The possibilities are endless and fun to experiment. I sometimes use a more open fire and smoke clothes for hours and then air them out a little. I leave the outer worn garments well smoked usually. Not a fluke- it works!
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Fleatrap, I use both commercial scent killers and natural such as wood smoke. The combination can magnafiy the effect greatly. I use HS products because they work.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
OH, I also smoke a pipe.   :goldtooth:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
I've been thinking about trying smoke for the last couple weeks since I read    this thread.   Also, I found an ohio-based hunting forum where there were quite a few people who swear by using smoke to reduce and cover up scent.  I plan to buy a beekeepers smoke pot and give it a whirl!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
I was talking with a fellow tradgang member this past week and we had the "smoke,no smoke" conversation when he shared some information he had gathered from somewhere suggesting how different animals smell things differently.

Maybe animals may smell differently from the same way we smell things.

Single vs layered smelling.

Example: If we walk into some place that is cooking a good stew what we smell is "good stew" and to the contrary animals that depend on their noses for personal safety smell carrots,potatoes,onions, ect ect.

I think we may have some residual abilities to smell in layers as well.

I know when my ex would come out of the bathroom having sprayed some pine scented cover scent all I thought was...It just smells like someone pooped a pine tree in here...lol

Something to think about....or maybe not...lol

I use smoke...sometimes.. but not often enough to make any real observations that satisfy my questions about it's effectiveness.

I do however think that if you believe in something (anything) that elevates your confidence level then you're going to have a better chance at being successful.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline CLOVIS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Trails End 307 works very well. You can get it a wally world

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Mudd, it very well may be that we smell "stew" because we have learned that that particular combination (of carrot, potato, meat and spice) meant "stew".  I am guessing we can smell much better than we give credit for, we just need to use the gift more and trust in what we smell.

That said, we don't have the physical means to compete against certain critters (like. .  hmm. .  nearly all of the others).

ChuckC

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Buckeye Cam sold a smoker on their website
Not sure if they still do or not
I tried smoking my clothes one year
Didnt see any deer so Im not sure if it helped.
I can tell you that the odor is hard to get out.
Slickhead

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Just go spend $300 on an Ozonics machine.   :biglaugh:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
I don't think smoke alarms deer at any rate. Several years ago, my cousin and I were hunting in a timber together. His stand was about 150 yards upwind of mine. It was getting late in the day and I suddenly smelled cigarette smoke. Moments later I saw four deer walking through the timber toward my cousin. My first thought was, "Crap! Frank's going to get busted because of the smoke smell." They were out of range for me, so I just waited to see what would happen. About five minutes went by and my cell phone began to buzz. It was Frank, "Hey, I just shot a big doe, so you'd better wait a few minutes before you get down." His stand was between me and the truck.

Obviously, if I could smell the smoke, the deer did, but he shot that doe about 12 yards from his tree and she was directly downwind. He had to put out his cigarette and pick up his bow to shoot her.

I have read that Indians (or to be politically correct, Native Americans) used smoke as a cover scent as well. With the equipment they had, they definitely had to get close. I think I may give it a try this fall, especially when I plan to hunt from the ground.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Here is the system I use with great success and some good reading on this site:
 http://www.scentsmoker.com/
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
I believe Trumpkin the Dwarf had a thread about smoking his clothing then slipping through a herd of Elk...I'll see if I can find the title...It was a great read.

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
My dad and I have smoked before our hunts as long as I can remember and it has great results.  Like others have said, just pile up some pine straw and then keep rolling it where it doesn't flame up and get all in there.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©