3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters  (Read 25944 times)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Congrats AGAIN Joe! Nice shooting!

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Wow Jim,great job so far this year 2 for 2 nice shooting. Save some for us.   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I was fortunate enough to kill this buck on  Saturday morning.It ends a three year drought on whitetails for me.I killed some hogs and small game, but no deer.The curse is over. I used my new Hill Style longbow that I built this August.

I couldn't resist this last one of my grandson in his St.Judes auction overalls.

Good Luck Brothers!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Nice shooting.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Good to hear. Congratulations,
Ken Thornhill

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Way to go again,Jim.We should dub you 'The Deer Whisperer'.
Glen,glad to see the drought is over.That deer didn't stand much of a chance...I've seen you shoot.   :thumbsup:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by J.Williams:
Way to go again,Jim.We should dub you 'The Deer Whisperer'.
Glen,glad to see the drought is over.That deer didn't stand much of a chance...I've seen you shoot.    :bigsmyl:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
wind shift two steps before she was in the open...grrr

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Nice fellas. Congrats on the grandson too bud.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
So it's the hat,Jim? Maybe I should start wearing mine,nothing else is working.
I've had several does and fawns in close but the does won't give me a good shot angle.The other night I had 4 small bucks right under the stand,the only legal one was a 5 pt. but I'm holding out for something a litte bigger.I'd sure like to take one of dem dare does,though.Gotta wear that hat!   :D

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks Izzy.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Nice Glen!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Congrats Jim.

Glen,  I was happy to see your picture.  Congrats again.

I had some close encounters with a 4 point and a 5 point this weekend but couldnt get a shot off.  they were all on the wrong side.  Thats the problem with going inb blind on property you dont know.

Still a great weekend!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Congrats Jim and Glen!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Nice shooting Jim and Glen. Congrats.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
congrats Glen!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
It's alittle late, But Tyler & I, had a couple visitors over the weekend!!!!!

Charlie & Nathan came down for our Hudson Valley Rendezvous!!!

We had about 6 TradGang brothers last year & tried to get about the same crew together this year. However, due to lifes confilicting commitments... Most were unable to make it. We missed you all, My Brothers! You were the toppic of many a conversation!!!!!

Charlie & Nathan arrived Friday night around 9pm. We spent HOURS catching up,eating snacks & drinking too much beer!!! (THAT was Charlie's fault!) Plans were made to hunt the Fishkill Cemetary property that we have permission to hunt saturday morning.

Saturday morning, I was up at 5am & cooking breakfast. Scrambled eggs,Sausage Gravy & Biscuits. Bellys were rumbling,LOL!!! Apparently, all of the beer from the night before, was taking is toll..... After a while, things settled down. I assured the boys that a "late start" wouldn't be a problem! (Due to my crazy work schedule, I'm mostly a "mid-day" hunter. Rarely in the woods before 8-9am & seldom later than 3pm. I usualy ALWAYS see deer) We got down to the Cemetary about 8am. There was a flock of turkeys on one of the sections next to the woods & we passed them driveing in. We headed into the woods and I gave Charlie & Nathan directions down to my ladder stand. Nathan would sit in the stand & Charlie aliitle farther up along the swamp, on the ground in his Guille Suit. Tyler and I headed down to the "Stone Circle" blind, where he almost shot a Spikehorn last season.

About 9am, Thing started happening!!!!! Tyler saw a deer picking his way acrossed the hillside in front of us. It was totaly unaware of our presence, and in no hurry at all. It zig-zagged acrossed the hillside, then down the hill past our blind about 20-25 yards away.It was a small Forkhorned Buck,but boy was he FAT!!! Tyler never even put tension on the string,even though I'm sure he could have made the shot! He told me later, he thought it was too far. Good call on his part!!! he little buck picked his way down around our blind,then back up again, then back down around & headed off toward the Cemetaty..... All told, he probly hung around for about 45 minutes!

While we were first seeing him, another encounter was taking place on the other side of the hill,down by the swamp. Charlie & Nathan had a nice little 5 pointer wandering back & forth between the 2 of them. At one point he gave Nathan a beautiful 20yrd shot which he passed on, and came within 15yds of Charlie,only behind him... He just couldn't get turned around for a shot without spooking him!!!

Around 10:30, I told Tyler there was movement below us... The flock of turkeys we'd seen earlier was making it's way up through the woods. I'd forgotten my mouth call, so we just watched them as they made thier S-L-O-W progress up the hill..... I picked a spot on the forest floor, where I had shot & killed a turkey several years ago. It's a long shot,but "do-able"... I told Tyler if a turkey got into that sunlit spot, to put the tip of his Razorhead on the bird & let'er fly! Well, yler got alittle "impatient" and stepped up out of the blind onto a rock, to get a better shot..... AND THEY SPOOKED!!!!! They all started running & Tyler thought it was SO FUNNY that they all got it a line & followed each other!!! "IT WAS LIKE A CONGA LINE!" He said... We laughed for a long time about that, LMAO!!! About noon, Charlie & Nathan headed down to the "Stone Circle" and it was time to head home for Lunch.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Excellent story Chuck   :thumbsup:

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Our designated "camp chef" Nathan, made us a delicious lunch of marinated venison sandwiches. (and a few more beers) We took a much needed nap!!! Then, it was back down to the Cemetary for our evening hunt...

Chalie & Nathan again headed down to the swamp, while Tyler and I headed to the Stone Circle. When Tyler & I got down there, it was apparent the our flock of turkeys wasn't spooked too bad... The forest floor looked like someone ran through it with a Roto-tiller LOL!!! Charlie again played tag with the small 5 pointer again, without an oppertunity for a shot. It was a nice evening sit, all around!!!!!

Nathan made a delicious Venison Chille, and we had Chille dogs, Chips&Dip, and yes... More beer!!! LMAO! We made Plans to hunt Stewart State Forest sunday morning. It has designated parking areas and we had to be there EARLY!!!!! It was a realativly "early" night...(about 11pm!) and seemed we had no sooner hit the sack, when the alarm was ringing a 3am!!! We drove over to Stewart,and found ourselves 2 parking spots. Then, it was a chance to catch up on alittle sleep.....

I awoke & it was just starting to break day... I textd Charlie asking if they were in the woods, figureing that Tyler & I overslept..... No answer. I txtd him again & got a response, "we're getting ready now"... Apparently, The boys are getting the hang of this "late start" hunting technique I have been using for years, LOL!

We headed into the woods, and Tyler & I set up along 2 stone walls that intersected in a patch of oak trees, bordering a huge swamp. It was a beautiful spot with lots of sign... However, we did not see any deer. Just a few squirrels & a bunch of "sauceabirds" LOL. Tyler commented to me, that the view of the swamp & the woods & mountains behind it was BEAUTIFUL in the early morning sunlight!!!!! I think he's starting to learn, there's more to hunting, than killing deer!

We met up with Charlie & Nathan about noon, and it was time for them to hit the road. Tyler & I had a wonderful time!!!!! These men, my very dear friends, and Brothers in my heart, have taken my son under thier wing, and treat him as thier own!!!!! I am very blessed to have such wonderful friends in our life!!!!!

Thank You, My Brothers!!!!! My door is always open.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I got to dirty up some of my arrows this weekend.  It was a warm one on Sat and it put me to sleep.  I woke up to a deer standing 15 yards out munching on some acorns.  I didn't even have an arrow on my bow.  I stood u got my bow and knocked an arrow turned and saw the deer standing at 8 yards.  I took the shot he ran 20 yards and doubled over.  The Simmons did its job.  Those broadheads are lethal.

“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©