3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters  (Read 25937 times)

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
NICE, John!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!  :clapper:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline dbllng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: November 05, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Again, thank you all for welcoming me into your community; it is a privilege.

Chuck: I hunt mostly in the town of North East, specifically state land that borders on NY, CT and MA.

If any of you hunt in northern Dutchess County (or the vicinity), please get out there this week, even if it's only a half-hour before sunset or the first hour of daylight; it's prime-time now. Hunt the scrapes and create your own mock scrapes, don't be afraid to tickle the horns and make noise on the grunt tube, and be conscious of the wind.

Good luck to all of you; may your hunts be safe and memorable.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Up around Rudd Pond???

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Nice buck John, Ken keep the faith your next.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline dbllng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Chuck - yes, way up on top.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: November 05, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Congrats John, Great buck,nice
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: November 05, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Congrats John and Mike way to go
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: November 05, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Nice one, John.

Good "seein" day for me but no shots.  This AM got out and at about 8:00AM I heard soft footfalls.  A big 'ol eight-point was walking very slowly towards me.  Ooooooh boy!  He stopped frequently and I tried, and tried, and tried to ooze into a position as he would take a step, stop, scope the woods, take a step.  He was cautious.

Unfortunately, he was coming up from behind my right elbow - and that side of my red maple stand is well blocked with branches.  I couldn't lean out far enough whith the safety harness.  

After five or six minutes and as close as 20 yards he finally reversed course and walked off at the same speed.  I believe he might have winded me but was smart enough to just quietly go back the way he had come.  Kept in the heaviest cover all the way (brushy dogwood, small poplars and hawthorn).  By then my legs were shaking from holding a squat position waiting and hoping he'd shift path enough to cross into an open spot.     :D     I tried a doe bleat after five minutes and one soft grunt - but no further signs.

He was a nice one 180 to 200 lbs dress I'd guess - wide across the hips.  A healthy guy. Nice tall symmetrical rack with 8" tines.  It's about a five acre tangle he was moving along the edge of that had been a pasture 30 years ago and is now thick, low cover.  Usually a bedding area.

After lunch I watched three hens and one bearded turkey feeding on apples off a nearby tree.

Al and all - a great day.

Here's my stand tree.  I like to have cover behind - this time it cost me.  He was approaching from where my thumb is covering (picture was two years ago with the tuft of hair from a hit).

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: November 05, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Saw my first chase tonight ,small buck chasing a doe ,it got my heart racing for those few moments but no shot taken.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: November 06, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
nothing this morning.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I went out early & alone this morning.....

I decided to sit in my ladder stand, down by the swamp. I was slowly stillhunting my way down to my stand, and 2 heads popped up, about 30 yards away!!! I'm sure we were all thinking the same thing,at the same time,LMAO!!! (HOLY CRAP!!!!!) I honestly never seen them untill thier heads popped up. It was 2 twin Spikehorns... We all froze, but they were the first to head for cover!!! (I'm sure if they knew I only had 2 doe tags in my pocket, They'd have hung around for a chat!) No matter how hard I try, I can't find a bald head, to save my A$$!!!!!

I finished picking my way down to my stand,and climbed up in. About an hour, I saw a few turkeys on the other side of the swamp. They picked thier way around the edge of the swamp, and past my stand about 40 yards away without giving me a shot. There was 8 of them,all Jakes...

Idk what the problem is, all the women used to LOVE me!!! Now, they avoid me like the plaque!!!!!  :confused:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
did you see if the arrow got out the other side? 2 holes or 1? I think he's probably dead. I think that there's more myth about dear surviving arrows than anything else. a shot to the abdomen or chest is probably fatal 99% of the time, whether from blood loss or infection. A kidney has alot of blood flow ... that would kill you.

Any intestinal juices along the blood trail?

I'd probably give it another try and just circle out from last blood for 200yards .... maybe even start searching thickets just off of the nearby deer trails ... might get lucky. I doubt he's gonna live or is still alive ... just a matter of how far away he is.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: November 06, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Watched a buck chasing a doe at about noon today. I was out back of my work place. I work right on the fringe of Elmira Heights. Deer there all the time. Can't hunt them there, but it's a good situation for keeping a log on the rut activity. The buck chased her around for quite a while. Fun to watch. Nice little 8 point. It's going to be on and off with this warm weather. Hopefully we will get a cold snap or daytime activity will be stymied.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: November 06, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
The Lord blessed me with a 5 point this evening. Had 3 does go through just out of range and he was about 20yrds behind them. He stopped at 23 yrds and gave me a nice broadside shot. double lung pass through with a 525 gr arrow with a magnus 1 up front. Went down in sight. Used my Sasquatch longbow 45lbs at 27". Didn't get any pics, it was dark by the time I got him out. very happy!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Congratulations Larry. Woodchucker,I know how you feel. I haven't seen a doe all season. Mostly young bucks. I was out last Sunday morning on your side of the river and had a six pt come within ten feet from  the blowdowns I was hiding in. He hung around inside ten yds for over a minute. Plenty of time

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS, Larry!!!!!!!!!!  :clapper:

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: November 06, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Good job Larry.  Congrats.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

« Reply #417 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I don't know what happened to my post, though I see LittleBen responding to it. So I'll post it again. Last evening a small 8-point came in around 4:15. Took an 18-yard shot and as I shot he took a long step with the result that the arrow hit him in the area of the kidney. There was some blood around 25 yards from the hit, then nothing (no intestinal fluids either). Also, we haven't been able to find the arrow, which had fluoro green banana fletching. The folks who were helping me track (for 6 hours earlier today) think the arrow is still in the deer and that he would have bedded down within 100 yards if he'd been lethally hit. We checked all the deer trails, and covered the area (and well beyond) very thoroughly. It has been over 30 years since I lost a deer-- I feel sick about it.........

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: November 06, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
It happens Sue.......I would do a repeat search and think like a deer.......look to the thick stuff and try to pick up some blood or hair. Best of luck!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: November 06, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Congrats Larry.

Sorry to Hear Sue, best of luck!  :pray:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers