3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters  (Read 25907 times)

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters
« Reply #540 on: December 11, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Well done Terry!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #541 on: December 14, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
10 degrees with a steady east wind blowing between 15-20mph. Perfect weather to hunt a little thick spot by my house where the deer like to bed on days like today. Very similar to the Island of trees, if you've ever been to one of Shawn's hunts.

So I start slipping along, a little faster than I should have been, and come across some tracks that are pretty darn fresh considering that it's been snowing lightly most of the day. 5 feet ahead there is a small opening, if I can get there it will be a good spot to take a good look around, I get about 2 feet and 5-6 deer jump up and move off.

Fortunately when it's cold like this they don't go far if they're not spooked bad. I slow my pace and head in the direction they went. Soon I see them up ahead, about 40 yards out. They bed back down. I decide to hang there until they get back up. 1/2 hour later my hands are burning so bad from the cold ( light cotton glove on bow hand and only shooting glove on drawing hand) I've got to make a decision, now I can only see two of the deer, both bedded, facing away from me. So I work on closing the distance. After a super slow stalk, I'm 25 yards away, but it's way to thick for a shot. Hands are hurting bad now, the deer get up, if they go to my left, they will give me a twenty yard shot through some openings, if they go to the right...they're gone. They slowly start working to my left....come on girls, just ten more yards and I've got a shot! Wait! what's that? wind shift? c'mon, it's been steady all day! You guessed it, they change direction and head to the right, out of the thick stuff and across the road. So close....hands are almost thawed as I type this.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: December 14, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
That sounds pretty exciting, Larry! Close! It was pretty cold out there today.  I hope to get out tomorrow morning.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Great hunt Larry. Always good to be into deer. Tomorrow morning I am hunting a place that I haven't been to since early season. Fresh snow,gotta go

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: December 14, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Great Hunt Larry!

Good Luck Glen  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: December 15, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
Way to hang in there Larry   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #546 on: December 15, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Would have been nice for a bit of snow.....not over a foot!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: December 16, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Was going out today for an afternoon hunt.....one last try. I looked at the temp......I looked at the wind......I looked at the 12"+ of snow. Then I asked my knees, they said no. So I'm making a pot of chili. My season is over, it's official.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
You are a much wiser man the me, Ron.  I am heading out in our 30" of snow in a little while.  Opps, I just looked out the window...31" and counting!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: December 16, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
I can't wait for tomorrow night so I won't keep thinking I have to do this any more LOL!!!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: December 16, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Wiser maybe not, older absolutely......LOL   :biglaugh:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Im headed out in the morn with as much hope as 10/01 but if not, lord willing there will be next year. Ive had a great year.    

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: December 16, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
You ready for Moose River next September Mr. Purdey? Its on my mind constantly.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: December 16, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Lets get a date on that Moose River thing, I'd like to go, but I'm a schedule guy....
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #554 on: December 16, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Great minds think alike, Izzy!  I was going to contact you soon.

I'll tell ya, the last couple days of deer season I always like to sit in the forest in the snow for a couple hours and reflect on my deer season.  The good times as well mulling over the frustrating times, misses and such.  

And just about 2 hours ago I was sitting under a hemlock tree in 30 inches of snow thinking about Moose River and our great hunt we had.  Short but great.  It was the highlight of my fall deer season and I can't wait for next September!!!!!  I, too, think about it all the time. In fact at work this morning I made up a calendar and made sure I marked the 27th and wanted to put in for time off already LOL!  

Hey, the 27th of September is a Saturday next year, so maybe some more folks will attend.  Hear that schedule guy Mr Carr?  You are more than welcome to join us!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Dan,

We hunted the best part of 2 days and spent one night in the Moose River Plains area this past fall.  We will do it again and hope to spend an additional  night or two or three next year.  Early bow season is from Sept. 27 through the 30th, using leftover tag(s) from 2013.  Keep in touch as we plan this trip.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Im all in. Im probably gonna head in Thursday and hunt til Sunday.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #558 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I think the season next year starts on Oct. 1st state wide.......I could be wrong but I think they changed it. There will be no hunting with last years tags. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #559 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I just looked in the book that comes with your license and it says Sept. 27 but I think I read some place that it was going to change.....as I said I may be wrong....    :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©