3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ?? about Black Widow bows  (Read 1237 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
?? about Black Widow bows
« on: January 20, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
I just recieved a Black Widow flyer in the mail and was wondering if someone can explain to me why the limbs on the take down models are on opposite of the handle? Do they help with performance or something else? I like the way they look, but I've never shot one before, just curious. Thanks for the answers. Have a great day everyone.
David Janssen

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ?? about Black Widow bows
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I've owned and still own a number or Widows (among a number of other brands) for years and it is my overall favorite make of bow.  The forward-set handle and riser shape/mass are rather unique and promote consistent hand placement, a smooth draw (same draw length with comparatively shorter limbs than other makes) and excellent stability  (something that may escape lightweight/low mass bows).  The design also provides for a very tough and durable bow...as evidenced by the 'bent limb' demonstration on their company video provided with all new bows.  If all you do is shoot targets in the back yard and value 'pretty' more than practical then this may be a minor concern to you.  But if you treat your bows like hunting bows its not so minor.

BW has been selling fine bows and providing topnotch customer service since 1957...which says something about their shootability and consistent customer satisfaction.

Price and construction materials are often favorite targets of BW nay-sayers, but unless one has actual field experience with Widows AND with other brands, enough to make a logical comparison, then that nay-say perspective is a hollow claim of warm air.  In terms of the entire package of price, shootability, history, durability, looks, re-sale value and customer satisfaction during and after the purchase, this is a very hard bow to beat.

Sound like a BW commercial?  Sorry, just opinion based on past personal experience.  But don't take my word, try one for yourself.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
... :thumbsup: ... :thumbsup: ...:thumbsup...

Well Stated And To The Point!...Thank You!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
David, TSP makes great points. That said buy the one-piece TF, best performer of the Widows and best shooter. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I have my very first widow coming within the next week or so. I have wanted one for a very long time and got the chance to purchase a 2006 PSAX. I am partial to take down bows, my preference, nothing against one piece, just like take downs better. I will let you know how mine shoots when I get it.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I've had my MA-II, since June of 99, and she doesn't git babied...I use her hard, and she just keeps shootin!!!! If I can't tear one up, they gotta be good!!!

TSP, well said!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Bought my first Widow bow in April of 2006. I have hunted with this bow pretty hard and cannot be more pleased with the performance. I am a little mad at myself for waiting so many years to own a Black Widow. I hunted in all kinds of temps, with rain and snow, with NO issues what so ever. The customer service at Black Widow exceeds expectations.  You can "test drive" a widow to find out if they are for you.  

John III

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
After twenty years of whining my darling wife supised me with one for our anniversary. What a gal.Roger was great on the phone, very easy to order bow. Delivery was exactly as claimed. Couldnt be happier with my pma II. If you get the chance try one out. Happy hunting to all.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Could someone add the "MA" vs "SA" difference?

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
The difference between the MA and SA is the riser length. The MA has a 5 1/2" sight window compared to a 3 1/2" sight widow on the SA.  This makes for a little more room if you are a target archer, using an aiming system or shooting sights.  Although those aren't the only reasons for getting one, some just prefer the extra weight and feel of a longer recurve.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
They Hold Their "Trade-In" or Selling Value as well.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
they are great bows
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
:wavey:    :D
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
I've owned 3 of them. (PSR II, PL II, and a PSA V) All shot good.

I liked the PSR and the PL best. The PSA I had was LOUD!! I mean sounded like a .22 going off at the shot. That was with 10gpp arrow and string silencers.

The PSR and PL were very quiet, wished I'd kept both.

All in all, IMO, they are good bows with great customer service.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©