3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbons flying funny  (Read 526 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbons flying funny
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I just got a test kit of Carbon Express Heritage arrows. I've always used wood in the past but thought I'd try these. The 150's seem to fly the best (compared to 250's or 350's) with a 100 grain brass insert and 100 grain field point, but they still seem to fly kind of weird- they wobble a little in flight. Is my arrow too heavy up front compared to the rest of the arrow? Is the arrow too light overall? Should I put in weight tubes? I'm shooting uppers 40's# at 25" and my arrows are 27.5 inches long. As close as I can tell, with 200 grains up front, fletching, and nock, I'm around 500 grains. Any thoughts?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbons flying funny
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
What kind of bow? Make? What is the bow rated weight wise and at what length? (50@28?)

Wobble up/down left/right or corkscrew?

Double string nock point or single?

Three under or three split?

How tightly do your arrow nocks fit the string?

Off the shelf? Stick-on rest?

3 or 4 fletch?

4" or 5" feathers?

Posting these answers can help the carbon gurus with a possible diagnosis.

There could be several things making it all go haywire or a single thing. Get us the info above and we'll try to help. I am no guru, BTW.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Homemade laminate Hill-style longbow
about 61#@28"
Wobbles left and right
Three under
single nocking poinoff the shelf
Tight fit with nocks
Three 5inch shield feathers
Thanks

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I should add that none of the four CE arrows I tried seemed to fly well: 90, 150, 250, 350. Could it be a diameter issue- going from 11/32 to 5/16? I've made my own woodies always and have not had a problem getting them tuned ... I thought carbona we're easier!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
dang double tap.
sorry, anyone know how we can delete a post?
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Frank V:
Not being sarcastic, but I'd go back to the woodies that worked for you before?
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Frank- yeah I've thought about it. I guess I'm looking for something more durable and (I thought) easier to tune. I like the ease of inserts too (I know I can do that with woodies, but thought I'd try the carbons).

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
I think that you are pretty close considering the Hill style bow is probably not cut to center and at a 25" draw a 61# @ 28" bow will be close to around 52#. You might try going a little heavier on the point weight possibly up to 125 or 150 grains and see how that works.
James Kerr

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
I would try more weight up front if your arrows are already cut to that length if you have some full length i would try to start at 29" and shave off what you need from there. I find my Hill likes weak arrows.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
All I can add is I"m shooting 150's with 215 up front from about 51lbs bow. My arrows are 32". If you have your arrows cut that short and are shooting less weight you may be overspined?

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions!

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
I noticed you said nock fit was tight. That could also be an issue. You do want it to snap on, but a sharp tap on the string should dislodge it. I know the strings I have on bows that I shoot woods from are way too big for most carbon arrow nocks.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I would say you're way over-spined. I shoot 150's cut 29.5" with 225gr. up front out of 52 - 55# bows that are probably cut closer to center than your LB.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I don't know why but Ive never been able to get Heritages to fly for me either. Probably just me but I can usually get everything else to fly good.   Blll

Offline LFischer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Arrows are too short. I draw 26" and shoot at least a 29" arrow. I've never had any luck cutting them any shorter, even in heavy bows.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Sounds stiff to me.  Load up the point weight.  Maybe longer shaft. I am shooting 30" 150's 100 insert and 175 point in a 55@29.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
So, I did some research on other sites and a lot of folks say they just plain ol' have trouble with carbons out of an Hill-style bow. Not sure what the reasons might be for that (or if it is just some people's experience). In any case, I've got a Dwyer Endeavor coming soon (I hope really soon) and we'll see if things are different- a little heavier poundage might do the trick. In the meantime I've got a field point test kit coming and I'll see if more weight up front does the trick. I really don't want to do the CE Heritage 90's- they are an even smaller diameter than the 150's. Anyways, thanks for all the help. I guess it's woodies for now in the treestand...

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
When I shot carbon I was using the 150's cut 29" with 225 upfront on a 50lb. Hill with no strike plate. I was getting perfect arrow flight. As others have said you need more weight up front. You may need around 300 grains. I would install a 100 grain insert and get an assortment weight of field points.  Carbons will fly good out of a Hill bow if spined properly.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
This is why I love TradGang- thanks for all the responses!
So, a few of you have mentioned length. I get that if you shorten your arrow you stiffen the spine, but shouldn't the tolerance be much more forgiving on a carbon? I don't want 5 inches of arrow sticking out front if that is what it takes to get them to fly right. Even 29 inches seems too long. I would be very sad if 27.5 inches were too long on arrows that claim such a tolerance. I guess I'll just have to wait for my heavy points to come and see what happens.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Tolerance only has to do with the straightness of the shaft. In order to get good arrow flight the spine must be right for the bow.  Unfortunately carbon arrows become way to stiff at shorter lengths. I would not cut those shafts any shorter than 29". Cut them to short and you will never get them tuned .Most shooters start out with full length and cut 1/4" at a time in order to get them tuned.
 If you want arrows that measure close to your draw length wood shafts are the way to go. Not much room to cut carbons short.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©